Installing a doggy door

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Tjljjw

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

I have just moved into a new house and I need a doggy door installed, the first quote I got was for over $600! They replace the whole glass with toughened glass not just install the doggy door into existing glass.

This is not the cost I expected at all!

Has anyone else had one installed and can they just put it in existing glass and approx how much was it?

I dont really want to get one of the temporary ones that lock into the existing screen doors as it is in the main sliding door and I want something that is not unsightly.

#2 SummerStar

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

No they can't just put it in existing glass apparently and that's the cheapest quote I've seen!!! Where are you located and who's the company I'd like to get in touch.

Cheapest I've been quoted is $750 up to $900+.
So we have one of the temp ones which really doesn't look unsightly, but I'd like to be able to lock the door without makeshift plugs to secure it.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

Sounds right to me. They can’t cut modern glass, it shatters. So they do it off sight and then install the whole pane. We have had it done twice in two houses. Price seems about right.

#4 DaLittleEd

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

Sounds right. You also don't want a dog barrelling through a dog door at speed if it isn't set in toughened glass - you are likely to end up with broken glass.

My preference is to have one fitted into a security screen on sliding doors.

#5 Tjljjw

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the replies, I guess I just had no idea how much it would be!

The $600 quote was from a place called GlassNow. I am in Brisbane.

What I am worried about it installing it and she wont use it as she is 7 and has never used one before.

What at the temporary ones like in regards to security? Can they be securely locked and how would an insurance company view them?

#6 Tjljjw

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Sorry also does anyone know who would install them into the security screen door (diamond grill)? Would that be cheaper?

#7 SummerStar

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:47 PM

Damn. I am in Sydney. Expensive to get them here. We put bolts at the end of the sliding door top and bottom to lock it against the dog door so it seems secure to me. No idea about insurance though never asked them but the door is locked.

#8 DaLittleEd

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostTjljjw, on 03 February 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

Sorry also does anyone know who would install them into the security screen door (diamond grill)? Would that be cheaper?

I have only ever had them installed at the time of putting in a screen door, but it should be easy enough to do - they might just need to take the screen door off to do it. If you have an existing screen door look and see if it has an stickers with the manufacturers name and ring them. Otherwise just look at local security screen companies.

Wrt to your dog being 7, it shouldn't be a problem, we have taught dogs adopted as adults to use dog doors successfully. To start with have a person standing on either side (inside and out) with supplies of treats, hold the door up and just get doggy walking through. Then move to holding it less and less open until she is at the point where she is head butting it open. Lots of treats and you will be right.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

View PostTjljjw, on 03 February 2020 - 02:36 PM, said:

That means you have to have your main door open all the time.  Letting the weather in.  Not sure where you are, but i wouldnt recommend that in Melbourne.  We used the screen door for security and had the dog door in our glass sliding door.  Means you can lock the screen door and no one can break in through the dog door.

Those insert ones are pretty secure, you have to screw them into your door frame though I think, to make them secure.

#10 IamtheMumma

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

What about a portable one? I used one at rental properties. Undo the security screen clip in the wall and put it into the dog door. You can still secure the door that way.

Edit - I'm talking about the floor to ceiling ones. They have an adjustable top that slips into the tracks and can be adjusted to fit the height of your door.

https://www.bunnings...dware/pet-doors

Edited by IamtheMumma, 03 February 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#11 jayskette

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

geez 600 is cheap, mine was 1300

#12 Murderino

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

My dad and sisters have something like this:
https://www.modernpe...oors-base-model

They are fixed the frame somehow and the sliding screen door locks to it. The glass door slides past it and locks in the frame. If they want to leave the glass door open they have a bolt that locks up into the top frame so the glass door is locked open just wide enough for the dog door and the screen door I locked to the dog door panel.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

tell you what though, whatever you pay, its worth it! we have always had a dog door, cant imagine what a pain it would be to have to go open the door for a dog all the time. Its been so good for our little pug.  Especially since, being a pug, he isnt exactly an all weather dog.  he needs to be able to come inside when its too hot.  Id feel so bad if i ever left him outside and went to work by accident.

#14 BusbyWilkes

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostDaLittleEd, on 03 February 2020 - 03:05 PM, said:

I have only ever had them installed at the time of putting in a screen door, but it should be easy enough to do - they might just need to take the screen door off to do it. If you have an existing screen door look and see if it has an stickers with the manufacturers name and ring them. Otherwise just look at local security screen companies.

Wrt to your dog being 7, it shouldn't be a problem, we have taught dogs adopted as adults to use dog doors successfully. To start with have a person standing on either side (inside and out) with supplies of treats, hold the door up and just get doggy walking through. Then move to holding it less and less open until she is at the point where she is head butting it open. Lots of treats and you will be right.

