Dishwasher newbie - where am I going wrong?!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

Confession: I was wrong about dishwashers.

I always thought I didn't like them, that I didn't mind washing dishes, unnecessary use of water and electricity, yada yada. And then last year we moved into a place with a dishwasher. At first we weren't planning to even use it (idiots) but gave it a go and - life changing. Amazing. Love at first sight. His name is Sudsy.

It's honestly my favourite thing. Packing and unpacking the dishwasher is the highlight of my day. DP isn't allowed near it.

BUT.

I think I'm going wrong somewhere. I don't know if it's technique or me just being a newb and not understanding how they work, but quite often things aren't clean when they come out. Often plastics (which I understand is fairly common?) but crockery too. It varies by load - sometimes it's just one item, others more. Today there were 6 or 7 plates and bowls that looked like the water hadn't gotten to them, or had only washed half the surface.

I'm quite sure I'm not overpacking it - I asked a more experienced friend to review my stacking technique and she said if anything I'm underpacking and could fit more in.

I know you need to be sure not to cover the water thingamabob - but how do I know if I'm doing that? And surely just general loading of items shouldn't be enough to inhibit that...?

Is it the machine? It's a Samsung something-or-other, not sure what model but looks to be fairly new. I use the standard cycle; other cycles haven't made a difference.

Is it the detergent? (Finish Quantum Ultimate, which my brother insists is top of the line)

Is it the lack of pre-rinsing? The detergent pack says there's no need to but maybe that's lies (in which case, surely having to rinse everything defeats the purpose of having the dishwasher..?)

Expectations too high and this is standard practice?

Something else I'm missing?

Help me EB!

Edited for weird font thing.

Edited by cardamom, 20 February 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#2 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

Most obvious thing, make sure tall things aren’t blocking the upper spinner from spinning. Doesn’t hurt to give it a quick tap before you turn it on to make sure it’s not hitting a tall spoon or plate or something. Same with the bottom spinner, sometimes cutlery can drop down there and stop it from spinning.

Check the spinners aren’t clogged, they usually pop off  and you can check for stray corn cobs or grains of rice.

And pick a long cycle

And then it could just be a crappy dishwasher.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

Is it every load, or just occasional ones?

If it's occasional ones, it can be something like a small handle that slips down stopping the spray handle going around.

Have a look in the arms of the spray handles. Sometimes there can be a grain of rice or somesuch stuck in there that means the water doesn't spray out. Hard to imagine something able to resist such hot water, but it's happened to us.

I don't rinse anything much. Agree, on environmental grounds I'm not using a dishwasher AND as much water as I might use to wash them by hand. I do know make sure rice grains are gone, after being told that can clog machines.

#4 Charli73

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

We rinse everything under the tap before we put it in, and on a long cycle generally gets everything clean.

Maybe try a cleaning cycle (buy cleaner from the supermarket) and make water jets aren’t blocked with lime scale.

#5 feralisles

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:51 PM

Ours had a blocked filter on the water inlet line, meant it wasn't getting enough water pressure to clean properly.  Not sure if they all have those filters, but might be worth a look.

#6 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

Have you checked the filter? At the bottom?
Cleaning that can help us.
Also running a cleaner through it.

What sort of soap do you use? If they have the dissolvable wrapping I’ve found you need to pop them in the bottom not in the little holder on the door for better results.

#7 Riotproof

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

Have you cleaned the filter? If you are not a rinser, you may need to rinse filter every go.
Also given it was never new to you, I would run one of those cleaner things. I’m getting finish ones that you can use while you have a full load.  But the upside down bottle ones also work well.

#8 nasty buddha

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

I'd run it with a whole lot of bicarb in to loosen the grime and scrub the filter afterwards. Alsonthe jets can get blocked and might need cleaning with something like a toothpick.  

It really depends on the design of this samsung. You could give samsung a call too or check out maintence instructions in the manual (google the model if you don't have it).

#9 IamzFeralz

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:57 PM

I had this recently and I found that the drain filter had been unscrewed loose, probably one of the kids!  

Anyway I screwed it back in and the nice clean dishes came back.

#10 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Ooh, thanks everyone - lots of things to try.

View PostRiotproof, on 20 February 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

Have you cleaned the filter? If you are not a rinser, you may need to rinse filter every go.
Also given it was never new to you, I would run one of those cleaner things. I’m getting finish ones that you can use while you have a full load.  But the upside down bottle ones also work well.

We used one of the upside down bottle ones before we used it. The filter, I'm not sure about - I've certainly never cleaned it but DP might have. That's the thing at the bottom, right?

#11 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 20 February 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

Same with the bottom spinner, sometimes cutlery can drop down there and stop it from spinning.

It has a cutlery tray so am assuming that's not it, but thank you!

View Postborn.a.girl, on 20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

Is it every load, or just occasional ones?

If it's occasional ones, it can be something like a small handle that slips down stopping the spray handle going around.

Hmm - it's not every load, but it's more frequent than occasional, if that makes sense.

View Postnasty buddha, on 20 February 2020 - 05:57 PM, said:

You could give samsung a call too or check out maintence instructions in the manual (google the model if you don't have it).

