66 replies to this topic

#51 No Drama Please

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:44 AM

View PostSilverstreak, on 08 February 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

I know a Shauno, lol.
We’ve got a Shawnee!

#52 kimasa

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

I have a a relative James, went to primary school with several kids named James and DD had a James in her class last year.

No Jim's.

#53 CCABW

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

Unlikely but possible.

Does it matter?

#54 hm6

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

His nickname isn’t something you can control except in the early years and within the family unit - in the future once at school/ high school/ uni / work - he may well be nicknamed Jim/jimmy/J/ or a combination of first name /surname. I’d call him what you like - after that it becomes his name and what he is happy to respond to.

#55 Romeo Void

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

I know a James and his nickname is Boof.  You never know what you're going to get LOL.

#56 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

we have a Charlie and were adamant that he would not be a Chuck - mainly because of his surname - Chuck [surname] kind of has a funny association. and i don’t really like “Chuck” as a word but anyway, he’s a Chuck! not sure who first started it - us or a non relative but i don’t know, he does get called Chuck a lot, especially by us! Chuck and Bear.

#57 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:44 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 08 February 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

You run the risk he might like being called Jim. My mum likes my full name but no one ever calls me by it because I’ve preferred the shortened version myself since I was about 5. You don’t have much control over it as a parent ultimately.
I always laugh when people say if you (as in the parents)  always use the long version or a particular nick name it will always be that way what about the person who has the name. My mum used to say to me “if I wanted to call you that I would have just called you that not this” but that’s not the name I want.

#58 8LittleAustralians

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

Some of my children have names that have common nicknames. We just only ever refer to them as their name and if people try an use the nickname, we just continue using their full name and it catches on soon enough. They are in the last few years of high school and we've never had an issue with extended nickname use.

#59 Ferelsmegz

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

My brother is James - hes 40 and has never been called Jim in his life.

Except when I call him Jim Bob HAHHA

#60 Dadto2

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

My cousin is called Christopher by his folks, everyone else calls him Chris (which they hate). I guess it depends on how much it will grate on you having people call him Jim or Jimmy.

#61 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

View PostMumsyto2, on 08 February 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

It will all be out of your control at a certain point.
Agree with this. Once they hit school, make their own friends, they pick their own name, or their friends do it for them.

DH has a name similar to James. About 12 months after we had been dating, MIL asked me why I was calling him Jim as his name was James. I told her the truth - that's what he introduced himself to me as, that's what all his mates called him. She seemed so surprised (and she doesn't like him being called Jim). Yes, by his family (parents, siblings, cousins, etc) he is still called James. But by his mates and contemporaries, he chooses to use Jim. Even professionally he introduces himself as "James, but you can call me Jim".

DD1 has a long first name, which can be shortened to 3 nicknames. She started using one of the nicknames in Year 5, it took DH and I a while to get on board but that's what we call her now as well. (We deliberately picked that name so that she could have the option of names if she wanted to)

ETA: We know 4 James - two are called James, one is called Jim and one is called Jimbo (close friends only). But I don't know any young James/Jims at the moment (aged under 16)

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 12 February 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#62 ~elle~

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

I know two James - they have never been Jim / Jimmy.

#63 KittyTsui

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

Yes. Exhibit A: James Tiberius Kirk, captain of the USS Enterprise.... "just call me Jim!" :)

View PostOllie83, on 08 February 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

This naming a boy baby (if it’s a boy?) is very, very frustrating.

We both have a “safe” name of James that we’ll go to if nothing else works.

My only reservation is him being nicked named Jim when my husband’s name is Tim. If we enforce James in the early years do you think it’ll be an issue?

Edited by KittyTsui, 12 February 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#64 kerilyntaryn

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:46 AM

James is a lovely name,  I'd enforce James.  you would more likely get Jamie then Jim.  The only Jim's I know are over 75

#65 JomoMum

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

We’ve just had a James and Jim has never occurred to us. Until we introduced him to my BIL and he remarked “so when can we start calling him Jimmy?”

My response was “Never. And while you’re at it, DS6yo’s name is ABCDE, not ABC. That’s why he never responds to you”. But BIL is a know it all sleeze bag.

We don’t use nicknames or shortened versions of our boys’ names as we love them just as they are. Most people will follow, and my BIL is the only one who’s ever tried to call our old son by the shortened version of his name. And after 6 years hadn’t realised that our son had no idea who he was talking to.

Some people have asked over the years if he goes by the shortened version, I just smile and say no.

#66 Pal30

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

View PostSilverstreak, on 08 February 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

I know a Shauno, lol.

What about adz lol

#67 Green lady

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

I have a James and we always call him that - there is no Jimmy or Jim. You just enforce it from the start. Everyone calls him James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.