James will he be nicknamed Jim?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie83

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

This naming a boy baby (if it’s a boy?) is very, very frustrating.

We both have a “safe” name of James that we’ll go to if nothing else works.

My only reservation is him being nicked named Jim when my husband’s name is Tim. If we enforce James in the early years do you think it’ll be an issue?

#2 little lion

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:09 AM

I think a nickname isn’t necessary with a short name like James. I suppose if you want to try to influence it, go for Jay or Jamie instead?

I don’t know many people named James who are automatically Jim/Jimmy.

#3 Phoebeandme

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:11 AM

James is a fantastic name! I’d probably use it if it wasn’t my brothers name. I think Jim is an uncommon nickname these days and you can easily just stick with James. I’m not a huge fan of Jamie either. Great choice

#4 jesse083

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

We have a James and he is always called James. I had the same worry as you and the only person who calls him Jimbo is my dh. It's rarely said and only. Usually if he's being silly and I'm there too (mostly teasing me lol).

I wouldnt worry about Jim. It's not a nickname little kids thing of when calling their friends either. 'Worst' he gets is jamesy, which I don't mind since he's under 5.

Good luck with naming your DS!

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

I have a nephew James who is James and has never been called Jim, he is 32.
I have a friend called James who is James and never Jim, he is 65.
I have another nephew called James who is Jimmy and has been since birth, he is 30.

I think if the parent calls the child their real name and then the child refers to themselves as that name then it is more likely to stick as they get older.

It's a good name OP.

#6 IamtheMumma

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

I think Jamie would be more common if anything. But most of the Jameses I know are James.

#7 Amica

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:47 AM

My neighbour is James, but he gets Jimbo. Not sure if that is what you'd be chasing.

#8 Meepy

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

James being called Jim is the only reason DS is not called James. Ex said he would call him Jimmy.

#9 Gudrun

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

The nickname Jim used to be default for James then it went completely out of fashion so James was just James. NN Jim is creeping back a bit now but for the most part only if it is specifically chosen by the family or the person bearing the name.

I would say if you want James to be James he will pretty much be James. Most still are.

However if some associate in his orbit chooses to call him Jim that would not surprise me either.  But out of your control.  You'd probably end up not really caring anyway.  If the kid himself wants to be Jim then he will be and you can't argue with that.

I wouldn't worry.

#10 rosie28

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

He’d probably get Jim at some stage, either as a proper nickname or as a joke/in jest. Maybe not until he’s older. If you can’t deal with it I wouldn’t use James, you have no control over it really.

#11 sarahec

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

My 7 yo James always gets called James and sometimes Jamesy by his classmates. Never Jim.

#12 amdirel

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:54 AM

I know a James that is sometimes nicknamed as Jimbo by his parents. Such a ridiculous sounding nickname IMO.

I have a longish name that is commonly shortened, however I (and my parents) have insisted on the full version my whole life, and so that's what I've been called. If someone shortens it, I correct them. Although I often have people be thoughtful and ask first "do you go by *full name* or *shortened version*?".

So personally I don't think it's an issue. Unless of course your child decides he likes being called Jim!

#13 Lifesgood

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

My nephew James is called Jim or Jimmy sometimes. I think it is inevitable that some people will use Jim as a NN at some stage.

#14 No Drama Please

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

I know two, both are super nice guys, one is always known as Jim and one is always known as Jamie. Their preference. I love the name James.

#15 Silverstreak

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

Could be Jim, James, Jaime or Jay. Or something else entirely. James is a nice classic name, I'd go with that and let the nicknames sort themselves out later.

#16 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:16 AM

i know a few James’s - they are just James....it wouldn’t occur to anyone to call them Jim. i also actually know two Jim’s - who are Jim, on  their birthday certificate - not a nickname of James. so i think “Jim” might be becoming a bit like “Jack” not so much the nickname but a name in its own right - so if you are James, not Jim - then James you will remain. you may get Jamie, which i don’t really care for.

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble, 08 February 2020 - 11:16 AM.

#17 rainycat

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

I know 2 kids called James, both known as Jimmy.

#18 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

I know several young James. None are called Jim. The only Jim I know is over 60 (friend of my parents). I think Jim is much less common as a nickname than it used to be.

#19 Bugster

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

My brother is James, only one set of his friends call him Jimmy, this didn’t start till yr11/12.

Our family has never used Jim as a nickname

#20 Ollie83

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, but of a mixed bag. We definitely don’t want to have Jim or Jimmy with his dad being a Tim. I guess if we enforced James while he’s little then he can decide later.

#21 hills mum bec

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

I know quite a few young men & children named James and only one of them gets called Jimmy.  All the rest just get called James.

#22 Apple14

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

I know a few boys named James. None get jimmy. Just James.

#23 Oriental lily

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:07 PM

My grandfather , uncle and BIL , three different generations , all called James all NN JIm .

ultimately I don’t think you can have total control over it . All you need is a influential person in your sons life calling him that and it catches on .

#24 seayork2002

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

I would think more from the older generation maybe but it i don't think parents can control names/nicknames really my son has various that we don't personally use ourselves but as he does not seem bothered we are not

#25 Mumsyto2

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

It will all be out of your control at a certain point. I have one with a name I didn’t like shortened and corrected everyone. That’s great until they are a teen and their friends do it anyway. My child’s friends didn’t do it as they had been corrected when younger but you find your child then branches out and makes friends from different places. Their sports team started with the nickname, then it spreads as others (even old friends) hear it and think well, I’ll call them that as well. Then that’s it for life really.

I do have another one that doesn’t like their name being shortened and corrects anyone who does. Mind you, I don’t use their name, I use a pet name I gave them as a child. They wouldn’t dare correct me but I have heard them correct friends who use it thinking it’s okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.