Birthday and daycare?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 newmumandexcited

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

Is it bad I dropped my twins in at daycare on their third birthday? With cupcakes for the little class?

I’ve taught like twenty classes this week and worked the last four days, have gastro, took them for breakfast so dropped them in 2.5 later than usual and am having a family gathering tonight and just so felt I needed a rest..

But I can’t enjoy the break because it’s their birthday.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 21 February 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#2 trillian42

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

They are celebrating their birthday with their friends at daycare and with cupcakes. They will be celebrating with family more later. You’re amazing, don’t stress and enjoy a rest :)

#3 seayork2002

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:31 AM

My son always goes to school on his birthday (I think he may have missed one when he was in daycare cause we went away) to me it is normal to go.

#4 newmumandexcited

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

Thank you - I don’t chat to many parents so had no idea if people keep them home or send them..

#5 seayork2002

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 21 February 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

Thank you - I don’t chat to many parents so had no idea if people keep them home or send them..

On here there is a mix I think but when DS was younger he liked being fussed over at school on his birthday, but if it a school day he goes as school work does not stop!

#6 JBH

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:50 AM

I remember feeling terrible guilt and suggesting to my about to turn 4 year old that he should stay home on his birthday (even though it was going to be very difficult with work), and he looked at me in disbelief. He did not particularly like daycare, but his birthday was the one day he was looking forward to - wearing the birthday crown, eating cake and deciding on the activity of the day. It was about the only day he didn’t cling to me at drop off. They do a good job of making birthdays special.

#7 Little Bean

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

Gosh, don't feel bad at all, they will still have a special day and most likely love the novelty of being the birthday kids.
Normal to them will be whatever they know, regardless of what other families do.
I remember being mortified when one of my good friends dropped her then 2yo off at daycare on her (the child's) birthday, as my friend wasn't working and had no other plans for the day.
Did her daughter care? I doubt it. Daughter is 9 now and decidedly not scarred from the event.
Enjoy your rest so you can make the most of your evening with them.

#8 Mollyksy

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:20 AM

I've never kept DS home on his bday. Cake, friends, fun activities all make for a better bday I reckon! Rest up, feel better, then party with them tonight!!

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I have always sent kids to daycare/school if it falls on the day. I know parents who don't. Enjoy the day and get some rest OP.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:40 AM

You've had a rough couple of years.

Enjoy some relaxation during the day - birthday plus evening is pretty good.  They'll have a ball during the day too, with the focus being on them.  Win/win all round, given I assume you'd have had to pay for it anyway.

I unfortunately managed to have my only child in the midst of the most frantic weeks of the year. It only lasted about ten weeks but she was smack in the middle.

Getting a couple of hours out of me would have been a miracle.

#11 AllyK81

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

That is the last thing on earth to feel guilty about. They will have a wonderful day. Kids love the birthday attention they get at daycare or school!

#12 newmumandexcited

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

Thanks guys!! I feel much better xx

#13 daisy007

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

I only recently learned that keeping kids home, not going to work on your birthday was a thing people did! Definitely something that will never happen in our house. Don’t feel guilty, kids will have a great day with their friends.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:55 AM

You’re already a better mum than me cause you bothered with cupcakes, lol. I’ve never done birthday treats.
I wouldn’t keep my kids home on their birthday, but my kids were only at short day Kinder, so maybe it’s different, I dunno.
Don’t feel guilty. Kids don’t really know when their birthday is anyway. Tell them it’s tomorrow.

#15 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

I felt guilty that my son went to childcare on his 2nd birthday. But he had an awesome day.

Last year, I felt bad he wasn't there on his 3rd birthday hahahah #mumguilt

#16 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

My girls LOVE going to school on their birthday - they get to celebrate with their friends and have a fuss made over them.  My one kid who was born in January always feels cheated that he misses out on this.  

I bet your kids have a wonderful day, and I hope you get a chance to rest before tonight's celebration.

#17 Chocolate Addict

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Is the whole keeping them home from school/day care on their birthday's a new thing? I had never heard of it, it never crossed my mind.

I don't get a day off work if it is my birthday. lol

#18 Kaz83

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

I dont have a problem keeping my kids home from school on their birthday if thats what they want to do. I wouldnt think twice about taking them out for the day, one missed day of school wont hurt. Mine always want to go though!!

However in the case of the OP I think you have covered all bases in making sure they have a special day, you took them out for brekky, made cupcakes, youre taking them out for dinner.... youre all good!! No place for guilt here. Enjoy the 5 mins to yourself and Im sure they will be super excited to tell you all theyve done today when you pick them up!!

#19 Dianalynch

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

It never occurred to me to keep them home from daycare on their birthday, I thought I was awesome if I remembered to send along a cake. So I guess that makes you awesome too op, enjoy your awesomeness and bask in the warm glow of a job well done.

#20 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 21 February 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:

My son always goes to school on his birthday (I think he may have missed one when he was in daycare cause we went away) to me it is normal to go.

Same, we never miss school or work for birthdays here.  Its the thought that counts so doing something on the weekend is fine IMHO as long as everyone gets their time to be special.
At 3 they wont understand birthdays that well any way.

Hope you feel better OP"!

#21 27plus

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

Birthdays = cake.

They get cake at daycare! They will be thrilled and so will all the other children as cake is not a usual thing at daycare.

At our daycare it is a biggish thing - they get to blow out the candles in front of their peers and the peers sing happy birthday.  Everyone loves it.

Then they have a second celebration at home :yes: and more cake!

#22 amaza

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Look I'm one of those who gives my kids the day off for their birthday but the toddlers always go to daycare. They don't know any different anyway.

I'd suggest you cancel tonight, especially if you have gastro, relax and get to feeling better and then rebook the family gathering to next week. The twins will get another celebration later and tonight they'll just get to relax with you and cake.

#23 luke's mummu

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:29 PM

I always send my kids to preschool/school on their birthday. They always get to celebrate with family on the weekend. I don’t believe in wasting school costs/CCS unless you are sick or on holidays.

#24 lozoodle

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

Nope! Mine always go to school etc on birthdays. All good. In fact they really enjoy it and love taking cupcakes for their friends.

#25 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:58 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 21 February 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

Is it bad I dropped my twins in at daycare on their third birthday? With cupcakes for the little class?

I’ve taught like twenty classes this week and worked the last four days, have gastro, took them for breakfast so dropped them in 2.5 later than usual and am having a family gathering tonight and just so felt I needed a rest..

But I can’t enjoy the break because it’s their birthday.

Nope going to day care on their birthdays is fine.

Taking them out to breakfast and having visitors over while you have gastro, is not fine.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.