Dishwasher newbie - where am I going wrong?!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 lozoodle

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

IMO its all in the stacking. Check your user guide it will give you the optimum stacking arrangement for it to work well.

The only way to go is fairy. Everything else just doesn't do the trick.

Also don't leave things in there so long they go dry and disgusting. I know it seems wasteful when its not full, but honestly the newer models use less water than a sink full of washing up water anyway.

My 3 hour eco cycle (the default on my machine) gets everything perfect and the manual says it only uses 11 litres of water. I'd use more than that in a sink with rinsing etc.

Edited by lozoodle, 20 February 2020 - 09:13 PM.

#27 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:18 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 20 February 2020 - 09:11 PM, said:

IMO its all in the stacking. Check your user guide it will give you the optimum stacking arrangement for it to work well.

I did, I'm stacking less closely than suggested and they're still not clean!

Apparently the model is discontinued, lots of reviews online from people who've had the same problems - dishes coming out dirtier than when they went in! Poor Sudsy.

#28 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 20 February 2020 - 07:04 PM, said:

Cardamon, if you decide to get a new machine we have a Bosch and we love it.   Quiet.  The 30 minute wash works for 99% of my loads and stuff is always clean.

30 minutes! Oh how glorious. The "normal" cycle on this one is nearly 3 hours. Thanks for the tip!

#29 lozoodle

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:27 PM

View Postcardamom, on 20 February 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

I did, I'm stacking less closely than suggested and they're still not clean!

Apparently the model is discontinued, lots of reviews online from people who've had the same problems - dishes coming out dirtier than when they went in! Poor Sudsy.

Oh that is frustrating. I do admit my old smeg dishwasher which was supposed to be whiz bang amazing never really got things as good as my current one.

We replaced with a much cheaper one, the only thing I really wanted was the cutlery tray up top so no basket to deal with. so we got a delonghi one for about $500 and its actually been all sorts of amazing with cleaning.

But I didn't start using the fairy things til I got the new one (cheaper tablets eroded the inside of my old dishwasher and caused a huge water leak.... $$$$). So its hard to know whether its the new dishwasher or the tablets making the difference?

#30 RynandStompy

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

We have a cheapie dishwasher. But it's still good provided we pre -rinse.
And use the tradional powder (eg Finish) instead of tablets. I got that tip from a repairer a few years ago.

#31 Riotproof

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

Tip. If you want to buy branded tablets, some pharmacies and the reject shop often have really good deals. I bought my last lot of fairy with the rinse aid in the wrapper from catch.

#32 cardamom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 20 February 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

Tip. If you want to buy branded tablets, some pharmacies and the reject shop often have really good deals. I bought my last lot of fairy with the rinse aid in the wrapper from catch.

Yep, our giant batch of Finish was from catch, and the general Powerball is really cheap at Chemist Warehouse and Reject Shop.

#33 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:34 PM

It does sound like a lemon machine!

I have an older Bosch that sometimes does this a few washes in a row. I find I need to clean the filter, make sure the water sprayers are spinning freely, clean all around the door and seals (it's amazing how much grime can build up) and run it on the hottest wash, empty. I don't tend to use the machine cleaning solutions but I probably should.

#34 BECZ

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

Shamefully, we have a Samsung, even after we were advised not to from EB members.  DP really wanted the Waterwall and only Samsung had/have it.  Ours Is a different model and had bad reviews initially, but major changes were made it had good reviews after that.  DP eventually wore me down and ‘touch wood’ so far, so good.  We just had to make sure that we got the later model.
We have had it for almost 2.5 years.  Although I must admit that on its first cycle it stopped and came up the same error code that many people had complained about with the older model.  I had a look and discovered that the pipe which DP had attached the drain pipe to was still sealed and he hadn’t drilled a hole in it.  Apart from that all good.

I don’t think Samsung did too well in the dishwasher department although after reading many of the bad reviews on your model OP, many said that all was good after unblocking sprayers, etc.  So I’d try and give it a thorough clean and see how it goes.

#35 pjl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:08 AM

We have a Samsung dishwasher and often have the same problem. If it's overstacked, or if the top drawer is full, it struggles badly with the cutlery. We prerinse anything that has sticky residue...the main offenders are egg and avocado!

We use Aldi dishwashing powder on the recommendation of a repairer.
The tablets cause a build up that can result in the lines getting blocked - ours flooded the kitchen!
Haven't had the problem since switching to powder though.

#36 jayskette

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:56 AM

public service announcememt: don't prerinse. scrape food off instead. dishwashers have computers and sensors, if they see prerinsed dishes they will use less jet force etc to clean the entire load, causing uneven cleaning.

#37 kimasa

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:04 AM

Our old place had a Samsung and that thing was useless.

New house has a Westinghouse and it's so wonderful.

#38 laridae

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:14 AM

Whenever mine start coming out grotty it's usually something to do with the filters.  Either not clean or not in properly.

#39 Chelara

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:22 AM

I have a Bosch and I can pretty much stack it however I want and it washes fine so long as the spinner arms aren’t hitting anything and water can physically get to everything. One critical thing with the Bosch is that the drawers have to be pushed in 100% as the water connection to the spinner arm won’t work if it’s not.

i have also found tablets to not work properly in my Bosch so I’ve always used powder, you can have a smaller dose that way. I never tried just throwing the tablets in.

#40 Romeo Void

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:29 AM

Clean the filter and make sure you twist it in and it's clicked in properly. I took ours out to clean but didn't twist it all the way back in and we got muck all over our dishes till I worked out what I'd done wrong.

#41 overlytired

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

The only thing I can suggest that hasn't been covered is to check your water is hot enough and has enough pressure.

#42 cardamom

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone - we pulled out and washed the filter and other miscellaneous bits, wiped all the seals and surfaces, and cleaned the spray arms; there was quite a bit of schmutz stuck in them, including - inexplicably - a large number of leaves??

Anyway, I had an extra bottle of dishwasher cleaner in the cupboard so it's currently running with that on the very hot cycle. We shall see!

#43 Riotproof

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:28 PM

That might be a good sign. You may need to clean the arms stupidly often. Sounds like a dp job.

#44 kimasa

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

View Postcardamom, on 21 February 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips everyone - we pulled out and washed the filter and other miscellaneous bits, wiped all the seals and surfaces, and cleaned the spray arms; there was quite a bit of schmutz stuck in them, including - inexplicably - a large number of leaves??

Lol. My previously mentioned dodgy dishwasher was full of hama beads when we first moved in. My Mum was helping us unpack and I was talking to her while pulling handfuls of hama beads out of the filter and we just kept the conversation going until we both cracked up laughing.

#45 ksds

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:38 PM

Other than cleaning the filter, use dishwasher rinseaid as well. It helps dry everything and get any dots etc off. We never rinse anything and only have a cheap machine that we use on a short cycle and never have any dirty dishes etc... we even put roasting dishes etc in un rinsed.

Edited by ksds, 23 February 2020 - 07:38 PM.

#46 Mumsyto2

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

Dishwashers drive needs insane. I’ve had seven over the years. They are all different and have different needs.

Some have been fine with top of the line Finish tablets, others won’t clean at all with them and I got the best results with Fairy or Also tablets. Some cleaned better on the bottom shelf, some cleaned better on the top shelf so I had to put pots and pans up top but the bottom shelf was not really made up accomodate glasses etc, frustrating. Some I had to run an upside down cleaner through weekly to run well, some monthly. Some needed the arms cleaned virtually every second day, some almost never.

I really hate getting a new dishwasher just when I have the old one worked out. Reality is though most repairs needed means just getting a new one is cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.