kids mobile plans

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kass87

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hello does anyone know any good kids mobile plans

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

I have the Aldi family plan.  $80 a month for 4 sim cards. And more data than we could ever use.  Its in my phone, spare/kids phone, and 2 ipads.

Alternatively, everyone at work that doesnt use their phone much seem to like Boost mobiles 12 month pre paid plan. I think its about $150 for 12 months and 80GB of data.

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

DD has a $10 a month plan from Amaysim.

#4 kass87

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

CallMeFeral what does that include

#5 Chocolate Addict

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

My kid has $10 a month on Belong (an arm of telstra) that includes 1gb of data that you can roll over.

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

OVO $9.95/mth, unlimited talk and text, 2GB data. Uses optus network

#7 ~Kay~

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

Ovo isn't unlimited talk anymore but with the 2gb of data it's still good value. Most kids don't call much anyway.

It depends how your kids will be using their phones. My teenagers burn through data.

#8 Diamonddream

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:39 PM

Amaysim $10/month is unlimited calls and texts and 1.5 of data.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

DS1 is on a Vodafone pre-paid mainly because I wanted him to learn to moderate his data use and not constantly be on his phone and to budget for the costs.

#10 CrankyM

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

Just be careful what network they use. We can’t use any that don’t use the Telstra network as signal is very spotty for anyone but Telstra.

I’ve heard good things about Aldi and Woolworths also have their own one now which is 10 month for unlimited talk and text with 1gb. That is the one we are getting as we don’t have an Aldi near here. They also have a family sharing one available so you can share it between multiple devices (doesn’t include the smallest $10/month one).

#11 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

We use Kogan for the kids.

$150 for the year on a small plan with unlimited calls/texts and 80GB of data for the year. As my kids started out with 1.5gb per month on the small plan 80GB will be fine.

#12 BECZ

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

Currently looking for something for DD2 at the moment too.  It’s just an emergency phone as the younger two now walk to school alone.  It’s not that far, but I would feel more confident if they had a phone to contact someone if they needed to.  Also would be handy if it was teaming down or stinking hot and someone was going to pick them up to arrange a meeting point.

We’re leaning towards Woolies or Amaysim at the moment as data isn’t important.  It’s hardly going to be used, just more of a connection.

#13 susie78

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

My son has the $10/month from Belong as well. Unlimited calls and texts, 1gig of data.

#14 Lifesgood

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

CallMeFeral, on 01 February 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

DD has a $10 a month plan from Amaysim.
My DD has this plan too. Unlimited calls and texts and 1GB of data.

#15 -Emissary-

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

Do they need data?

DS is on Vodafone - recharged $40 and has 365 days expiry. We only went with Vodafone as Aldi sim didn’t work in his phone. It’s PAYG and doesn’t include any data. He has a Nokia 220 so can’t really browse anyway.

When he eventually inherits my phone, we will probably move him over to Boost.

Edited by -Emissary-, 01 February 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#16 IamzFeralz

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

A Kogan 1 year plan with 80GB when it was on special for DD.  I think it was about $168 for the whole year.

#17 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:04 PM

-Emissary-, on 01 February 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

Do they need data?

Mine do. If usual trains aren’t working they can use PTV app to work out an alternate route home. Has happened a few times (unfortunately).

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

Do they need data?

For mine we needed at least a tiny bit of data for location tracking.

#19 lizzzard

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

Do they need data?
I think it depends on your lifestyle- are there lots of opportunities to use the phone outside the house (commuting, lots of waiting room time at appointments, or frequently eating out etc).

We found DS11 didn’t really need data. Both kids (13 and 11)  share my data and we never run out. They’re constantly connected but mainly using the house wifi.

#20 Quick hedgehog

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:43 PM

BECZ, on 01 February 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

We’re leaning towards Woolies or Amaysim at the moment as data isn’t important.  It’s hardly going to be used, just more of a connection.

We have a phone that we use like this. It doesn't 'belong' to anyone, it just lives in the house and if one of the kids is going out they take it. It has an Aldi $15 prepaid on it which has 365 days expiry. So basically costs only $15 a year because while it is often out with someone, calls and texts are rarely made on it and I have never had to top it up until the expiry date comes around.  

You can also add a data plan to it, that gives you 24GB for I think about $99, again with 365 days expiry, which is more than enough for any emergency use that might come up.

#21 BECZ

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:30 AM

Quick hedgehog, on 01 February 2020 - 10:43 PM, said:

We have a phone that we use like this. It doesn't 'belong' to anyone, it just lives in the house and if one of the kids is going out they take it. It has an Aldi $15 prepaid on it which has 365 days expiry. So basically costs only $15 a year because while it is often out with someone, calls and texts are rarely made on it and I have never had to top it up until the expiry date comes around.  

You can also add a data plan to it, that gives you 24GB for I think about $99, again with 365 days expiry, which is more than enough for any emergency use that might come up.

Thanks!  I will look into it.  

#22 tiggy2

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:42 AM

We’ve been happy with the Amaysim $10.
We first tried Belong and couldn’t get a functional sim - I bought and returned 4 and none of them worked. It was a common problem at the time - not sure if it’s better now.

#23 bertbub

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:01 AM

My daughter uses Aldi. Telstra network, unlimited calls, 3gb data, rollover of any unused data. $15 per month.

#24 LucyGoose

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

My DD has the Amaysim one $10/month.  Think we got it from Kmart.   It is an emergency phone only at this stage,  but we wanted a small amount of data.

#25 liveworkplay

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

BECZ, on 01 February 2020 - 03:17 PM, said:

Currently looking for something for DD2 at the moment too.  It’s just an emergency phone as the younger two now walk to school alone.  It’s not that far, but I would feel more confident if they had a phone to contact someone if they needed to.  Also would be handy if it was teaming down or stinking hot and someone was going to pick them up to arrange a meeting point.

If data isn't important, go for something with no data like Telstra long life. $30 for 6 mths. If they do call or text it is expensive, but if it is just for emergencies it is the cheapest way to go. That is what we started out kids off on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.