Life admin challenge

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 petal71

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

I don't know if it really fits in here, but couldnt work out where else to put it. [Mods pls move it if it fits better elsewhere]

Anyone want to join me in making a list of boring jobs that they need to do but never quite get round to, and helping each other be motivated to do them?

Doesnt have to be home maintenance. Most of mine aren't really...
  • Order window breaker for car [I realised about a year ago that my car's headrests don't lift out, like they are supposed to, to give you prongs you can break a window with, and I drive most days beside a river. Enough said] <Done today!!
  • Complete tax return
  • Get income protection insurance
  • Put rest of pictures up on walls after moving
  • Organise passport for DS

#2 little lion

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

I too have several items that need hanging!
I have a holiday to postpone (thanks, corona virus...)
I have a filing cabinet that needs sorting out. I’m sure much of it needs shredding or scanning.
I have a butler’s pantry that needs its six monthly thorough clean out.
I have three dentist appointments to make (me and the kids).

#3 petal71

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

Oh no, LL, were you going to visit China? That sucks.

The only trouble with this sort of challenge is that you keep thinking of more things!

Just walked into bedroom and found massive air con packaging box that I used to put bed linen in when we moved. It's the biggest box (thickest cardboard) ever and needs taking to with a box cutter then remnants taking to recycling at tip. Ughhh.

Oh crap, I have the filing cabinet and dentist appts to sort too...

#4 Let-it-go

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

Clean my windows.  It is the one task I have absolutely no ability to make myself do.  They are filthy and make the whole back room look filthy but yet I stare at them everyday.

Clean the car.  My other most hated task.

#5 Missy D

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:54 PM

I didn’t know about the head rests can be used to break a window — thanks OP!

Little Lion - where is your holiday? When were you due to go?

Paperwork
So much secure shredding to do
Filing cabinet
Call hair dresser to book appointment - I wish everything could be booked online
Email - over 4K emails need deleting
Gift shopping
I could go on but it’s getting depressing.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

Clean the blinds in the kitchen & dining.

The damp from  the rain has made the dust very visible.

#7 Meepy

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

Sort out my super.

#8 petal71

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:09 PM

Missy D - yes apparently in less than 6 or something yr old cars. Only mines newer than that and they don't come out! I am paranoid due to drive beside river and having heard about some nasty accidents...

shredding sucks, but at least it can be done in front of TV I suppose.

blinds too. Our old house had venetians and I hated them, kept them shut the whole time to cut down on dusting!

#9 maryanneK

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:44 PM

great, now I'm terrified about driving into a river and not being able to pull the headsets out!

I'll add sorting out my photos and actually completing my kids baby books.

#10 chicken_bits

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:10 PM

View Postpetal71, on 10 February 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

I realised about a year ago that my car's headrests don't lift out, like they are supposed to, to give you prongs you can break a window with,

Where is the mind blown emoji?!?

I had no idea that was why they were pronged! Thankyou!

#11 Manicmum

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

It always annoyed me the headrest prongs were pointy, it’s so dangerous when the kids were pretending to be ants.

My list seems too long, so I’m going to begin with make a list.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

If you are going in the creek and can’t stop it you are best to be winding the window down, not trying to break tough glass when you have no way to get away any sort of force behind it.

While they are designed to break windows, it’s still takes some decent strength to do so.

I need to sort out my dumping ground aka my walk in wardrobe, so it can be used as a wardrobe.

#13 redchick

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:37 AM

- Sort the linen/everything cupboard
- sort out various bank transfers
- make something with random tinned fruit

these are the things that I think are doable (I’m just going to pretend that all those other things I should be doing don’t exist!)

#14 BBC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

Make jelly fruit with your random tinned fruit.
Individual small bowls - clear glass looks nicest, but anything will do.

Put some tinned fruit in the bottom.  Chop it up if it's large.  Make jelly using the juice and any water you need. Add fresh berries or grapes or mango if you like. Pour over some jelly and put in the fridge to set.

Delicious on its own or topped with custard.

#15 petal71

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:24 PM

Manicmum - I didn't quite get the kids pretending to be ants part - then I got it : )

Jolly_F - right yes, well, ideally your electrics still work when submerged in water, or you have the old manual window winders. However, if they don't, due to the water, then the headrests are another option apparently. Also, I'm sure, given the human body can do amazing things in times of acute life-threatening stress, that if you are not badly injured, you will find the strength. You could also no doubt find a few other things to break the glass with in the average car.

