Resources re. anxiety

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 amdirel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of any resources/fact sheets to educate adults re. anxiety in kids/teens.

Specifically, it's for adults who are working with teens (like a sports coach), who need info about what anxiety looks like (ie not just 'nerves', but explaining it can manifest in physical symptoms, and can seem like the teen is being attitudey), and also how to communicate with a teen with anxiety, ie what to say and what NOT to say.

In fact back to basics could be handy too, eg how to interact with teens in a way that promotes positive self esteem and confidence.

I suspect the resources will need to be simple and concise, or they won't get used.

I googled and googled but could only find info for parents and advocacy, and a bit for school teachers, though most of the stuff for teachers were paid programs and also quite specific to academics.

Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 José

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

Have you tried headspace? Youth beyond blue? Anxiety Canada website?

#3 onetrick

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:10 PM

As a teacher, we usually get this from a psychologist. Some people get it and to be honest, some just dont until it comes from someone with authority. Could you give the coach etc the same info that was given to the school? Not the diagnosis bit, just the how to help your DD stuff.
Sorry if this seems obvious, but the wording of your post suggested that you had tried other tactics and it hadn't worked.

#4 Astrocyte

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Second the ideas of Headspace and Beyond Blue. Orygen Youth Health would be good too.

#5 amdirel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

Ahhh why EB do I keep getting an error message when I try to post?!!

Edited by amdirel, 20 February 2020 - 06:42 PM.

#6 amdirel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

I've tried those websites but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Admittedly though it was 1am this morning as I was still trying to wind down after helping 2 of my teens through panic attacks and after having 'words' with aforementioned sport person earlier in the evening.

#7 amdirel

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

Onetrick- yes I do think that these people will only listen to someone of 'authority'. It has happened before with a friend's kid re injuries and them only taking it seriously when a physio got involved. I will ask our headspace counsellor next time we're there if she has anything useful to hand out.

#8 Anonforthistime

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

The I can network often post meme type pictures on their Facebook page with simple graphics of what anxiety can look like. This is an example which might be useful.

https://www.facebook...7723551/?type=3

Edited to say that the link just goes to their page. Their post from Sunday 16/2/20 is the one to look for as a start.

Edited by Anonforthistime, 20 February 2020 - 08:04 PM.

#9 Sui-yat

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

You could refer them to the free online training program by BRAVE. It offers a program for both children and teens with anxiety and also one for their caregivers to complete. I’m not sure if this is something that they would be willing to complete?

https://brave4you.psy.uq.edu.au/

#10 lizzzard

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

Does your DD see a psychologist? Ours have been really great at supplying information and also having meetings with the school. If your DD is involved a lot in her sport is definitely be inclined to ask her psych to have a call with the coach. You’ll probably have to pay for the cost of a regular session but I think it would be really helpful because they can give tailored and specific advice- all subject to you and your DD being comfortable with that of course.

#11 amdirel

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Anon- thanks, that piccy is great! Nice and simple.

Sui- I'm not sure that they'd be willing to do a program tbh.

Lizzard- yes I have thought of paying for a session for them to do education, I think that'd be helpful.

If anyone else has some resources to suggest, that would be great!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.