Multi focals or bifocals?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

DH has been short sighted for years, but is becoming more long sighted with age. He thinks he might need multi focal or bifocal glasses (and will see an optometrist).

What are the pros and cons of these types of spectacles? Anything he should be aware of with the different options?

TIA

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

I've worn glasses since my twenties.

First need of any reading aspect I went for mutlifocals.

Then I had separate reading glasses for 'reading'.

Now at mid sixties I found myself craning my neck all the time at the computer so now have bifocal reading glasses. Looking straight ahead for the computer, looking down for reading books.

#3 dadwasathome

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

I have multifocals. They “blend” between reading and distance so it’s not an “I can’t see that through that part of my glasses” situation.

I have the multifocals which are designed to maximise both parts of your vision. Expensive but (for me) worth it

#4 kadoodle

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

DS1 has multifocals. They’re much less of a tripping hazard.

#5 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Bifocals are the old technology lenses with the line. The top section is the distance vision. The bottom section is the near vision. There's no intermediate (desktop computer screen or car dash board) vision.

Multifocals are the new technology with the 3 focus points (distance, intermediate, near) blended from top to bottom so there's no line.

#6 foom

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

I have multifocals and find them very easy to use. Having the intermediate in the middle is great for short stints on the computer.

I work in IT so if I'm on the computer a lot then it really is a lot. For then I have a separate set of glasses set right for the computer screen.

#7 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

OP, if he'll be on the computer a lot (like most of an 8 hour work day) then he may need to consider a separate computer pair. This could be a single vision for the computer screen only, or it could be a multifocal that is  set up for the computer screen and the desk for paperwork.

#8 Silver Girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for replying. DH is finding them very informative. He works in IT and also spends a lot of time in meetings.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

View PostCheesy Sanga, on 20 February 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Bifocals are the old technology lenses with the line. The top section is the distance vision. The bottom section is the near vision. There's no intermediate (desktop computer screen or car dash board) vision.

Multifocals are the new technology with the 3 focus points (distance, intermediate, near) blended from top to bottom so there's no line.

I have astigmatism so have had multifocals for decades.

The 'reading only' glasses are much, much better as bifocals, given the nature of their use.

I wear the multis all the time and can easily read through the bottom, but with significant arthritis in my neck, the reading ones for looking at the computer screen are brilliant.

This has only come with age. Prior to that I could read the screen through the top part of the multis.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:48 AM

Is he up for contact lenses? My mum wears one script in one eye and the other script in the other. Works well and only occassionally she pulls out reading glasses.
Other option with be laser surgery to correct one so he has to have only one script.

#11 Lifesgood

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:12 AM

Bifocals make you look like an old person. Multi focals don't.

End of discussion.

#12 foom

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:02 AM

Silvergirl, I got my computer glasses the year before my multifocals. My optometrist was on the borderline of giving me multifocals so she did the computer glasses that year in anticipation of the multifocals the following year.

When she did my computer glasses she sat me at her desk (with the lenses thingy turned so I could use it) and had me sit at the distance I usually sit at the screen. So that's something to consider if he gets computer glasses - is he usually on a laptop (which I use my multifocals for) or at a desk with a set back large screen (I use my computer glasses for).

My computer glasses are fine for driving so if I forget to change them before school pickup it's fine. They also act as my spare glasses when we travel.

#13 Jane Jetson

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:13 AM

I've been wearing glasses since I was one and started kindy in bifocals. I've been in multis since a couple of years after that. You get used to them surprisingly quickly.

As an adult I also experimented with having separate reading and long-distance glasses, and found all the farting around with different pairs to be a royal pain in the butt.

Multis just make life easier. There's no fiddling around, and the blend from long through intermediate to up-close streamlines the whole thing.

The cons are that they are not cheap, especially when you go for the high-impact (ie thinner and less Coke bottley) lenses; and that you may be constrained a bit in terms of the actual frames you choose, as not all work with multis (mine really didn't during the big bug-eye sunglasses thing a couple of years ago, which p*ssed me right off).

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostJane Jetson, on 21 February 2020 - 08:13 AM, said:

I've been wearing glasses since I was one and started kindy in bifocals. I've been in multis since a couple of years after that. You get used to them surprisingly quickly.

