large 7 seater sub suggestions pls!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mary S

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

We would like to buy a 7 seater, particularly suv. We will mainly use it as a 5 seater, except when we pick up our grandparents or go on a once a year holiday!

We tried the Santa fe today. in the second row, we couldn't fit the babysit and booster in with room for child number 3! The Nissan pathfinder seemed very heavy and not so nice to drive. the Skokda Kodiac bit small.... anyone have any suggestions how they fit 3 kids under 10?

recommendations pls!

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

Peugeot 5008 SUV - middle row in 3 x45cm seats so each child has their own room.

#3 Mary S

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

yes we saw that one and thought it looked great. Do you know if there is room in the 3rd row? We had a look at it without the kids - unexpected - so not sure if their legs will fit!

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

Leg room for third row is adjustable - you can move the 2nd row forward to give more room to third row.

I have 10/12/14yo now.

Previously we had a Citroen Picasso which was a vry similar setup.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

Kia sorrento - my BIL has one & they fit 3 across in the middle row.

#6 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Its a people mover, not SUV sorry, but we have a 2017 kia carnial and LOVE IT. DH was completely against a people mover but he loves it now. It has amazing versatility and apart from some less than appealing beige interior, it's a nice looking car.

The back seat can fold down, or it is a 1/2 split. It can fit 4 car seats and you can remove the middle seat in the middle row to creat an aisle and make it simpler to get to the back. We have permanently removed the centre seat because we have a car seat either side and cannot fold them forward to get behind like you would usually get into a third row.

Plus there is PLENTY of room in the boot. I fit heaps in  even when the back seat row is up.

9/10 would buy again.

#7 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

Whats your budget?  Ford Territory, Toyota Kluger, Mazda CX9 or CX8.  Or some of the 4wd based ones, Pajero sport, Toyota Fortuner, Isuzu Mux.

#8 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

Mazda CX-9 hands down.
Mine was recently written off and I tested a couple of others but I’m getting another CX-9.

#9 rosie28

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:28 PM

We have a Volvo XC90, a capsule and two car seats (not boosters, so they’re huge) in the middle row. We’ve used the back row quite a bit to take our parents or siblings places and there’s still boot space for a pram and a load of shopping. We test drove the same size Mazda and Audi, but the Volvo was so much nicer to drive. We also have the Audi SQ5 and I love that too, the Volvo does seem bigger but doesn’t drive like a truck.

Edited by rosie28, 23 February 2020 - 03:07 AM.

#10 dadwasathome

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:45 PM

PrincessPeach, on 22 February 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

Kia sorrento - my BIL has one & they fit 3 across in the middle row.

The Kia is a twin of the Hyundai which the OP found too small.

#11 marley*and*me

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

We have a discovery and the third row is a real 3rd row.  Full size seats and leg room.

A lot of 7 seaters are pretend.  I am currently driving a Mitsubishi Outlander that claims to be a 7 seater but no one could fit in the third row as you can’t fit car seats and once they don’t need seats they are too big.

So really it depends on your budget.

#12 Claudia Jean

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:33 PM

I am looking for a large SUV, the ones I have found with a decent third row in my price bracket are the kluger and acadia. I'm hoping to get a good price in the next few weeks on the holden otherwise I'll go kluger.

#13 gracie1978

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

cinnamonnutmeg, on 22 February 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

Its a people mover, not SUV sorry, but we have a 2017 kia carnial and LOVE IT. DH was completely against a people mover but he loves it now. It has amazing versatility and apart from some less than appealing beige interior, it's a nice looking car.

The back seat can fold down, or it is a 1/2 split. It can fit 4 car seats and you can remove the middle seat in the middle row to creat an aisle and make it simpler to get to the back. We have permanently removed the centre seat because we have a car seat either side and cannot fold them forward to get behind like you would usually get into a third row.

Plus there is PLENTY of room in the boot. I fit heaps in  even when the back seat row is up.

9/10 would buy again.

That sounds exactly like what I need to buy.
Have twin babies and a 5yo
Removing the middle seat in the middle row sounds like a clever idea!

#14 Bugster

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:44 PM

We had a Kia Sorrento with 4 kids and loved it, I fit in the 3rd row (I am not short) I could get 3 car seats across the middle row plus boosters in 3 rd row easily and it drove beautifully.

#15 mm1981

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:57 AM

Is there any reason you need an SUV?

We previously had SUV but recently upgraded to a minivan. Despite saying that I would never drive a minivan, I love it. So much space, full size seats and not having to get kids in and out the rear row is a bonus....

#16 Bereckii

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

Another vote for Kia Sorrento.

#17 Mary S

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

thanks so much for the feedback everyone! It is rather frustrating trying to find one to fit all the big car seats in!
We are trying to keep it in the $45k area, hoping to get a demo :)
We tried the cx8, I understand the cx9 is bigger. We will try that one too. Good to hear the Peaugot will be roomy enough in the back. It is true, we are finding some that say they are 7 seaters aren't really 7 seaters!
Turns out I might need to get a new baby seat - which will have an iSo fix, so maybe that will make the seat a little more narrow!
:)

#18 Bereckii

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:40 AM

I think it's definitely worth looking at your car seats and considering whether getting new car seats might widen your options wrt the car itself.

3 new car seats would be costly of course.

But you might save money if narrower car seats mean other (possibly less expensive) cars would work for you.

#19 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

marley*and*me, on 22 February 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

A lot of 7 seaters are pretend.  I am currently driving a Mitsubishi Outlander that claims to be a 7 seater but no one could fit in the third row as you can’t fit car seats and once they don’t need seats they are too big.

I agree we have a friend with the outlander and its a great car but our 3 kids wouldn't fit across comfortably.  Mind you DH is really tall so that probably affects it too.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:51 AM

We recently hired a seven seater Toyota Prado while on holiday, which we all loved. There’s limited luggage space with the third row of seats in action, though.

#21 Hands Up

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

We bought a discovery secondhand (we never buy new cars). The sixth and seventh seats fit adults which is great when you have car seats you don’t want to reinstall. It also fits three car seats across comfortably.

#22 Lallalla

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

We found the Kia Sorrento a bit small.

We have the Holden Acadia, which I guess they won’t be making much longer, but it is great and the back row has anchor points too.

The others 7 seater SUVs we tried that were big enough included the Mazda CX-9 which we also really really liked and also has back row anchor point/s and the Toyota Kluger, which a lot of people really like

#23 mm1981

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

You mentioned that you were 9nly planning to use the 7 seater for a 9nce a year family holiday?

With any SUV I dont imagine you would have any hope of fitting in 7 people PLUS luggage?

#24 tinselfoil hat

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

View PostMary S, on 23 February 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Turns out I might need to get a new baby seat - which will have an iSo fix, so maybe that will make the seat a little more narrow!
:)

If you don’t use isofix you might find it a bit roomier, because of the ability to slightly offset seats. We have the britax graphene which is brilliant because of the self locking seat belt. With the self locking mechanism, the installation with a seatbelt is no more difficult than isofix.

#25 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Peugeot with 3x 45cm seats in middle row enables even the middle seat to be used for ISOFIX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.