Rice cookers

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Moukmouk

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

I’m thinking a rice cooker might be useful in our increasingly busy house. We have some nights where we have lots of different comings and goings. And my new microwave doesn’t have the same rice setting as the old one and I can’t get it right reliably. And it doesn’t do bigger quantities as well. Any experiences? Recommendations? Warnings? I really want just a rice cooker. I have a pressure cooker.

#2 Riotproof

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

Depending on what you cook to go with, you might be able to use pot in pot method to cook your rice above the main dish.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

We love ours, and I'm not an appliance addict.  I do find they only last a few years, which is a problem for me environmentally.   We've only bought basic ones, though. Good quality ones may last longer. Choice would have research on that.

Our problem is we don't get around to buying a good while while the current cheapie is still working, so end up buying a replacement in a hurry.

#4 Moukmouk

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 05 February 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Depending on what you cook to go with, you might be able to use pot in pot method to cook your rice above the main dish.

I really want to be able to just cook a good quantity of rice by itself. Especially if I make two versions of (eg) a curry. I do use the other methods depending on what I’m doing - eg clay pot in the oven.

View Postborn.a.girl, on 05 February 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

We love ours, and I'm not an appliance addict.  I do find they only last a few years, which is a problem for me environmentally.   We've only bought basic ones, though. Good quality ones may last longer. Choice would have research on that.

Our problem is we don't get around to buying a good while while the current cheapie is still working, so end up buying a replacement in a hurry.

which one do you have? I’m happy to spend a bit on a good one if I know it works well

#5 AllyK81

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

We use ours a lot. You can cook any grain in it. Quinoa, pearl barley, freekah etc.

We have always had just cheap ones and they work wonderfully well. We are onto our second. Our first one lasted us 12 years and was just from Coles.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

I will add that I don’t have one but I really kind of want the Tefal multi cook and stir grains appliance. I just don’t have space.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostMoukmouk, on 05 February 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

which one do you have? I’m happy to spend a bit on a good one if I know it works well

It's just a basic sunbeam, but I feel it's on the way out, too, the level doesn't stay down sometimes.

I guess 'a few years' is probably unfair, probably more like five years for each one.

We eat a lot of curry, so it gets quite a bit of use.

#8 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

i love my rice cooker....it’s the only way i cook rice, any other method IMO results in a sodden gluggy mess. i just got a cheap one from IGA in Haymarket - this far lasted for around 8 years. it’s great - just whack the rice in and water then forget about it, it cooks it, keeps it warm ...

#9 Jingleflea

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

I have a plastic microwave rice cooker.
$10, has lasted me a decade or so.

I can't cook rice any other way. I do only cook enough for 3 people so not sure how it'd go doing a HEAP of rice.
Takes 10 minutes or less.

#10 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

I absolutely LOVE mine too.  It's a Breville, and has been going around 15 years of weekly or twice weekly use.

I grew up in an Asian household so rice is a staple (and I've usually got some in the fridge.  I know people always say you shouldn't, but none of my family - close and extended - have EVER been sick from reheating cold rice, so I take the risk).  I cook around 3 cups, and then after using it for dinner, I just put the whole rice cooker pot in the fridge (once slightly cooled).  Then we heat it in the microwave as needed for the next couple of days.

I don't know how to cook it any other way, and love that I can have something in the multi-cooker (slow or pressure), rice cooking in the rice cooker, and then throw something in the microwave.  

My only advice is not to get a shiny stainless steel one.  I hate the fingerprints all over it.

#11 Gumbette

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

I use a steel mixing bowl with some water on a pot stand inside another pot with water (don't know if that makes sense).  I don't like crust on the bottom of rice cookers as I think it's a waste.  Takes longer to make though - probably 45 minutes.  I had no idea eating reheated rice could make you sick - we've been doing this since.... well forever.

#12 JoanJett

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I use mine several times per week, as we eat a lot of Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern food.  I had a cheap supermarket one for 10 years and only bought a new one as it we needed bigger capacity.  I bought my new one from Kmart for about $50, and it works well.  I use it for jasmine rice, basmati rice and short grain sushi rice - just need to alter the water ratio for the different types and when and how much to fluff the rice.  It's probably the appliance that is used the most often and regularly in our home, as the slow cooker is used mainly in colder months.  It is really useful for keeping the rice warm, as often meals happen at different times for different family members.  Like any method for cooking rice, the only warning is to rinse the rice well before cooking so that you don't have it catching and burning on the base plate.