As an adult I also experimented with having separate reading and long-distance glasses, and found all the farting around with different pairs to be a royal pain in the butt.

Multis just make life easier. There's no fiddling around, and the blend from long through intermediate to up-close streamlines the whole thing.

The cons are that they are not cheap, especially when you go for the high-impact (ie thinner and less Coke bottley) lenses; and that you may be constrained a bit in terms of the actual frames you choose, as not all work with multis (mine really didn't during the big bug-eye sunglasses thing a couple of years ago, which p*ssed me right off).

Right up there with the best of first world problems I know, but I'd love to have some fab glasses and always end up with these boring things due to the lens.

#15 Jane Jetson

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 February 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

Right up there with the best of first world problems I know, but I'd love to have some fab glasses and always end up with these boring things due to the lens.

Hey, we live in the first world, I reckon we get to be p*ssed off by first world problems :lol:

It's bad enough that my eyes are as bad as they are and that I had to have all the interventions I did - telling me I'm only allowed to shop in the Frump Section just adds insult to injury!

#16 Lesley225

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

I've had glasses since I was 18 mths and ended up in multis in my 30s.  Never had one sec of transition.  I was tried on a bit first and I couldn't deal with at all , I just don't look in the correct part of the lens.

I do now also have a pair of computer glasses for the past few years.  I wear them around the office till I go outside and realise it's all blury.

In my multis I have a multi in my left eye and single lens in my right as I don't read with that eye just look long distance.  That saved some nice money.

#17 Chocolate Addict

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Do they still do bi focals? lol

I have multi's. Started with glasses for driving then reading and got sick of changing glasses all the time so got multi.

As someone said, it does limit the range of styles cos they have to have enough lens space to fit the bi's in but other than that they are great.

No lines so no one would know they were multi focal. :)

#18 Indi

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

I have multi-focals plus computer glasses.  I can see the computer with my multi-focals but have to look up all the time resulting in significant neck and shoulder pain.

I wear my computer glasses for pretty much everything inside and at work except for work meetings with a presentation on a front screen.  I wear my multi-focals for everything outside including driving.  I also have multi-focal sun glasses.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 21 February 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

Do they still do bi focals? lol

I have multi's. Started with glasses for driving then reading and got sick of changing glasses all the time so got multi.

As someone said, it does limit the range of styles cos they have to have enough lens space to fit the bi's in but other than that they are great.

No lines so no one would know they were multi focal. Posted Image

Yes, they do. Because when you're looking at a computer, then looking down at a book, it may be preferable to move from your multifocals to bifocals.  I have both.

I have the joy of looking straight ahead at a computer and reading in bed with the same glasses with perfect clarity, unlike my multis, which theoretically can do that, but  unfortunately, age comes to the lucky ones, and that's not sufficient.

lol.

#20 Lifesgood

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:47 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 February 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

Yes, they do. Because when you're looking at a computer, then looking down at a book, it may be preferable to move from your multifocals to bifocals.  I have both.

I have the joy of looking straight ahead at a computer and reading in bed with the same glasses with perfect clarity, unlike my multis, which theoretically can do that, but  unfortunately, age comes to the lucky ones, and that's not sufficient.

lol.
I struggle with multifocals and computer work. I have to wear plain reading glasses.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:02 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 22 February 2020 - 05:47 AM, said:

I struggle with multifocals and computer work. I have to wear plain reading glasses.

That's what I had for a long while, multis and reading. Problem was the reading was set more for books. I'm assuming they asked me, I don't remember. At that stage I was probably using the multis for the computer.

My main issue with the multis and the desktop is that it's a Mac, without an adjustable height.  I even swapped an excellent quality desk for a cheapie because it was lower. With significant arthritis in my neck it was uncomfortable.

I know I could get an adjustable height desk for a small monthly mortgage payment, but it seemed easier to get bifocal reading glasses. They either live in front of the computer or on the bedside table.

Side note for anyone with astigmatism, it can actually improve as you get older. Mine is now a 'lower' prescription than it used to be.  I can easily drive without glasses - I don't because it's on my licence.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.