Jump to content

Medicare History - Finding out who the service provider was


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MissBehaving

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:35 PM

I was looking at my kid's history records today and while on mine the "Services provided by" field is filled in, it's not on theirs.

Is this the case for everyone?

Would it be possible for me to find out this information from somewhere?

Edited by MissBehaving, 21 February 2020 - 04:40 PM.


#2 IamzFeralz

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

Yes for all children over 14 apparently as they are given privacy.  So theoretically they can go to the doctor by themselves and get their own card at 15.

#3 MissBehaving

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

Kids are 5 and 3

#4 JRA

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

Yep, once they become 14, it becomes even harder.

#5 Mose

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

I think the information is supposed to be there for younger children - but I am also not sure what you need it for?  Depending what you need the info for someone on here might be able to suggest how to get it.

if you have forgotten contact details or similar for one of their medical practitioners, your GP might have the details.

If you just want the records to show properly then that's probably a phonecall or visit to Medicare to sort it out unfortunately.

#6 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

Mines the same, little kids.  It’s all kids I think.
I thought you can’t even see the older teens at all?

#7 MissBehaving

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:39 PM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 21 February 2020 - 04:21 PM, said:

Mines the same, little kids.  It’s all kids I think.
I thought you can’t even see the older teens at all?
Ok, not just me.

I'm wanting to know because my DD recently described a visit to a doctor where it sounds like she had blood taken. It was my ex (I'm guessing) who took the kids to someone while he withheld them a while ago and I was hoping to find out to whom so I could find out what was tested etc.

Edited by MissBehaving, 21 February 2020 - 04:42 PM.


#8 Ivy Ivy

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

View PostMissBehaving, on 21 February 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

Ok, not just me.

I'm wanting to know because my DD recently described a visit to a doctor where it sounds like she had blood taken. It was my ex (I'm guessing) who took the kids to someone while he withheld them a while ago and I was hoping to find out to whom so I could find out what was tested etc.

My first thought was DNA test.  Probably a bit melodramatic.
If it was just standard blood tests you could telephone the common pathology companies in your state.

#9 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

View PostMissBehaving, on 21 February 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

Ok, not just me.

I'm wanting to know because my DD recently described a visit to a doctor where it sounds like she had blood taken. It was my ex (I'm guessing) who took the kids to someone while he withheld them a while ago and I was hoping to find out to whom so I could find out what was tested etc.


I'm sorry, that's awful. I wonder if your GP could help?

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 21 February 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

My first thought was DNA test.  Probably a bit melodramatic.
If it was just standard blood tests you could telephone the common pathology companies in your state.

Would DNA testing be subsidised by Medicare, though, if there was no medical reason to do so?

#11 MissBehaving

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 21 February 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:



My first thought was DNA test.  Probably a bit melodramatic.
If it was just standard blood tests you could telephone the common pathology companies in your state.
He was/is trying to paint me as an unfit parent, was more likely to be a check to see if the kids were nutritionally deficient.

I did a little more questioning of DD and it seems it was ex's partner who took them and she was told not to tell me.

Man I hate those twerps.

Eta: probably not worth the stress to try and find out from either Medicare or ex what went on.

Edited by MissBehaving, 21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM.


#12 rosie28

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:42 PM

Your GP can ring the pathology places and request a copy of the results, which will have the name of the requesting doctor on them.

#13 Ivy Ivy

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 21 February 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

Would DNA testing be subsidised by Medicare, though, if there was no medical reason to do so?

The clinician could be identified via Medicare or vai the pathology/blood test request.

My suggestion about telephoning the pathology companies (and those blood tests may or may not have been bulk billed via Medicare) was only about finding out what investigations were done on her children.  (Rosie28's suggestion is another way to discover this, IF the GP is co-operative.  I'd just cut out the middleman (the GP) but that's me.)

I'd be ropeable if an ex's girlfriend, who was not even a legal guardian, took my children to a clinician, and for blood tests, or other invasive or any investigations.  Young kids are scared of needles and having X-Rays and MRIs etc.  I'd be having stern words to whatever adult did that to my kids, though I appreciate everyone's situation is different, and some have to tread delicately around ex's, because of their ex's anger reactions.  (God forbid women don't modify their behaviour for men.)

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

View PostIvy Ivy, on 21 February 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

The clinician could be identified via Medicare or vai the pathology/blood test request.

My suggestion about telephoning the pathology companies (and those blood tests may or may not have been bulk billed via Medicare) was only about finding out what investigations were done on her children.  (Rosie28's suggestion is another way to discover this, IF the GP is co-operative.  I'd just cut out the middleman (the GP) but that's me.)

