Google Nest Mini

31 replies to this topic

#1 4lilchicks

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:41 PM

I recently got a Google Nest Mini and  wondering what other families do with theirs. So far I've figured out how to ask about the weather and stream radio stations - that's it!

#2 Romeo Void

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:18 PM

Timer is a huge one in our house

#3 SummerStar

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

We have Google play for the family. So they're really only used to play music from that in whatever room. We have got all ours free so have them dotted around the place for that.

#4 Moo-me

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:15 PM

I have one in my bedroom and one in the kitchen. I use it for my alarm, a lot more peaceful than an iPhone alarm. I can also use it call my mum’s google nest at her place and talk to her like that (usually when she doesn’t hear her mobile ringing - no house phone either), play music via Spotify, listen to podcasts, tells me my transit times to get to work, add things to my shopping list and set reminders - “hey google remind me at 7pm to put the washing out” then I get the notification on my iPhone at 7pm. Really helpful! I think there is allot more but I haven’t looked into it enough. I would like it to wake me up with the radio tbh..

A new one I learnt “hey google give me a compliment” hahaha

Oh and you can broadcast your voice from your iPhone google nest app to the device. I’m not sure when you would need this ‍♀️

#5 Moo-me

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Oh and of course control smart appliances and lights! I’ve seen lights from $15-$100 (check out Kmart and officeworks for affordable options) and plugs $30+

Turn lights off, set routines etc

#6 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

You do realise that Google records every single thing you or anyone else near the thing says? And then they're using that info for whatever they like? Just checkin...

#7 SummerStar

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

Yep, lucky I'm not saying anything I care about anyone else hearing... But yes we are aware. Smart phones do it too which most people, even those who are against alexa/Google devices for this reason, have one of.

Though I can't imagine anyone having the job of listening to the recordings of many hundreds of thousands of people 24/7 days...

Edited by SummerStar, 06 February 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#8 Moo-me

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

Yeah we have a joke at home that if we’re going to confess to any crimes to unplug the bloody things first!

#9 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

My phone lives in my bag in my bedroom when I'm at home. So far away from any conversations.
I find it interesting that there's two recent laptops with camera covers/ off switches now built in.
We also didn't buy a tv with Google/Alexia built in. My husband works in IT and he won't have these around the house at all.

#10 SummerStar

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

I'm sure you have plenty of conversations when your phone is around and even have them on the phone.

But again who is it that's listening to our mundane conversations around the clock and why would they pick some random person like me to listen to out of millions? Doesn't bother me.

Edited by SummerStar, 06 February 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#11 #notallcats

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Not Escapin Xmas, on 06 February 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

You do realise that Google records every single thing you or anyone else near the thing says? And then they're using that info for whatever they like? Just checkin...

But it's all anon? It's not like they have a file with my real name on it right?

I don't really care about them using the information, that boat has long sailed.  Reward cards, credit cards, search engines, probably government agencies... they're all doing it.  I don't care as long as my name is not attached.

#12 #notallcats

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

I use it for weather, news, podcast, music, check commute times, recipes, check facts, timer, shopping lists, reminders.... kids like to ask her for jokes, or interesting facts.

You don't have to subscribe to music/podcasts... I just say hey google, play me the latest episode of blah blah podcast, or hey google play me some X band music.

#13 dadwasathome

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

We’ve got a couple of lights we give voice commands to, and one set for on-off times, especially for holidays.

#14 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:11 AM

SummerStar, on 06 February 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Though I can't imagine anyone having the job of listening to the recordings of many hundreds of thousands of people 24/7 days...

https://www.theverge...ordings-vrt-nws

#15 darcswan

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:27 AM

Not Escapin Xmas, on 06 February 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

It is listening all the time, but only starts recording your audio once it hears the wake word. There are fake positives, where the device thinks it hears the wake word and starts recording.

Some of these recordings are definitely reviewed by humans to teach the speech recognition and also make the responses more relevant. I have built bots using google tools and been the one ‘training’ - so I can see transcription, but nothing about who said it.

My observation is that any phone app off the street gets way more info about you. Ie. Your location as you’re on the move. Even down to your battery life and whether you’re currently charging your phone. Android phones don’t even ask you permission, it’s granted by default!

