Scripture

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

How are scripture teachers chosen for NSW public schools?

Besides a volunteer WWCC do they need to meet any other requirements?

My kids don't attend scripture but I have enough concerns about one of the teachers that I'm considering reporting anyway.

#2 José

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 21 February 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

How are scripture teachers chosen for NSW public schools?

Besides a volunteer WWCC do they need to meet any other requirements?

My kids don't attend scripture but I have enough concerns about one of the teachers that I'm considering reporting anyway.

Nope. No other requirements.
Often a teacher is present to assist with supervision and behaviour management

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

If it’s Anglican scripture they should have passed a training course( through kidzworks) and have ongoing mentoring. Would be different depending on what denomination/religion they are. No harm asking at the school I guess?

#4 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostJosé, on 21 February 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

Nope. No other requirements.
Often a teacher is present to assist with supervision and behaviour management

I think only non scripture has a teacher in the room at our school.

Thanks Luke's mummu. I will follow up with school.

Edited by Mrs Zee, 21 February 2020 - 05:54 PM.

#5 lizzzard

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

What kind of concerns?

#6 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 21 February 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

What kind of concerns?

Some pretty foul posts about women as sexual objects on his personal FB page. I don't know him but his profile is public.

Edited by Mrs Zee, 21 February 2020 - 06:08 PM.

#7 luke's mummu

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

I know with Anglican scripture a few years ago, they were really big on having ongoing mentoring/training of the persons ability to teach.  I had a friend who was a little bit insulted by all the ongoing monitoring when she’d taught scripture for about 10 years

Edited by luke's mummu, 21 February 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#8 lizzzard

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

How bizarre- seems very strange for a scripture teacher!!

#9 luke's mummu

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

View PostMrs Zee, on 21 February 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Some pretty foul posts about women as sexual objects on his personal FB page. I don't know him but his profile is public.

Yikes! How dumb can you get?

#10 Mrs Zee

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

It's very unprofessional at the least

#11 lozoodle

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

Not sure, but you'd assume they'd need their working with children check. I have friends that run ethics and they have to jump through a few hoops!

Side note I fkn hate scripture in public schools. total waste of actual learning time!

#12 Mrs Zee

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:23 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 22 February 2020 - 12:44 AM, said:

Not sure, but you'd assume they'd need their working with children check. I have friends that run ethics and they have to jump through a few hoops!

Side note I fkn hate scripture in public schools. total waste of actual learning time!

I do too! It makes me so angry that my kids are sitting in a room colouring I  each week while the others attend scripture.

One year the principal told them to tell their parents that they wanted to do scripture so their supervising teacher got a break. 😠

#13 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:33 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 21 February 2020 - 06:10 PM, said:

How bizarre- seems very strange for a scripture teacher!!

Growing up in an evangelical church the people who taught scripture would be the handful of people I would want my kids to have nothing to do with.

Often they didn’t have the skills to succeed in employment or personal relationships and the idea of ‘helping’, ‘service’,  power, being seen as someone to be looked up to and being needed attracted people who weren’t getting that elsewhere in life.

There is a place for everyone in society, but not a place for those people to teach scripture. Unfortunately they’re not weeded out in the way they should be IMO.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

None of our grandchildren have it now in their school but when I was on School Council people approached us because the felt it was needed, generally religious parents of students.
They were interviewed, police checked and required 3 references.
Several did not get the job.

That guy is a fool.

#15 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

View PostMrs Zee, on 21 February 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Wow. Just wow. I would certainly be bringing it to someone's attention.

#16 rob^2

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

This website details the requirements for being a SRE (Special Religious Education) teacher for NSW.

https://whysre.com.a...e/sre-teachers/

#17 lizzzard

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 22 February 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

Growing up in an evangelical church the people who taught scripture would be the handful of people I would want my kids to have nothing to do with.

Often they didn’t have the skills to succeed in employment or personal relationships and the idea of ‘helping’, ‘service’,  power, being seen as someone to be looked up to and being needed attracted people who weren’t getting that elsewhere in life.

There is a place for everyone in society, but not a place for those people to teach scripture. Unfortunately they’re not weeded out in the way they should be IMO.
I can imagine what you’re describing. It’s quite different to my experience - I went to public schools and only had traditional scripture options- Anglican, Catholic, Muslim, maybe Uniting? The scripture teachers always seemed to be older retired ladies. More recently at churches I’ve attended (Anglican) it now seems like quite an involved process and mostly still the older ladies or wives of the ministers/assistant ministers who are willing to do it. The evangelical community is an “interesting” world....

Edited by lizzzard, 22 February 2020 - 09:41 AM.

#18 AnythingGoes

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:48 AM

I'm so glad I live in Victoria and we don't have this allowed in public schools!!

#19 Grrrumbles

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

Year 5 we had a minister for Scripture. He walked into the room opened his bible, read from it for the allotted time and then walked out again. No interaction with the children at all, it was quiet comical.

The other years we had women from a range of churches, some stories, some singing maybe some colouring. In the 80s everyone did it but it was in your class group no denominations. I remember in the whole school there was maybe 5 or so kids that went to the library instead and none of my friends.

It must have been quite the call to action for local churches as every primary class required its own scripture teacher and it was on at the same time so no one could double up.

So glad it is not offered in my children’s schools.

#20 Mrs Zee

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:01 AM

View Postrob^2, on 22 February 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

This website details the requirements for being a SRE (Special Religious Education) teacher for NSW.

https://whysre.com.a...e/sre-teachers/

Thanks.

#21 Mrs Zee

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

Actually I was just reminded of the disaster that was RE in high school. It was a once a term thing and the leader made two of my closest friends cry in one session.

One for telling her her brother who had just come out would go to hell.

The other was distraught after being told her dog was incapable of loving her because only God can love us.

#22 Jersey Caramel

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

Is it a common name? Is it definitely the scripture volunteer?

Definitely worth flagging with the school.  As far as I can tell in NSW, they are always very short of volunteers so I imagine they'd be taking all comers. I am not a fan.

#23 Mrs Zee

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

View PostJersey Caramel, on 22 February 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

Is it a common name? Is it definitely the scripture volunteer?

Definitely worth flagging with the school.  As far as I can tell in NSW, they are always very short of volunteers so I imagine they'd be taking all comers. I am not a fan.

His profile pic is of him in a church.

It's a very small town, so everyone there would know him and his latest gross comment was on a community page.  

Volunteers would be hard to find too.

#24 Lost_In_Australia

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

I was an ethics teacher for 2 years. I had to present a WWCC, police check and have a full day of training face to face and do an online course.

The scripture teacher were just volunteers from the local churches who only had to present a WWCC. And that's it. They could then say whatever they wanted in class.

#25 **Xena**

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

I'm so glad we don't have scripture here anymore. I myself has a horrible experience with a scripture teacher as a child before they got rid of it in public schools here. I would definitely take your concerns up with the Principal! Why there is still scripture in any public school I'll never know!

Edited by **Xena**, 22 February 2020 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.