James will he be nicknamed Jim?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 literally nobody

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

If you want to absolutely guarantee no nicknames id go with something like Adam or Shaun.

Edited by literally nobody, 08 February 2020 - 01:14 PM.

#27 Kreme

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

I have an adult nephew called James and he has never been Jim. Ditto DS’s best friend. We know a couple of Jimmys but they’ve been called that by their parents since birth.

It’s not automatic but once the child is in high school it is out of your control. DS’s friend was in a team with another James and coach just said which one of you is going to be Jim?

#28 Dianalynch

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

I know lots of James’ - they are all called James.

#29 Murderino

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 08 February 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

I think if the parent calls the child their real name and then the child refers to themselves as that name then it is more likely to stick as they get older.

I agree with this. I dated a guy once whose name was Andrew. If anyone shortened his name he’d immediately correct them - my BIL met him and said “Hi Andy” and he just immediately said “it’s Andrew”.

My DS has a name that is commonly shortened (similar to Thomas/Tom, Edward/Ed). We’ve only ever used his proper name (other than the pet name I have for him which is unrelated to his name) and so does he.

We have a James at school and he is always James.

#30 Freddie'sMum

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

First of all OP - James is a great boy's name.

We never got to name a boy but if I was choosing James - then I would always use the name James.  As PPs have stated you can't control what other people call your child - but hopefully he will just correct them if they call him Jim / Jimbo.

#31 onetrick

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

I've not known any young James' with the nickname Jim. I teach and have done so for a few years now and all of the students called James have just been James. Or some other nickname unrelated to their first name (as teenage boys do...).

#32 Flamincrows

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

We have a James, he has previously been called;

jim
jimbob
jamesy
jim bop a loopa
jiminy cricket (he has long body and legs)
JJ

Mainly gets called James though :)

#33 WaitForMe

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

I don't think the nickname is that common these days but you do need to recognise its a possibility.

#34 kerilyntaryn

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

James is a great name and all the younger James I've known are just James

#35 cardamom

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

My 25yo brother is a James, he's never been called Jim or Jimmy. He gets Jamesie from family as an affectionate nickname, but his colleagues/friends/etc. all call him James.

#36 27plus

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

We know a James. He is always James, never a nickname. If you correct people that do nickname they will get the message.

#37 TrixieBelden

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

I have a name that is more commonly shortened.  I use my full name and so does everybody else.

No idea what people are talking about when they say everyone will shorten a name regardless....simply not true.  In 40 years I have not met anyone so terribly rude they will insist on calling me a name I don’t use after they have been told the name I prefer. The majority of people really aren’t dicks.

#38 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

DS has a commonly shortened name. We never shortened it, neither does anyone else. Ditto my sister. It's not inevitable.

#39 wannabe30

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:55 PM

If you use James with family, it’s likely to stick with family.

Kids at school, or friends at work, might eventually call him Jim, but they’re not likely to be hanging out with his dad, so the Jim/Tim thing won’t really be an issue.

I think it’s fairly common for people to have one name with family and a different one with friends. eg I know a Katherine who is Kath at work and Katie to her family.

If he really wants to be James all the time, he can politely correct anyone who calls him Jim/Jimmy.

Edited by wannabe30, 08 February 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#40 Ellie bean

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

You run the risk he might like being called Jim. My mum likes my full name but no one ever calls me by it because I’ve preferred the shortened version myself since I was about 5. You don’t have much control over it as a parent ultimately.

#41 Hands Up

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

I know several children called James. All are referred to as James except one who is sometimes called Jamie. None are called Jim.

#42 Blue Shoe

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

My brother is James and never gets Jim. I occasionally exercise my right as his older sister to affectionately call him Jamesy. He was friends with several other James’ and none of them got Jim - the nicknames were all surname based.

#43 Silverstreak

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 08 February 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

If you want to absolutely guarantee no nicknames id go with something like Adam or Shaun.

I know a Shauno, lol.

#44 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

I know several James' & the only one who was ever called Jim was my uncle, who if alive today would have been 86. He'd been jim since forever.

ETA: both my kids have names which have common nicknames, we never shortened their names & my youngest is very vocal when someone shortens his name - he doesnt like it.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 08 February 2020 - 09:17 PM.

#45 loulou1985

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

My brother James is very very rarely called Jimmy just by his friends and since being older. I've never known him as Jimmy.

#46 got my tinsel on

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

I did meet a 20-something Jim recently, but he was the first 'youngin' I've heard called Jim in, well forever.

The only other 'current' Jim I know would be in his early 50s now.  All the others I've known were in my father's generation and so in the 80-100yo group.

#47 Mrs Claus

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

I know 4 James (60,13,7) and all are shortened to Jim or Jimmy.  Also went to school with one who referred to himself as ‘jimmy long schlong’ but no one else ever called him anything but James.

there’s always the risk it will be changed. I guess it depends on if you could live with it or not

#48 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

My nephew is a James, and I have never once heard it be shortened to Jim or Jimmy or anything else. He is 32 now.

#49 mumbag

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:50 PM

View Postliterally nobody, on 08 February 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

I know an Adam who gets Ads as a nickname :p

Like some PPs, I have a name that is commonly shortened but go by the non-shortened version. I just introduce myself that way. Only one person calls me the short version (an IL, precisely because I said that's not my name) but it just makes them look petty and no-one else follows their lead.

#50 Magnolia2

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:15 AM

I know three Jameses, all adults, that have never been called anything other than James. In fact, their male friends mostly refer to them by that weird “Aussie tradition” of abbreviated surname, like they’re members of the Aussie cricket team or something.

I confess that I call the James in my family “Jimbo” when I am trying to press his buttons and annoy him ;)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.