I use my google nest hub all the time - timer, music, broadcast, lists, recipes, temperature/measurement conversion, the morning news, control my lights, weather forecast, lists, check opening hours and any other facts. Like at the dinner table we were wondering when Tupperware came to Australia and Google gave us the answer :)

#16 SummerStar

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:33 AM

PoolsideMasterchef, on 07 February 2020 - 07:11 AM, said:

While I haven't read the article what a boring job!!!! Imagine listening to the mundane lives of millions of people... And for what purpose???

Still don't care though if someone wants to listen to our mundane life as a job go for it. Nothing to hide here and why would they pick me!? Seems incredibly far fetched but I get people being overcautious if that makes them feel better. Though they shouldn't have smart phones either in that case, but they all do..... Mind boggles.

#17 SummerStar

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

darcswan, on 07 February 2020 - 07:27 AM, said:

My observation is that any phone app off the street gets way more info about you. Ie. Your location as you’re on the move. Even down to your battery life and whether you’re currently charging your phone. Android phones don’t even ask you permission, it’s granted by default!

Definitely. But for some people who "wouldn't ever have one in the house" phones are different somehow.... Very contradictory really.

#18 darcswan

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

SummerStar, on 07 February 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

While I haven't read the article what a boring job!!!! Imagine listening to the mundane lives of millions of people... And for what purpose???

Still don't care though if someone wants to listen to our mundane life as a job go for it. Nothing to hide here and why would they pick me!? Seems incredibly far fetched but I get people being overcautious if that makes them feel better. Though they shouldn't have smart phones either in that case, but they all do..... Mind boggles.

Hehe, given I just said I’ve done that job, I’ll try not to take this personally.

The purpose is the train the AI model that turns your mouth sounds into words. Then to match those words to the correct answer.

It’s like teaching a baby new words - they don’t just automatically know.

#19 SummerStar

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:11 AM

Wasn't meant to be personal... But you listened to every recording 24/7 of millions maybe billions of people? Doesn't sound practical is all. But either way anyone with a smart phone will be subject to the same people listening to them regardless if they have a dedicated alexa/Google device. So it's odd the paranoia stops at the devices and doesn't include the phones. Anyway I'm going to start talking about fake crimes and see how long it takes someone to knock on my door. Since I have a dedicated 24/7 listener as has been indicated.

#20 #notallcats

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

The article said about 0.2% of transcripts are sent to humans.  And nothing identifying but there could be something identifying said in the recording.

I think it's good to be aware of these things.  Have all the information and then make your decision.

I must be nosy because I thought it sounded like an interesting job!

#21 SummerStar

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

If it was in a house where there was alot of action and interesting things to listen to. I think majority would be extremely boring and uneventful which I can't imagine would be fun listening.

#22 ainira

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

We use ours for timers,  alarms,  playing music, turning lights off (we lie next to our kids to get them to sleep so this is handy), checking weather, commute times,
and playing relaxation sounds. Google has a list of relaxation and white noise sounds that it will play -- forest sounds are our favorite.

The routines function is also helpful to create abbreviated commands (e.g., "Play name's music").

#23 Bigbaubles

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

We have like three different google things around the house.
My husband (who is in IT) loves them. He's automated some of our lights, pump, timers with it.

My 3 year old also loves asking google to play random songs that don't exist (like hey google, play it's raining cat and crocodiles with hats on...)

We also use it to broadcast to different areas of the house. We have a big house and if I want to call everyone to dinner I broadcast. We mainly use it for music though.

#24 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

View PostSummerStar, on 07 February 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

Seems incredibly far fetched but I get people being overcautious if that makes them feel better. Though they shouldn't have smart phones either in that case, but they all do..... Mind boggles.

People can choose to have whatever they feel comfortable with and get benefit from.

I know a fair bit about IT security as its related to my field of work so I know that Im not being 'overcautious'.

I have a smartphone as it helps me considerably with my daily life and I feel its important for my personal safety. I just keep it locked down as much as I can and Im careful about what info I give away and what apps I install.

On the other hand I don't have any want or need a google nest so I don't have one. I don't see why that's mind boggling. I didn't say don't get one, I actually think they have their uses, for example they can help automate manual tasks for disabled people.

#25 SummerStar

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:44 PM

Yes you're right although smart phones are "listening" just as much but each to their own. Just find it odd that one thing is OK but the other is compromising privacy... Sorry my opinion on that, which hasn't changed, offended you.

Edited by SummerStar, 08 February 2020 - 08:45 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.