What do you put in a loot bag?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

So sitting down to organise DS's birthday party & trying to figure out exact,y how mich do you put in the party bags?

So far i'm thinking:

Mini bouncy ball
Smiley face pencil
Bubbles
Mini pull back car
Freddo frog
Pkt Tiny teddies
Pkt lollies

Too much? Not enough?

What else - I've got about 14 kids coming.

#2 seayork2002

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

That is about the amount I do so for me perfect amount!

#3 Lunafreya

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

That sounds good :)

#4 Riotproof

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

It’s fine, but tbh I am over the plastic crap that lasts 5 minutes.

#5 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 06 February 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

All those little things add so much clutter to my life. I’ve gone with a pencil/hot wheels car and some lollies recently. One party did a toothbrush and toothpaste and it was a hit for most kids! (Can you guess the parent’s profession :lol:)

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 06 February 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

True, i'm toying with swapping out the bouncy ball & pull back cars for a proper handball each. They all play at lunch. That leaves the bubbles as the only plastic clutter.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 06 February 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

True, i'm toying with swapping out the bouncy ball & pull back cars for a proper handball each. They all play at lunch. That leaves the bubbles as the only plastic clutter.

for some I put small erasers and some other small stationery things and sticker sheets (they come in a little notepad type book in the Reject/dollar shops)

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Good idea to swap out the bouncy ball - choking hazards to younger siblings - everyone loves bubbles and handball  - great amount of stuff, on the generous side as well if you need to leave anything out you can

#9 Riotproof

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

That’s way better, imo.

#10 Lou-bags

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Agree with your handball idea.

Mini bouncy balls go straight in the bin here. I’m reasonably relaxed about small bits and pieces but those scare the sh*t out of me as a choking hazard.

#11 Bereckii

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Handball + tiny teddies + 1 lolly = perfect.

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 06 February 2020 - 12:29 PM, said:

Agree with your handball idea.

Mini bouncy balls go straight in the bin here. I’m reasonably relaxed about small bits and pieces but those scare the sh*t out of me as a choking hazard.

Definitely a hand ball instead of a small bouncy ball.  I'm another one who throws them straight in the bin.  My kids are well past choking age but I do worry that one of the dogs will chew on them and choke.

ETA - A boy in Australia choked to death on a ball that his Mum had bought to put in the loot bags for his 4th birthday.  Tragic.
https://www.news.com...0ff5d52a0b44de4

Edited by hills mum bec, 06 February 2020 - 12:43 PM.

#13 JBH

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

To be honest, I am over loot bags - a combination of junk food and landfill. That said, I haven’t yet been game not to give anything out at the end of a party. I’d rather go with one decent item, like a hot wheels or a handball or a tennis ball Or a Tech Deck or even a kit Kat. I buy the bulk packs and break them up. I don’t think that would be more expensive than all the stuff you’ve planned. That said, if it will delight your little one, that’s one great party bag!

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

I try and give one decent iem and then 2 wrapped sweets and a mini sticker sheet. Items recieved or given in the past include Barrel of Monkeys game ( $5 from Kmart), Lego mini figure blind bag, Hot Wkeels car, mini jigsaw puzzle, Zuru Oosh Putty ( doesn't dry out like slime).
I find once you add up a whole heap of little stuff, it's almost at $5 per person anyway. However these are party bags, not bags you give out to tbe entire class.

#15 spr_maiden

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:07 PM

I'm thinking of a pair of goggles and handful of lollies for next party bag - pool party.
I think the handball and lollies is perfect!

#16 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

We have been doing things like a themed mug or glass with hot choc sachets and a small pack of oreos instead of loot bags.

They work out the same price as the junk but they seem a bit more useful. Kids and parents have all been really happy with that kind of thing, we have had lots of comments on how much better they are.

#17 sahmie

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

Bouncy balls get thrown out here - younger sib makes them unsafe.
Little tubs of playdoh (you can buy a pack of 12 or 15 at Kmart for $7 or less) are fun up to 5 (and actually my 9yo still loves a bit of playdoh).

#18 Luci

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

I like the handball idea OP.  I don't put any trinkets into lolly bags at all. I used to when the kids were younger but I think all those little bits and pieces of plastic are a waste of money. So now I just have a few lollies. Perhaps a mini choc bar, a chuppa chup, a few natural confectionary company lollies.

#19 Chicken Penang

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:44 PM

I prefer a few lollies or little packet of popcorn or tiny teddies. A pencil is okay. The rest gets chucked as soon as we get home.

#20 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

i just do lollies, freddo frog, that type of thing. i’m over the plastic crap ...

#21 Let-it-go

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

Please no to mini bouncy balls or erasers.  I swear I could rub out pencils constantly and I wouldn’t come close to using half the erasers we’ve been given in loot bags, by teachers, in stationery packs in presents.

A few lollies is fine.

#22 #notallcats

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Big W do mini rubik cube knock offs. And also an eraser puzzle cube, both were a hit with my kids.

https://www.bigw.com...-pack/p/666678/

Mine love the bouncy balls, I hate them!

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

Yes I won’t let the kids have those bouncy balls, I put them straight in the bin, I still don’t trust my kids with them plus they are a choking hazard to the dog

I have done tubs of slime, and little soft toys from Kmart for about $4 that were a huge hit, just a single item in the brown paper loot bags you can also get at Kmart

#24 froglett

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

My SIL just did a mini puzzle for each child at DN birthday recently. Great hit with the kids and no crap (both lolly wise and plastic crap wise).

The more parties my kids have been too, the more I hate lolly bags. I'd send the kids home with a slice of cake and leave it at that. Or add the handball like you suggested; they'll get use out of it.

#25 amdirel

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

Lollies/choc only IMO. I don't like the crap. If you desperately need a *something*, I don't mind the idea of a proper high bounce handball, with lollies/choc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.