Jump to content

Why news shows promoting fluff?


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 #YKG

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

Why oh why do news shows/channels whatever insist on telling us how to spend $x for a full week of meals, you get sucked in and it’s some random YouTuber that have paid them money to feature them shopping for meals that offer very little actual nutritional value?

Don’t get me wrong I love rice and pasta, but spag bol that is literally pasta, meat and sauce from a jar, where is the vegetables? Am I alone in adding vegetables to these jar sauce things? She also made a chicken “stir fry” that was literally chicken, rice and red capsicum. The only vegetable.
Even breakfast was purely oats and frozen berries.

Come on can we not go “this shopping trip is not great instead of buying $7 oats, could’ve bought the $2 bag and bought some vegetables” how about instead of paying $4 for pasta get the $1 stuff. You’d be able to get a bag of frozen mixed vegetables if you can’t afford fresh. It’s better than eating purely carbs and protein.

Am I alone in the “wtf” I like meal prep, but even I can do better than that for $70 for a week and it’ll have significantly more nutritional value.

#2 kimasa

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

Because current affairs shows aren't the news. They just pretend to be.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

But I don't take these as actual fully researched in-depth news stories, i watch/read them with an open mind

#4 #YKG

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

View Postkimasa, on 18 February 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

Because current affairs shows aren't the news. They just pretend to be.

It was channel 7 news tonight, wasn’t Current affairs show.

#5 purpleblaze

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

You already mentioned why:

"it’s some random YouTuber that have paid them money to feature them shopping for meals"

The news is a business not a community service.  The lowering of standards is infinite...

#6 kimasa

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

View Post#YKG, on 18 February 2020 - 08:25 PM, said:



It was channel 7 news tonight, wasn’t Current affairs show.

7 news absorbed TT, hence the hour-long format when it used to be the 2 shows back to back for half an hour each.

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

Because the commercial TV news is crap ?

#8 Sancti-claws

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

Dumb em down...

#9 Lifesgood

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:56 PM

If you want news watch the ABC.

#10 JustCurious100

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:59 AM

A certain morning show had in their news some guy resuscitating a gecko that fell in his beer. Right after announcing the passing of a famous cooks daughter, oh and here's a gecko getting cpr! They legit showed him blowing into the gecko's mouth.

I thought to myself, when that show seriously couldn't get any worse... it did.

#11 Sancti-claws

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:01 AM

I will expand on my answer, having read the story now on my highbrow online news option (ahem)

The amount of things she used "already in her pantry" to make her meals for less than $70 per week (including the lone capsicum, soy milk and possibly the onion - it wasn't mentioned) and the $7.80 she spent on her pasta - I am old school, $6 of that $7.80 would definitely have been needed for something providing vitamins!

I often, when seeing such options as she presented, wonder how the old bowel motions are going...

#12 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

The online article about that story came up on my Facebook feed. I actually skimmed it because I was a bit jaw dropped that $70 for one person for a week was considered a tight budget -- I could eat pretty well for that (acknowledging that I do have a range of pantry staples such as oil, seasonings etc -- I'm not starting from scratch -- and I have a good fridge/freezer and storage options). Not prawns and fillet steak, but certainly a reasonably varied and nutritious diet. And I wouldn't be paying $3.80 for a single red capsicum either...

And you know the great EB mantra of "never read the comments"? I did, and they were pure gold ::D:

#13 Flamincrows

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:20 AM

Do you live in Queensland? The news on all the channels up here all do this, it's like they give them the hour time slot, but there isn't enough news to fill that slot. I no longer watch any of them. Prefer ABC news now!

#14 Riotproof

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:31 AM

View PostSancti-claws, on 19 February 2020 - 05:01 AM, said:

I will expand on my answer, having read the story now on my highbrow online news option (ahem)

The amount of things she used "already in her pantry" to make her meals for less than $70 per week (including the lone capsicum, soy milk and possibly the onion - it wasn't mentioned) and the $7.80 she spent on her pasta - I am old school, $6 of that $7.80 would definitely have been needed for something providing vitamins!

I often, when seeing such options as she presented, wonder how the old bowel motions are going...

oh I love those kind of things. Always makes me laugh so much.

I feel like I should do my own ready steady cook at home and try not to buy anything for a week. Though fruit would probably get me, they just eat so much fruit.
I do keep a very full pantry though.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

Thank you for posting though. Enjoyable video.

#16 TrixieBelden

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

I hate those sort of stories.  They’re always nonsense and just encourage a truly nasty attitude towards people with very limited resources.  People watch them and think ‘I could live on that’ (entirely hypothetically.....they’re not living on it week in week out) or think back to that time they totally had to live on a budget for like a whole year...at uni....twenty years ago....and then feel free to judge away.

It’s obviously never truly intended to be helpful. Just leads to more dismissive, cruel behaviour towards people on the margins.

#17 Paddlepop

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:10 PM

View PostSugarplum Poobah, on 19 February 2020 - 08:12 AM, said:

The online article about that story came up on my Facebook feed. I actually skimmed it because I was a bit jaw dropped that $70 for one person for a week was considered a tight budget -- I could eat pretty well for that (acknowledging that I do have a range of pantry staples such as oil, seasonings etc -- I'm not starting from scratch -- and I have a good fridge/freezer and storage options). Not prawns and fillet steak, but certainly a reasonably varied and nutritious diet. And I wouldn't be paying $3.80 for a single red capsicum either...

And you know the great EB mantra of "never read the comments"? I did, and they were pure gold :Posted Image:

Link please?

#18 IamOzgirl

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:31 PM

View Post#YKG, on 18 February 2020 - 08:25 PM, said:



It was channel 7 news tonight, wasn’t Current affairs show.

Because other shows are smashing them in the ratings they need to mix it up and give people what they think they want!

#19 kimasa

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 19 February 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:



oh I love those kind of things. Always makes me laugh so much.

I feel like I should do my own ready steady cook at home and try not to buy anything for a week. Though fruit would probably get me, they just eat so much fruit.
I do keep a very full pantry though.

I did this when we moved house so I was moving with as little food as possible.

It got a bit interesting on the night before moving day.

#20 kimasa

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

Meanwhile, they should bring that show back. That was a good show.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:56 PM

View Postkimasa, on 19 February 2020 - 12:47 PM, said:

Meanwhile, they should bring that show back. That was a good show.

our one was terrible. The uk one was really good though. I learned a lot about cooking from that show.

#22 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 19 February 2020 - 12:10 PM, said:



Link please?

It was a 7 News Australia item I think -- I suspect it came up via Facebook algorithms as I sure as hell don't follow them. Sorry, couldn't see it with a quick look and I wouldn't have commented myself as I never like or comment on public posts

Edited by Sugarplum Poobah, 19 February 2020 - 08:30 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.