ETA re reheating rice and getting sick, this is a big one I remember from microbiology in Med School.  The saying was "yesterday's fried rice is tonight's gastroenteritis admission".  The culprit is Bacillus cereus, as uncooked rice often contains spores that are not killed by cooking.  The big problem is how you store rice before reheating.  If it's left at room temperature, the spores cans grow into bacteria and may produce toxins, which again are not killed/inactivated by cooking.  If you cool rice quickly ie put it in the fridge straight away, and reheat it thoroughly, you are less likely to have any problems.  You should only keep in the fridge for one day and you shouldn't reheat it more than once.  It used to be common that fried rice was left at room temperature in restaurants in the 70s/80s and reheated and served later, so it was more commonly a problem.  It's also why cold rice salad should be refrigerated.

Edited by JoanJett, 05 February 2020 - 01:20 PM.

#13 BornToLove

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

We have a smaller basic rice cooker from Coles. Sunbeam maybe? There is only 3 of us, so just wanted a smaller one over fancy settings.

#14 just roses

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the newer version of the one I've had for about five years.

I use it all the time and it's perfect. The steamer tray is also pretty handy for doing veggies on top.

https://www.breville...ers/brc210.html

#15 Babetty

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

My husband's Chinese and we love our rice cooker. We've had a Breville in the past but Tiger is by far our preferred brand. They have some incredibly fancy electronic ones, but ours is similar to this https://www.applianc...-cooker-jnp1000

I'm not a fan of the floral designs, but in this case I'm willing to overlook it.

#16 BusbyWilkes

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

We’ve also got a Breville. It would be 15 years old and still going strong. Slightly smaller than JustRoses’ one. Has  the steaming basket for veggies. I have also made
“risotto” in it, and sweet rice dishes.

#17 wannabe30

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:13 PM

I’ve had a Tefal that’s been going for almost 12 years. It’s a multi-purpose one (its also a slow cooker) but we mainly use it for rice, prob 1-2 times per week. Super easy to use - just throw it in and turn it on.

#18 Lunafreya

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

I have a Breville and love it. So handy to have the ride take care of itself so I can take care of other things.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

View PostJoanJett, on 05 February 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

Like any method for cooking rice, the only warning is to rinse the rice well before cooking so that you don't have it catching and burning on the base plate.

You learn something new every day!

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

View PostJoanJett, on 05 February 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

ETA re reheating rice and getting sick, this is a big one I remember from microbiology in Med School.  The saying was "yesterday's fried rice is tonight's gastroenteritis admission".  The culprit is Bacillus cereus, as uncooked rice often contains spores that are not killed by cooking.  The big problem is how you store rice before reheating.  If it's left at room temperature, the spores cans grow into bacteria and may produce toxins, which again are not killed/inactivated by cooking.  If you cool rice quickly ie put it in the fridge straight away, and reheat it thoroughly, you are less likely to have any problems.  You should only keep in the fridge for one day and you shouldn't reheat it more than once.  It used to be common that fried rice was left at room temperature in restaurants in the 70s/80s and reheated and served later, so it was more commonly a problem.  It's also why cold rice salad should be refrigerated.

To my knowledge I've never had a problem with leftover rice.  I can't imagine my mother, or any of the other parents in the 50s throwing out food, although I suppose she may have given it to the chooks if it was a few days old.

I just put the inner pot in the fridge with the lid on it, and scoop out what we want to reheat, but definitely don't use it within a day.

I treat it the same as any other leftovers - a few days, but never reheat food and leave it out for any period. If we're eating any leftovers, it's heated and eaten straight away.

#21 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:54 PM

Thanks JoanJett for the rice bacteria lesson!  :-)  Makes total sense.  And I'd probably be more careful if I was pregnant or still had babies.  

That's what we do - whole pot (and lid) in the fridge.  I leave it up to three days though.  

You can also freeze and defrost rice quite easily.

The Breville one linked above is the one we have too - or the model 15 years ago!  I  personally like the ones where the lid sits on the pot, so the whole thing can go in the fridge, rather than the style where the lid is part of the outer body and the pot sits inside it.

I also like the glass lid, so I can see how close to finished the rice is.

Personal preference though, I'm sure.

#22 Gumbette

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

I leave mine on the bench, sometimes for a couple of days and just reheat every night.

Dinner at my house anyone???

#23 Riotproof

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

You probably need a sign with that warning.

#24 No Drama Please

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:24 PM

Lol my MIL keeps leftover rice pretty much forever. Her favourite is mixing rice she finds in some old Tupperware container with mayonnaise that’s probably been in the cupboard a few years as well, and using it to stuff tomatoes which then sit in the fridge till you know, “company calls”. She never gets sick! Ever! How!

#25 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

The other reason to rinse your rice ( apparently 4 to 6 times until clear) is too reduce the arsenic in rice. All rice (apart from basmati) takes up arsenic while growing, even organically grown rice. Rinsing is enough, it was once thought you had to soak it overnight.

I personally microwave ours as we are only a family of three and I don't want another appliance taking up bench space. I personally would onsell my microwave and buy another one that did cook my rice well.  I've had 2 Sharp Carousel microwaves that akways cook my rice well. I always stir and let it de-steam before serving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.