Attending a party when sibling is sick

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MissBehaving

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

DD 5, has had a chesty cough and runny nose all week, no fever at any point. DS 3, has had the same symptoms except worse and since yesterday afternoon he has had a fever and is quiet and obviously feeling unwell.

They have both been invited to a party at an indoor play centre today. DS is too sick to go but what about DD (who is going to be devastated if she can't go)? Should I try and find someone to take her or should I be keeping her away too?

#2 tenar

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

I’d keep her away.  It’s not fair on the other kids.

#3 rosie28

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

I’d keep her at home, no one wants to share a chesty cough and runny nose!

#4 ekbaby

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

If there were 2 parents available, one of us would take DD and the other stay home with DS
If only 1 parent around, I’d skip the party for both
I wouldn’t ask another parent to take DD. It doesn’t sound like she’s contagious or seriously sick (mine can have snotty noses or post viral coughs for weeks) but I wouldn’t put another parent in charge of wiping the snotty nose

#5 mocha444

They’re both sick enough to spread their illness to other kids. As disappointing as it is, please don’t send your DD.

#6 No Drama Please

Indoor play centres are the worst for sick kids!  I know it’s not what she’ll want to hear but definitely don’t send her. Send an apology text and do something extra special at home today instead.

#7 Riotproof

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:38 AM

I would keep them home, sorry.

Tbh, at their ages I might keep them away from a play centre at this stage anyway. They are revolting at the best of times.

Can you make it a yes day to make it up to dd? Yes, we can watch xyz for the miliionth time, yes, you can jump in the puddles, yes, we can have popcorn for. Dinner etc.

#8 Questionable13

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

I agree with the above. While she may be mostly over it, she could also still be contagious. Better to keep her home, as disappointing as it is!

#9 Luci

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Even if the younger child wasn’t sick at all I think your 5 year old sounds too sick to attend.  Coughs can hang around for ages but a chesty cough and runny nose should be kept at home. Sorry OP I know it is awful having to tell your child they can’t go to a party they have been looking toward to.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Nobody goes.

As upset as she'll be the possible roll on affect of her going is just not fair to other children and parents.

#11 Freddie'sMum

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I know it's not fair on your kids OP but I would keep both kids at home.  I would send a text to the host apologizing for not coming, but explaining that both kids are sick.

#12 MissBehaving

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

Thanks everyone, I guess I knew the answer but was just hoping I was wrong for DDs sake.

I buy one big thing and one small for presents, so I have given the kids the small present to try and soften the blow (although DS is feeling too unwell to care really).

#13 ExpatInAsia

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:16 AM

It is disappointing but they should both stay home.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

Indoor play centres are big germ pits anyway, so even if she doesn't make other kids sick, the fact her immune system is fighting off something equals a greater chance of picking up something equally as nasty (or worse).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.