If I didn't drive 30 km to work down a fast road right beside a river (no barrier between road and river), I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. But seeing as I do, I wanted the peace of mind.

Anyway, back to the life admin...
I am determined to spend 30 mins on my tax return tonight!

#16 Silverstreak

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

Ooh timely thread.

File away paperwork - done

Submit tax return (DH just has to go through some receipts and put them into Excel)

Clean the shower with Jif. This is DH's job usually, but he is very busy at the moment, so I want to do it on Thursday - done!

DH needs to:

Vacuum the car

Mow the lawn

We both need to tackle:

Steam cleaning the main bedroom carpet, it hasn't been done for a while.

We also inherited some dining chairs that have seats covered with a light coloured fabric. After a couple of years in our house they're now looking grubby, so we should probably steam clean those as well.

Our glass sliding door is covered in fingerprints, better get on to that.

And now that I think about it, our living room walls could do with a good sugar soaping. Stupid bright white walls show up everything. - done

Argh lol.

ETA updates

Edited by Silverstreak, 08 March 2020 - 01:49 PM.

#17 Silverstreak

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Ah yes, the dentist. I've been putting off that appointment!

#18 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:48 PM

View Postpetal71, on 11 February 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Manicmum - I didn't quite get the kids pretending to be ants part - then I got it : )

Jolly_F - right yes, well, ideally your electrics still work when submerged in water, or you have the old manual window winders. However, if they don't, due to the water, then the headrests are another option apparently. Also, I'm sure, given the human body can do amazing things in times of acute life-threatening stress, that if you are not badly injured, you will find the strength. You could also no doubt find a few other things to break the glass with in the average car.

If I didn't drive 30 km to work down a fast road right beside a river (no barrier between road and river), I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. But seeing as I do, I wanted the peace of mind.

Anyway, back to the life admin...
I am determined to spend 30 mins on my tax return tonight!

Gee I wasn’t having a crack at you, so there is no need to be rude.... I was just offering advice based on experience of breaking car windows over the years.

#19 petal71

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

Jolly_F - sorry, I should have explained myself in response to what you wrote without being sarcastic, you're right. I picked up what felt like dismissiveness from your earlier post but I obviously read it wrong. Apologies.

#20 petal71

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

I have always wondered if a steam cleaner is worth having and I would use it. Perhaps if I had one I wouldn't put a sheet over the sofa the whole time to protect it from the dog.

#21 Jingleflea

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

I've never cleaned my carpets, by now they need replacing more than cleaning after 4 cats and a toddler and 20 odd years of wear and tear.

I need to clean the cobwebs that are festooned in the corners of all the rooms.
I only notice them when they get dusty lol.

#22 redchick

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:04 AM

View PostBBC, on 11 February 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

Make jelly fruit with your random tinned fruit.
Individual small bowls - clear glass looks nicest, but anything will do.

Put some tinned fruit in the bottom.  Chop it up if it's large.  Make jelly using the juice and any water you need. Add fresh berries or grapes or mango if you like. Pour over some jelly and put in the fridge to set.

Delicious on its own or topped with custard.

yum! No gelatine so I ended up making muffins. Now I might need to buy some tinned fruit (and then add it to my to do list again :laugh: )

#23 EmmaFY

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:02 AM

Book in for my pap smear. Got my reminder in December... whoops.

Sort through my makeup draw and get rid of anything I no longer use / expired.

Clean my car out properly as it looks like a bomb hit it. Pretty sure there's crumbs in there from 3 months ago plus 151565131 water bottles and toys and probably anything anyone else is missing. #MumLife

Go over our bills and make some calls to get some better deals.

Renew my passport.

Take DS into the bank so he can deposit the coin jars into his savings.

Take DS to buy him some new runners.

Return a dress I bought from Portmans. Didn't try on before purchasing and after doing so realised it just doesn't suit me.

Make the banana bread that I've been meaning to since the bananas started to go spotty. They're now almost black.

Go grocery shopping. Probably buy new bananas. You know, for banana bread... Repeat.

Text my friends and organise a coffee date or something.

Clean outdoor bins. Very important.

#24 Manicmum

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:17 AM

Petal- yes they used to pull them off and put them on their head and pretend to be ants. Their Dad (my es) thought them..

#25 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Clean the air conditioner filters. We've been here 8 years and I haven't done it once. Apparently people do it six monthly.

I had a chimney sweep out last year (first time ever) and he informed me that usually cleans other clients fireplaces and chimneys every 2 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.