Found the manual online shortly after we moved in, otherwise I'd have had no idea how to turn the bloomin' thing on :laugh:

Thanks for the tips - off to investigate the filter and spray handles.

To be honest, even if this keeps happening I'm still pretty besotted.

#12 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

Make sure the thing where the tablet or powder pops out isn't blocked, and as somebody mentioned nothing fallen down.  Sometimes stubborn stains need a hotter longer wash.

Just wanted to also point out as a general statement that using a dishwasher is actually better for the environment than handwashing, they use far less water and therefore power.

Edited by Backtoschoolchef, 20 February 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#13 Dianalynch

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

I would clean the filter and then rinse a bit before you put the dishes in, it does seem to help

I love my dishwasher too. :)

#14 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

View PostBacktoschoolchef, on 20 February 2020 - 06:14 PM, said:

Just wanted to also point out as a general statement that using a dishwasher is much better for the environment than handwashing, they use far less water and therefore power.

I know, I was so delighted when I learned that! It was actually from an EB thread, I think. Kicking myself - we had a dishwasher in our old place where we lived for 5 years and never once used it - we used it for storage instead.

#15 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Ah, it seems like it's not just me - I just Googled and found reviews of this model and they're universally terrible:

https://www.samsung....er-dw60h6050fs/

#16 Riotproof

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

View Postcardamom, on 20 February 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Ooh, thanks everyone - lots of things to try.

We used one of the upside down bottle ones before we used it. The filter, I'm not sure about - I've certainly never cleaned it but DP might have. That's the thing at the bottom, right?

Yep.. like a wire mesh thing that comes out. Google your model instruction manual.
Also check the spinny arm things aren’t blocked. And spin the arm on the top basket when you’ve loaded it, just to check nothing is getting in the way.

Wow, they are sh*t reviews. I would still try the things suggested. It sounds a bit like my last dishwasher. I couldn’t have dinner plates and stemmed wine glasses at the same time.

Edited by Riotproof, 20 February 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#17 MissMilla

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

I would say its pre rinsing. Especially when you put items in and dont turn it on right away the dirt will dry and wont come off as easily.

#18 TrixieBelden

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:43 PM

This is the first time we’ve had a dishwasher and we are so ecstatic we don’t even care it doesn’t do quite as good a job.  We feel the same about having a cleaner.....house is cleaner when we do it, but if the cleaner does it we don’t have to..hurrah!

We do avoid the shortest cycle as that doesn’t do a great job.  The longer one (marked for ‘pans’) is better.

#19 NWO

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:46 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 20 February 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

What sort of soap do you use? If they have the dissolvable wrapping I’ve found you need to pop them in the bottom not in the little holder on the door for better results.

Wow, you have just rocked my world.

I have been having similar issues as OP recently (mind you this is a 12 yr old machine but a Bosh so has been good) and while I always do a quick rinse (or get the kids to when they put their plates in the sink) I have noticed some dishes / coffee mugs / spoons not being completely clean. I have also noticed sometimes there being residue / remains of the dissolvable soap in the holder after a wash which obviously means it wasn't completely used or used as effectively as it could have.

I will try placing it in the bottom tonight and see how that goes.

Thank you!

#20 Paddlepop

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:55 PM

View Postcardamom, on 20 February 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

Ah, it seems like it's not just me - I just Googled and found reviews of this model and they're universally terrible:

https://www.samsung....er-dw60h6050fs/

Here's some more reviews:
https://www.productr...ung-dw60h6050fs

Sounds like you might need a different dishwasher if you want one that washes properly.

#21 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:04 PM

Cardamon, if you decide to get a new machine we have a Bosch and we love it.   Quiet.  The 30 minute wash works for 99% of my loads and stuff is always clean.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

View PostMissMilla, on 20 February 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

I would say its pre rinsing. Especially when you put items in and dont turn it on right away the dirt will dry and wont come off as easily.

It can take three days before we have a full enough load to run the dishwasher.  I don't rinse and don't have any problems like that.

I do use a jug with water in it for the cutlery though, and only put that in as I'm about to run it.

#23 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

Bosch here, we rinse nothing ever (and I twitch when our support workers do), we clean the filter every once and a while and run a finish dishwasher cleaning thingy every once in a while.

I like the cutlery drawer but I think our previous dishwasher did a better job of cleaning cutlery.

#24 got my tinsel on

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

Hi OP,

everyone has given great advice, but it does sound like the machine is a lemon.

I was very late to discovering the delights of a dishwasher as we are only a family of 3 and it seemed like overkill, but as DS's hours started dragging on and I was only getting to start washing dishes at 9pm-ish, I threw caution to the wind and bought what is now my best friend.

It takes 2-3 days before I consider we have enough dirty dishes to turn it on, I don't usually pre-rinse and everything still comes out clean and dry.

There are many great models out there, hope your experience with the next dishwasher is a good one.  

I'm really glad (and somewhat relieved) that someone else has named their dishwasher.  Our is an Ariston so just had to be called Jennifer (Jenny for short).

#25 llamarama

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:02 PM

It does sound like the filter needs a clean. FWIW I have a Samsung fridge and it is also a lemon - no end of problems! Fingers crossed a good filter clean is all you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.