When out walking your dog & they have a poo...

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 hibiscus03

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

Do you throw it in a resident’s bin on the street, not on their property? Yay or nay?

#2 KittyTsui

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:36 AM

No, unless I know them and they have said it is OK.

#3 dadwasathome

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:40 AM

View Posthibiscus03, on 11 February 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

Do you throw it in a resident’s bin on the street, not on their property? Yay or nay?

Only if I know the pickup is that day. Otherwise carry to a council bin or home.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

Nope. No one wants a strangers dog poo in their bin.
Especially not if the bin is empty, cause then it gets squashed at the bottom of the bin, oozes out like putty, and makes the bin a poo covered disgusting stinking mess. (Speaking from experience, it was our dogs poo, our bin though)

#5 HolierThanCow

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

Pre pick-up on bin collection day, maybe (although have never actually done it). Post pick-up, i.e. empty bin, no. They'd have dog poo in their bin for a week. I carry it home in the poo bag and put it in my own.

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

My dogs don’t poo out and about, they like their privacy ;)  

But I have used wheelie bins for other rubbish when out.

One thing EB has taught me is people are weirdly protective of their bins!!

Eta and people regularly wash their wheelie bins out. That one blew my mind!!

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 11 February 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#7 spr_maiden

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:50 AM

You carry it home and put it in your own bin.

#8 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

Never - my dog is guaranteed to poo within 30 secs of leaving our house, so I just backtrack and put in on our fence (bins in the backyard) and carry on, sorting out the bag when we get home.

On longer walls where he might have a second go, I've got a bulldog clip thing on the bottom of the handle of my lead, and I'll clip the bag there, waiting for a council bin or until we get home.

#9 Mrs Zee

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:03 AM

Ours is trained to only toilet at home so never had this issue.

I agree with JF that eb and wheelie bins are a recipe for disaster.

We always have room in our bin so it wouldn't phase me in the slightest. If I didn't have a dog I'd possibly feel different.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

I carry it home but only because I am afraid there will be a random EBer watching from their front window.
If it is in a sealed bag I can see nothing wrong with putting it in a bin...any bin.

I could not care who puts their pet poo in our bin if it is still on the nature strip as long as it is bagged.

eta...my dog is nearly 18 years old. She poos only when on walks these days...poor love. I usually have 3 bags full in a pretty short walk.

Edited by Soontobegran, 11 February 2020 - 08:17 AM.

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

View Posthibiscus03, on 11 February 2020 - 07:35 AM, said:

Generally speaking, no. I *might* do it if  (i) I knew the neighbours and they were okay with that AND (ii) if neighbour's bin is out on the footpath AND (iii) said bin was still full (ie. still awaiting council attention)

I will happily throw dog poo in a council/public bin.

But no, I do not generally throw dog poo in other people's bins.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

Out on the curb, yep i've done it. People are so weird about their bins. If it is bagged up correctly and the bins are already out for collection, what's the issue? No worse than bags of sh*tty nappies that fill a lot of the bins.

I have no problem with people putting things in mine either. But I think I am in EB minority here on this one.

#13 Ozquoll

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

Gee, I wish you lot walked your dogs near my place! I live in a small block of units - pretty much every other house on the street is a mansion, has big fences, etc. Our place doesn't have gates, and our wheelie bins are stored in the side garden, not too far from the footpath. There is ALWAYS dog poo in our bins 😡.

On the one hand, I'm glad (most) people are picking up their dog's poo...OTOH, since I compost all my food scraps and don't put anything smelly in my bin, it kind of p*sses me off to open the lid and be met with a cloud of stench every time 🤔

#14 kitkatswing

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:23 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 11 February 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

Out on the curb, yep i've done it. People are so weird about their bins. If it is bagged up correctly and the bins are already out for collection, what's the issue? No worse than bags of sh*tty nappies that fill a lot of the bins.

I have no problem with people putting things in mine either. But I think I am in EB minority here on this one.

Ill join you on that minority.

I bag it up and put it in a bin if its on the curb, or a council bin.. Or if neither are around I carry it home...

#15 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

I prefer to use a council bin, but on collection day, before collection, then sometimes I’ll put it in someone’s bin. I usually wait till I get to someone’s house that I know has a dog though.

#16 annodam

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

View Postkitkatswing, on 11 February 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

Ill join you on that minority.

I bag it up and put it in a bin if its on the curb, or a council bin.. Or if neither are around I carry it home...

This is what I do as well.

And I am one of those that washes bins with a squirt of detergent & a hose, only takes 5mins...

#17 Questionable13

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 11 February 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

Nope, we are the same! We use nappy bags to pick up the poo so it's all sealed anyway. If there are no bins around, then we dispose of it at home.

#18 #notallcats

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

So are people saying if it's sealed in a bag, it won't smell?  Because that's not my experience with cat poo.

ETA Maybe I'm not sealing it properly?

Edited by #notallcats, 11 February 2020 - 09:43 AM.

#19 Rummonkey

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

If it’s rubbish day I’ll use a bin on the side of the road. Our bins get collected by 7am so the poo (wrapped up in a bag) won’t be sitting in a bin for very long.

Or I’ll find a public bin/carry it home. Wouldn’t put it into an empty bin though.

#20 JomoMum

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

Our local community FB group names and shames people who do this .. big no no here lol!

ETA our community also have a huge number of security cameras on their houses so we can’t walk anywhere without fear of being watched and recorded... in case we wanted to do a sneaky bin drop.

Edited by JomoMum, 11 February 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#21 HolierThanCow

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Even in a sealed poo bag, dog poo smells. Especially in summer, after a week in a sweaty bin.

It isn't one of the great crimes against humanity, but it seems a bit rude to chuck something smelly in someone else's bin when you must be reasonably close to home (i.e. walking distance, obviously, if you're out with your dog!)

Oh, and I am not unusually precious about my bins, as in don't care if people put stuff in them before collection after they're out on the curb... and have never washed one in my life.

I wouldn't rush out of my house to accost someone if I saw them putting a dog poo bag in my empty, curb-side bin or erect a security camera (bin cam?), but I'd rather they didn't do it.

#22 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

If the bin is on the curb I throw the bag in.

#23 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

View Post#notallcats, on 11 February 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

So are people saying if it's sealed in a bag, it won't smell?  Because that's not my experience with cat poo.

ETA Maybe I'm not sealing it properly?

exactly, it still stinks, even double bagged, and when squished at the bottom of a wheelie bin the bag can burst open.  Its just not somethnig you should put in a random bin.

And if its not a problem to put in someone elses bin, then its obviously not a problem to take it home.  Just pop it in your pocket and bin it when you get home if its so well sealed.

#24 spr_maiden

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

I'm not precious about my bin. If I wanted to deal with dog sh*t,  I'd get a dog.
I'd rather it put in the bin on the curb, then the actions of the old neighbourhood dog walkers who just let their dogs poo on our front grass.

I guess I feel it is an owner's
responsibility to tidy up your animal's waste and ensuring that your animal's waste is only your problem.
If you can do that,  without my bin smelling like poo, fine.  But,  the reality is, if it bursts in the bin , you're not going to be cleaning it. I am.

#25 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 11 February 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Just pop it in your pocket and bin it when you get home if its so well sealed.

Hahaha! No thanks to the pocket bit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.