I'd be ropeable if an ex's girlfriend, who was not even a legal guardian, took my children to a clinician, and for blood tests, or other invasive or any investigations.  Young kids are scared of needles and having X-Rays and MRIs etc.  I'd be having stern words to whatever adult did that to my kids, though I appreciate everyone's situation is different, and some have to tread delicately around ex's, because of their ex's anger reactions.  (God forbid women don't modify their behaviour for men.)


Abso-bloody-lutely.

I just wondered if the OP was trying to identify which actual transaction it was, whether it would appear at all on the medicare records.

To not even be able to ask the child's other parents what the kid was talking about must be agonising.

#15 rosie28

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:41 PM

I suggested the GP because they’ll also be able to get a copy of the results over the phone and interpret them for you. The path place may well tell you the name of the doctor but they shouldn’t tell you the results.

#16 Coffeegirl

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

Have your tried googling “Dr provider number Xxxx”

I just tried this with my GP and he came up

#17 Agnetha

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

I would contact Medicare directly to find out and explain that a non parent took your child for tests


#18 Mose

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

View PostMissBehaving, on 21 February 2020 - 05:37 PM, said:


He was/is trying to paint me as an unfit parent, was more likely to be a check to see if the kids were nutritionally deficient.

I did a little more questioning of DD and it seems it was ex's partner who took them and she was told not to tell me.

Man I hate those twerps.

Eta: probably not worth the stress to try and find out from either Medicare or ex what went on.

I'm sorry. That's awful.

#19 PatG

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

I think it is hidden so that a separated parent can't work put the probable home location of the other parent in cases where this isn't shared info.

#20 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

View PostAgnetha, on 21 February 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

I would contact Medicare directly to find out and explain that a non parent took your child for tests

Definitely this!

#21 Lees75

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

If you ex has taken her and used his Medicare card with her on it, would it even show on the medical records linked to your card?

#22 MissBehaving

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

View PostLees75, on 23 February 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

If you ex has taken her and used his Medicare card with her on it, would it even show on the medical records linked to your card?
I didn't think it used to but either he used my card number for them or it is due to the changes that came with the introduction of the MyHealth record.

There are multiple appointments showing on their hsitories from the period they were withheld so I know it wasn't me. No record of pathology, so it must not have been covered by Medicare (Maybe it was DNA testing, ha!) - I was checking because it was talked about in a DV victim support group I was at (to opt out of MyHealth if you need to hide your location from your ex). It had been a few weeks since DD told the story describing the blood being taken (and how scared she was and how much it hurt :( )

I would love to confront ex/his partner over this but when they tell the kids not to tell me stuff, they say that if they do, they'll "never get to see Daddy again" - so I have to be careful so the kids feel they can continue to tell me the secrets they've been told to keep.

As for calling Medicare, as a PP said, the providers not showing has been done for child protection reasons (I eventually found this info online) and I don't want to be seen as the "bad" separated parent trying to breach the other parents privacy or whatever.

Ex is having very little contact with the kids these days but I will check their records after any contact in future and bring it up immediately if it happens again.

#23 PuddingPlease

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

I've had a thought, were the kids enrolled at a new childcare centre or kinder (or school for your oldest) in the time they were there? If so, it may be worth contacting the centre and asking what evidence was provided of prior vaccination.

It's just a thought but if accessing medicare records has been difficult for you then it seems likely that their father and his partner may also have incomplete access to the kids medical records.

If the alternative was to do a whole new set of precautionary vaccinations prior to enrolment then I'd imagine a GP would be willing to take a blood test and check for antibodies, the results could then be provided in lieu of immunisation records to the care provider.

#24 Dirty Cat

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

When a child  appears in two Medicare cards and is taken to a provided on card 1 that service will appear in the history on both cards (as it is a persons history) but the service provider/address is not visible for card 2. Only card 1 can see the service provider/address where the service was undertaken.

This was implemented as a privacy measure as many parents were being tracked down/stalked by this info being available to all.

Calling a provider will not help you find info. Privacy will mean they should only talk to the card holder/patent liated

Edited by Dirty Cat, 23 February 2020 - 01:52 PM.


#25 immismum

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

DO You have consent orders?  Most orders will talk about keeping the other parent informed.

Honestly I think you can confront them, purely on the Medicare info.  Particularly if you have been diligent about keeping your ex up to date with any tests that happen on your time.


There no need to let them know your children told you anything.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.