In theory, this is the case. However, it is possible that they won’t use it (and it will be an expensive mistake).
We have actually done what you suggested, initially with regular treats, and at one stage with a whole roast chook, just to see if that would motivate him. Nup!!

#15 frazzle

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

Another way to encourage reluctant animals (we did this with a cat) is to take the flappy bit off for a while just to get them used to going in and out. Then re hang but tape it up (so it doesn't bang down on them).
And yes we just paid $500 for a glass dog door but that was with me driving the door into the glass place and them installing it there (we re hung it at home)
Since I managed to walk off the edge of my deck half asleep with my older dog so he could pee (no dog door) and smashed my wrist the $500 was a no brainer with the new dog.

#16 Inkogneatoh

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

View PostTjljjw, on 03 February 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I just had no idea how much it would be!

The $600 quote was from a place called GlassNow. I am in Brisbane.

What I am worried about it installing it and she wont use it as she is 7 and has never used one before.

What at the temporary ones like in regards to security? Can they be securely locked and how would an insurance company view them?

Our dog was about that age when we got ours. It took a couple of weeks of food treats and "assisting" him through to get him used to it. Kind of. A year later and we still have to have it taped open as he refuses to go near it while closed, despite being see through. He is however a Pomeranian-Chihuahua cross, so small enough to have it open and not be a security risk. We've also never pushed it. Took him longer to remember that we had moved it.

His old "door" was adapted into the roller door of the garage (we had a metal plank that sat under the door leaving a gap), so was just a gap with no flap, with a movable fence leading to the yard. We had to do several modifications to accommodate Mum's wheelchair. The roller door had to be removed to put in a sliding door, so we moved his door to the new wall that was put into the kitchen, where a door was removed to put in appropriate benches. The bench had to have a gap in the cupboards to accommodate the wheelchair so the builder just added it to the wall he was filling in. As a result, the dog does have a step on the outside, which was an issue to start with, but he's adapted to that as well.

#17 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

We just had one done in Perth and it was about $600. They replaced the whole pane of glass as well. It took about 3 weeks before he went out without coaxing, but it’s also not in the same door that we would normally have let him out.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 03 February 2020 - 04:29 PM.

#18 just roses

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:50 PM

If he hasn’t used one in seven years, do you really need one?

We decided against it when we got security screen doors recently, because for the size it would have had to be (for a whippet with a deep chest) a child or small adult would easily be able to get through too.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

Price sounds about right, yep while new pane and our dog who is about 16yo worked it out in a couple weeks.

#20 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

You could have a look for a second hand temporary dog door, see how your dog (and you)  go with that and then decide if it's worth the investment of having one put in the glass?

#21 ByJeepersMizPeeper

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

View PostMurderino, on 03 February 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

My dad and sisters have something like this:
https://www.modernpe...oors-base-model

They are fixed the frame somehow and the sliding screen door locks to it. The glass door slides past it and locks in the frame. If they want to leave the glass door open they have a bolt that locks up into the top frame so the glass door is locked open just wide enough for the dog door and the screen door I locked to the dog door panel.

We have one like this but we also have the microchip coded dog door so the cat can't get outside, the only problem with thee is you loose so much door space, we put ours in the laundry sliding door & don't use the door.  Other than that they are fantastic, so easy to install. Ours wasn't cheap because of the microchip door but it's much better made than the Bunnings ones.

#22 SummerStar

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

That is what I want the microchip option. Did you buy online and where from? The only microchip one we could find when we got ours was one that needed to be installed in the glass door.

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

We couldn’t find a microchip one big enough for our dog. DH was completely deluded about the size and agility of our dog, cat and children.

“Only a tiny child will fit through the dog door.” Yep, a tiny child the size of our 15yo, who is 175 cm tall. However, as my friend pointed out, strangers don’t know what’s on the other side of a door that big.....

“The cat won’t manage it - it’s too high.” She’s a cat! She can jump the high fences even though she only has 3 legs.

So we have to lock the dog door whenever we got out for any length of time and at night to keep the cat in (the cat door is microchip controlled).

#24 ByJeepersMizPeeper

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

This is the one we have, they are small though
https://www.patiolin...p-insert-medium

and iit only opens one side with the microchip & the other is free like a normal doggy door so to set it up so on other animal could get in and out we had to install a second microchip door to our internal laundry door. It's a major design flaw in the larger sized microchip door.  Their smaller one is dual but there's no way most dogs would fit through, our Jack Russell barely gets through this one.

I do like it though, it just ended up costing a bit more than we first thought, you're paying a lot more for the microchip door than you should but it's the convenience of it all being there to install easily.

#25 kadoodle

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

My parents paid about $800 for theirs (glass sliding door). He managed to dislocate his shoulder crashing through it to hurl abuse at a trespassing cat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.