Double pram?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbaubles

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

Wondering if people with two kids under 18/19 months found they needed to use a double pram or not?

Also any recommendations if you did!

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:12 PM

Definitely, it was a life saver. Made shopping so much easier. I would just strap them in and not worry about having to chase toddlers through shops or in car parks. That pram gave me a bit of freedom and kept me sane.
I had a Valco snap duo.

#3 Hands Up

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

Yep. Mine are 14 months apart and the double pram was a big part of our lives :-) we had a mountain buggy. We only needed it for a year but it was a godsend. We bought second hand and sold it for more than we bought it for:-)

#4 bearosauraus

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

Yes. All the time. I had 2 actually (although am a self confessed pram addict). Mine are 17 months apart and could not have been without a double!

#5 bearosauraus

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

Sorry,to add recommendations. I had a mountain buggy for home (walked daily, plus also walking distance to  playground) then had a baby jogger city select for in the car- could be used as double or single depending on who was with me,  but I also often used it as a single with baby in ergo.

#6 Mooples

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

My first was 2y3m when #2 came along and I wouldn’t have survived without my double pram. He was and still is lazy so happily jumped in for a ride. He’s 4 now and still occasionally uses the second seat but if not always uses the skateboard. I have a bugaboo donkey which has the benefit of being a single or double. I needed to get out and about, I’m not a stay at home person so I used it daily for about a year.

#7 Christmas tree

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Yes. Best investment I made. We went all out and bought the baby jogger. I loved it. To be honest it it wide so when a young baby I used a carrier, but def worthwhile. Te would both sleep in it. I bought it in on sale and sold it 4 years later for only $300 less than we paid.

#8 Bigbaubles

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Thanks guys.

I have an older pram that I could get an attachment to fit two seats (up & down) but not for the newborn bassinet (which I already have), so i'm really torn as to whether to buy another pram or not.
Or I think I could buy a capsule and have the adaptor for that, but I also don't want to have a capsule!

I really don't want to, but I'm thinking that I will need one... grr.

#9 EmmDasher

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

Yep definitely - Baby Jogger City Mini GT purchased second hand. I never used capsules or bassinets so that was not a consideration for us.

#10 Bebecita

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Could you manage with pram + carrier for the baby, until baby is old enough to put in one of the seats?   I found for those first few weeks I wasn't all the physically up to getting out and about with two kids after recently having given birth.   The window betweenfeeling up to getting out and baby being able to go in one of the seats is quite short

#11 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:20 PM

Get a side by side, and keep your up-down one for when the baby is a bit older?
I preferred side by side. I found the front-back prams, like the strider and city select, were heavier to lift and harder to manoeuvre, and the kids weren’t happy to sit at the back because they couldn’t see stuff.
My valco snap duo had lay-flat seats for a new born, and the foot rest went right up, converting it basically to a bassinet without any other attachments.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

Absolutely would never have coped without a double pram and stroller.
It would not have been safe for my older child to not be restrained in a pram.
I could never do a carrier, it hurt my back too much.
If I had a triplet pram I would have used that too as I had 1 who was 2.5yrs  then 1 year and a baby so she really also needed to be sitting in a stroller.
It was good when my DH was out with us as he took a stroller separately.

#13 Questionable13

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

Yep even with a 2.5 yr age gap, the double has been fantastic at times!
We ended up getting a second hand mountain buggy duet, which is heavy for short trips up town (just use a carrier/single pram) but for big walks/day long outings it has been great.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

I had an almost 2 year age gap & needed a double for a short space of time. My second was a big baby who ended up too heavy to front carry in my ergo for any extended timeframe but he was way too young to go on my back (he was cracking the 90th percentile in weight & 85th for height).

I bought it secondhand & then sold it 12 months later for a similar price. If your pram already converts to a double, you should be fine to use a carrier for those first few months until your baby is old enough for the seat.

#15 Beanette

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:10 PM

View PostMooples, on 16 February 2020 - 04:35 PM, said:

My first was 2y3m when #2 came along and I wouldn’t have survived without my double pram. He was and still is lazy so happily jumped in for a ride. He’s 4 now and still occasionally uses the second seat but if not always uses the skateboard. I have a bugaboo donkey which has the benefit of being a single or double. I needed to get out and about, I’m not a stay at home person so I used it daily for about a year.

This sounds exactly like me! My DS was 2y1m when my DD was born and the Donkey has been invaluable to me. Having somewhere to strap them both in is so handy when the toddler is throwing a tantrum.

#16 TinyGiraffe

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

View PostBeanette, on 16 February 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

This sounds exactly like me! My DS was 2y1m when my DD was born and the Donkey has been invaluable to me. Having somewhere to strap them both in is so handy when the toddler is throwing a tantrum.

Not the OP but you have both convinced me this is what I will need to do as facing similar dates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.