Do you have to clock on at work? If so, how?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 anon1071

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

My workplace is thinking of introducing a fingerprint system to use when we start and finish work.
There will only be a couple of minutes leeway and if any more we get docked our pay.
So this means that we will probably not be able to ever leave 10 mins early every now and then to get to an appointment or collect a child which pretty much everyone does. I’m wondering if this is another way to micromanage our workforce?
What are people’s opinions on this. I work in healthcare.

Edited by anon1071, 16 February 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#2 afterlaughter

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

I would expect to paid for every extra minute worked if they are docking pay for leaving early. They cannot have it both ways IMO.

#3 José

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

My DH clocks on and off with fingerprint.
He is on $$ per hour.

#4 Bearynice

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:16 PM

I think that would be pretty standard if you work in a large workplace.
There is usually a window of time to clock in and clock out.

#5 kimasa

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

Fingerprint.

If we need to leave early or stay late or whatever we note it in the log kept next to the machine and our time in lieu balances are adjusted accordingly.

#6 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

Not for a very long time. Most of my jobs had set hours and just had to sign a pay book each day.

I am guessing they are getting sick of people taking liberties and heading off early.

If I needed to leave early I would start early and reflect that in my wage book. I know many that don't though, so end up doing less hours than paid for.

I am self employed now and don't have set hours. :p

#7 amdirel

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

Yes we have that OP, a hand scanner. I think there's about 10 minutes leeway of lateness before we get docked. Most irritating thing is if we forget to scan in or out, we don't get paid for that day. Then after we get our pay and figure it out, we have to fill out a form to then get it paid the following fortnight.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

yup, clock on and off until you get to a certain heirarchical level.  Now I am "senior" I just have to clock on, not off.  We are salary workers too.

If you leave early for any reason, the keeper of the keys, the Kronos admin lady can adjust it.  Its not a problem if you have worked extra hours during the week, they just like it to balance on pay day.  Our pay doesnt get docked for short hours usually.  But if your consistently short on time you get a talking to, maybe a warning, depending how bad it is.

We used to have swipe cards, now we have a fingerprint scanner.

Personally I like the system, because it keeps everyone honest, there are no slackers.  And it works both ways too, everyone leaves on time, rarely do we do lots of overtime. But it does mean there is limited flexibility, and you have to ask to leave early.  They recently relaxed the rules for some office staff too, so they dont have to clock off anymore at a lower level than before.  But Id say 75% of the workforce still clocks on and off.

#9 Mrs Claus

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

In my old job we all had a code and you clocked in and out with that.

my current job is old school type card in machine and clock out/in for breaks as people were taking longer then allowed paid breaks

edit to add- we get paid pretty much to the minute. If we start early we get paid for it- leave early pay is docked. Why would you expect to be paid for the 10 mins you don’t work?

DDs work they clock on/off via a phone app so much more trust involved there

Edited by Mrs Claus, 16 February 2020 - 05:59 PM.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

I haven’t had to for years, but it involved a lot of checking. I think we got an exception report for everyone whose times didn’t match the roster and each one had to be checked and approved or adjusted, e.g. if someone clocked on, but not off, or didn’t seem to have taken a lunch break.

#11 Dianalynch

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:59 PM

I did when I was at uni and worked on a checkout, for salaried employees it wouldn’t work, unless all of a sudden they desire to pay overtime? I’d be very wary, I agree it’s a way to micro manage. It may well backfire when people start working just their hours, no more.

#12 FeralZombieMum

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

We sign a book for in & out, and if we leave the site for an appointment or lunch - this is for emergency management so they know where we all are.

Clocking on and off wouldn't catch those that spend the first 30+ minutes of work time each day, chatting about personal stuff whilst doing no work. Also wouldn't catch the same people who have a much longer lunch break and spend a lot of their day on their phone.

#13 Mumma bug

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

Not since I worked in state government in 2004!

#14 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

We used to have fingerprint sign in and out before the company was transferred to a new company at the beginning of the year.

We were paid on a salary, so any extra time was not acknowledged and paid, we had to take TIL from our non contact time (which we rarely did as that just meant falling behind, I took ridiculous amounts of work home at times as it was).

My rostered hours were incorrectly entered into the system anyway despite numerous attempts to rectify it. They weren't particularly concerned, so long as we met our weekly / fortnightly hours it didn't matter so much as to how we structured them exactly. (non contact time, obviously we had to be there during contact time hours).

It was more a record of exactly when we were on site and to ensure we met our rostered amount of hours all up, rather than penalise / reward starts and finishes that weren't 'to the minute' exact.

#15 Tokra

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

There is new legislation coming in relation to timekeeping for employees who have annualised salaries.

#16 #YKG

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

Last time I clocked on or off I worked at coles.

Now I just gotta make sure I’m at work on time and leave on time. If I need to leave early I have to make up the time.

#17 Greatmum

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

We had finger print and it didn’t work half the time but u could use by PIN number too. And people would forget a lot of time to say clocked in but didn’t clock out but then when they tried to clock on again they were still clocked in. Lol.

#18 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

View PostTokra, on 16 February 2020 - 06:22 PM, said:

There is new legislation coming in relation to timekeeping for employees who have annualised salaries.

That’s what I am thinking it’s about too.

There are some very unhappy companies out there as they will no longer be able to expect excessive amounts of overtime for employees on salary.

#19 ytt

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

I wish.... would stop the boss and office staff going on a holiday and signing in and out for the week.. A day here and there I wouldn't really care but this staff member went on a plane holiday for a week, as well as her husband who works at the same place (I loosley say works!) and signed in and out that they had been at work the whole week.

I took 1 hour and 15 minutes to pick up DD and my pay got docked even though I am early every day and worked most my breaks.

This year I still get in early but walk out as soon as the bell goes and don't give a flying you know what about work. I go, do my best, support who I need and don't get involved in illegal stuff and politics. I've changed my whole attitude and I am liking work again and not taking things personally.

#20 anon1071

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

Working as a nurse we are on an hourly rate plus penalties.
It’s not like we’re a profession that is known for slacking off and not working hard.

#21 Fossy

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

Yes we have to log into a data terminal. If we are even 1 second  late to log in or log off 1 second early we get a please explain from management.

#22 SummerStar

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

I don't have to clock on now my current workplace is behind flexible with appointments, kids etc but previously I worked for a big healthcare company and we had to clock on by just logging into out computers using our log in. They ran the report each week to ensure we did the hours to the minute or more, but never less.
If we were late by 5 mins we had to stay back and log off 5 mins late or else it was rounded up to the next 15 mins. So we'd lose 15 mins pay for 5 mins late and half hour pay for 16 mins late and so on...
I disliked the system alot. And they have an extremely high turnover because of how they treat staff... Glad I'm out of there.

#23 Silverstreak

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

We have a computer program where we click on when we start and finish. No fingerprints here.

#24 jayskette

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:08 PM

if your work is time or shift dependent eg retail, hospo, factory, hospital nursing etc then you really need to work at the set times, so the fingerprint system shouldn't be unusual

#25 Anonforthistime

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

I’ve worked in healthcare a longtime and have used Kronos time clock for years.
I’m surprised you don’t use it already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.