What's it like to be a conveyancer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 4lilchicks

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

I'm staring to think about what Id like to do when the kids are all at school. Could anyone please give me some feedback on what it's like to be a conveyancer (both within a firm and working on your own with your own business). I'd love to hear the good and the bad. In my mind I thought that once qualified I could start my own business and to a certain degree have flexible working hours. What would a typical day look like?

#2 Lady Gray

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

I did conveyancing as a paralegal and it was very busy.  This was ten years ago and before the pexa system.  

I think there probably isn’t much money to be made in each transaction but probably the majority of transactions are very straight forward and require very little actual legal work.

I’ve often wondered the same thing so am interested to know the answer.

I do wonder how difficult it would be to get clients especially as your unlikely to have repeat clients that buy  or sell a property frequently.

#3 AllyK81

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

I am a lawyer and we have a property team in our firm. Conveyancing isn't very flexible. When it is close to settlement and things to iron out they must be done immediately. This can be any time of the day (or night!).

If you are within a team it would be fine provided you can work together on matters but doing it independently whilst needing flexibility might be hard.

Settlements aren't flexible!

#4 kitkatswing

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

I was a settlements clerk at one of my first jobs...

I quit due to stress.. I would never do it again!

#5 Grrrumbles

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

As a client (I have DIY and used a firm at various stages as I have a law degree but no time now) I would be expecting to be able to contact my conveyancer when ever I needed to on a weekday.

So it depends what type of flexibility you are looking for. Most clients would expect return phone calls or emails fairly promptly and some find meetings during the day hard so they might expect to be able to meet early evening if they use a small business. Mortgage brokers for example use flexibility as  their selling point.

I would imagine the work would be quite seasonal too depending on location as there are distinct quiet and busy periods in my area. School holidays off during Spring would be impossible but a Christmas/New Year closedown would be fine unless you are in a beach area.

There would be a significant marketing/networking component to get yourself established unless you are already well known in the area.

#6 SallyJay

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

I've done it years ago as pp said before the current system and it can be very stressful, high workload for not a lot of $ as people will google "cheapest conveyancer Sydney" and go for whomever offers a flat rate of $999 or whatever. I would consider something else OP. Can you outline what your dream role would look like so we can help? I love brainstorming .

#7 TinyGiraffe

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:57 PM

I did this nearly 10 years ago and found it was poorly paid and very stressful. You predominately are dealing with the public that for them is something that is a huge financially stressful transaction that they will do once or twice in their life and timing for moving, risk of penalties etc all ride on you keeping things on track. I did it for ~5 years and then changed industry.

#8 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

Ditto to others. I did conveyancing as a paralegal 15 years ago. Inflexible (clients are often very stressed and you need to reassure and support them). Pay is low average and if you are on your own you would need expensive indemnity insurance, trust accounts, expensive software and somewhere to keep documents secure. You would also need to be able to seek advice and support from a lawyer for complex conveyancing matters.

That said, I enjoyed it. I liked the procedure of it all and the need to continually problem solve. I liked that I was part of a positive end result (mostly). You are also dealing with a LOT of people so it is for networking.

I wouldnt know anyone who would recommend striking out on your own. There is a reason you dont see conveyancing sole practitioners much.

#9 GlitterRiver

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

I am a conveyancer for a law firm.  Underpaid, high stress and buyers/sellers can be unrealistic in their expectation of what a conveyancer does (ie buyers who think we can give advice on pest and building reports, ummmm no that's why you pay a pest and building inspector).

#10 4lilchicks

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

Thanks so much everyone, I think I will cross this one off the list. Im really looking for something that I can do almost any time of the day (including during the night if needed) around my 5 kids. I have no one I can call to help if the kids need me and its pretty much at least once a week I get a call from one of the schools to pick up a sick or injured kid. I'm dreading going back to work because Im sure I would be sacked having to leave that often.

#11 Agnetha

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

Medical and audio transcription might suit your work needs and flexibility. Work from home , accept jobs when you can do them. They have deadlines but you can manage your workload.

#12 timtam92

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

What about bookkeeping? I’m an accountant but after baby i did bookkeeping and then gradually moved back to accounting.

#13 SallyJay

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:01 AM

Travel agents often work remotely these days. That might suit?

#14 4lilchicks

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, they are great. I'm still a fast typist so that is definitely an option. I also used to do payroll etc so that is something I could do a course to brush up on my skills.

#15 Freddie'sMum

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

I personally wouldn't go into conveyancing.  I have done a limited amount of it - in my previous life as a legal secretary.

I agree with the PP who mentioned "cheapest conveyancing in X location" so Mr and Mrs Jones who are purchasing a $3 million plus property, will put that search into Google and then when the quote for all the conveyancing comes back at over $1000 will phone you up and try and beat the price down even more.  

I found it particularly stressful - esp when settlements didn't go according to plan - and I wouldn't do it again.

Payroll or accounting would (hopefully) be a better option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.