Fancy juicers

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 *Marty*

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:04 AM

are they worth it?  The are very $$$.  If you have one can you tell me about it?  Will use it for citrus ( we have orange trees although not bearing fruit yet, We also have a veg patch so thinking of using it for surplus plus planting veg specifically for juicing.

#2 SummerStar

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:13 AM

Interested in this as well. I want one I can throw the orang in without peeling it and it makes juice... Yet to find one every one I have looked into, including expensive ones, require me to peel everything and then pull it apart into 20 pieces to clean... I don't have time for fiddly.

#3 Moo-me

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:01 AM

In my experience you’ll use it a lot for a month, then get sick of cleaning it everytime, retire it to the cupboard and never use it again 😜

Edited by Moo-me, 14 February 2020 - 08:02 AM.

#4 Dadto2

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:13 AM

View PostMoo-me, on 14 February 2020 - 08:01 AM, said:

In my experience you’ll use it a lot for a month, then get sick of cleaning it everytime, retire it to the cupboard and never use it again

I had one, loved it, but it was a complete PITA to clean.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:23 AM

This is what I fear, all I've had and looked at so far have been such a pain to clean.... I love fresh juice but I think I'll pay the extra for a shop to do it and deal with the peeling and cleaning.

#6 amdirel

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

I have one. I don't use it much though, because yes, they are a pain to clean, and you can't put it in the dishwasher. Also, it is really only good IMO when you have that surplus of fruit, or fruit that's a bit old to eat; you need a lot if fruit for juice, so buying it at normal price at the shops makes for one expensive juice!

Oh and yes putting citrus in it is a pain, because you have to peel it first.

Edited by amdirel, 14 February 2020 - 08:30 AM.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

I had a cold press one. It was fantastic and made the best juice. But it was horrible to clean and yes after a couple of months I got sick of cleaning teeny celery bits out of everything.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

A bit of a side issue and it could just be me thinking it but when I have fruit juice made with fruit with the skin on there is a weird bitter after taste that I don't like. So for me personally I would peel the fruit myself first regardless of the machine

#9 SummerStar

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:48 AM

Well I thought by now there might be a juicer by now that was able to either peel it or filter it out in there... My ideal machine might be too futuristic, doesn't seem like they've changed much since I had one 15 years ago... Still alot of work and cleaning.

Edited by SummerStar, 14 February 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#10 Inkogneatoh

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:45 PM

We ended up with one years ago. Like others, it wasn't used much as it was a pain to pull apart and clean. I also wasn't a massive fan of the juice, as there seemed to be a frothy sort of film on it. In fact, if it wasn't thrown out in the last move, it's in the box of things to sell at the garage sale we're planning.

#11 *Marty*

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input.  I dont want to believe you all, but I know that its a concern.  Not worried about the cost of fruit and veg - we have an extensive orchard and veg patch - one of the reasons I want a juicer is to use it all!

If you have one, what do you have (I have been looking mostly at Breville).  Can you tell me about the features and what you do and dont like (other than cleaning it!!!!)

#12 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

Get a cold press one.

I had a Breville centrifuge one. I think its the older version of the current Fountain Plus. It did ok but there's a lot of wastage.

I ended up with an Optimum cold press and it was superior in every way except cleaning. That still sucked.

#13 *Marty*

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 14 February 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

I ended up with an Optimum cold press and it was superior in every way except cleaning. That still sucked.

The 600 or 3000?

#14 SummerStar

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:20 PM

Having a look around after this thread inspiring me, the Optimum H3000 looks pretty good. Gets great reviews and alot say easy to clean... It certainly looks easy... Expensive though.

#15 IamtheMumma

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

I think it was the 600. The one I had is slightly different than the current one. I'm pretty sure the mouth was different.

The 3000 is on special at the moment. You'd need a bit of bench space.

#16 Riotproof

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

People use the pulp to flavour crackers and bread.

But tbh, I think you’re missing so much fibre from the veggies, it’s not worth the effort.

#17 *Marty*

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

just purchased the optimum 600 online for $290. Thanks for the advice :)

#18 can'tstayaway

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

I know you’ve already bought one but I thought I’d add this for anyone else who is thinking about it.

I’ve used the Breville centrifuge ones in the past and they were fine. The internals were fiddly to clean but it wasn’t a big deal.

I then bought an Oscar and we used it regularly for years. We lost it during a house move and I replaced it with a Hurom. Both do cold press juices which are supposedly healthier. They tasted better then the centrifuge type juicers and the juice didn’t separate. It was also ‘thicker’ because more fibre was retained which I figured, if the kids were going to have juice, they may as well have better juice.

The easiest to clean was the Oscar. The Hurom would be next. It comes with a special brush and if you clean it immediately, it’s ok. If you allow it it dry, it’s a PITA.

I would add the pulp to the compost which was good to dry it out/add bulk. The bits I would rinse in a small bucket in the kitchen and use that to water my pot plants so the fibrous bits wouldn’t clog up the pipes.

The only non peeling orange juicer I’ve seen are commercial ones that can do hundreds of oranges per hour. At home (we used to have mature citrus trees too), I found a juicer like this Breville was the easiest. You just cut it in half, press and juice. I actually won mine in a raffle and was surprised how useful it was. And minimal parts to clean.

As for regular juicing, I would cut up a big Tupperware container of fruit every few days and leave it in the fridge. Then when we wanted juice, it would be ready in a jiffy. The bits got dumped in the bucket so no dried on bits to scrub and I’d wash it after the morning rush was done. I found prepping the fruit to be the most tedious part of fresh juice.

#19 *Marty*

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Cantstayaway, thanks for that - I REALLY like the bucket idea and also having fruit/veg at the ready.  I think it would be much more managable for me in the morning to dump the components in a container or bucket and deal with it after work...  The kids can make smoothies in the one I got which would be good. I saw the citrus breville juicer the other day at one of the stores and I though it was really pretty!  I was either going to go for a citrus juicer or all in....  Have just spent the day in the veg garden, working on my juicing crop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.