Finding a good breeder

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzie1

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

We’ve been trying to adopt a rescue dog for nearly 6 months with no luck. After the kids being in tears this morning yet again because we went to meet a dog which turned out to be not right for our family, we are thinking we will give up and buy one instead.

How do we go about finding a dog which comes from a reputable breeder? Not sure on breed yet, but we will be looking for a dog under 20kg.

#2 SummerStar

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I find once you know the breed you're after, check dogzonline for some breeders. And then I join some Facebook groups that are local based on the breed and get an idea from other owners and buyers (not just breeders) who's good and who to be wary of. Once I narrow it down I can then start asking the chosen breeders some questions and express interest etc and go from there.

With the internet and social media these days researching is much easier.

#3 just roses

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

I’d first narrow down on the breed first - or a shortlist of two or three breeds - then join a fb page for each. I did this with three breeds and learned so much! The breed I thought would be perfect turned out to have some tendencies that I wouldn’t have know about without being exposed to the real life experiences of owners. Then look for a good breeder on dogzonline.

#4 Mozzie1

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

Thanks so much.

#5 quartz85

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

Go to a dog show. Walk around, talk to the exhibitors. Sydney royal will be coming up if you're local to there. But they won't have all breeds on every day. You could also ask who has an adult dog, rather than puppies for sale of that is what you are looking for. Sometimes they would like to rehome.

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

Havanese ! I know a gorgeous little girl currently available who is the litter mate of my fella I am getting next month .

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

The breeder is the top one on the page . The puppy available is the little one in the avatar pic . There is aninr3nsive questionaire you need to fill out which is only expected from a good breeder .
damm it the link is not working .

Edited by Oriental lily, 23 February 2020 - 05:23 PM.

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

https://www.dogzonli...es/havanese.asp

got it .

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:18 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 23 February 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

Holy moley that is a cute puppy!

#10 Mozzie1

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 23 February 2020 - 05:24 PM, said:

Thanks, very cute but a bit smaller than we were thinking.

#11 just roses

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

Havanese are so delightful! It was our runner-up breed and couldn't fault them. We went with whippet in the end because they're a bit lower maintenance and big enough to really run around with.

#12 just roses

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

OP, would you consider a whippet? They are so much fun, so very affectionate, super easy and low maintenance. Honestly, I've read the 'what pet should I get' thread and our whippet is less work than the hermit crabs, chickens, guinea pigs and rabbits...

#13 kadoodle

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

A friend of mine has a couple of Italian greyhounds. They’re like miniature greyhounds, almost handbag size, and basically cuddle and sleep.

#14 *Spikey*

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

Lagotto Romano - a slightly larger dog, but still not a big dog.

#15 Mozzie1

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone. Through a FB group I found a breeder with some Lab puppies, met both Mum and Dad and saw where they were living (a beautiful small farm). I’ve put a deposit on one.

I know Labs are a bit more work than some of the other breeds mentioned, but we are an active family with a decent backyard and I’m confident we are ready for her :)

#16 Etcetera

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

It was suggested here that we got to a dog show as we weren't sure what breed we wanted, though we had narrowed it down a bit.
It was worth it - there happened to be a lady there who had puppies of one of our shortlisted breeds and the kids got to cuddle the and absolutely fell in love.

From there we looked at dogzonline and also joined the breed groups of FB. We now have a gorgeous cocker spaniel who just turned 1 and even meet up with the cocker group for dog play dates!

#17 *Spikey*

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

Mozzie, Labs are more than 20kg, but are awesome dogs.

They are very clever, so can be trying up until 2yo (think furry teenager). A  year at an obedience club is the best investment you can make for a lab, and crate training.

#18 kadoodle

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:24 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 25 February 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

They are very clever, so can be trying up until 2yo (think furry teenager). A  year at an obedience club is the best investment you can make for a lab, and crate training.

I knew one who could unbolt the shed door to get to the kibble bin. Very smart and constantly hungry! I think the only thing she didn’t eat was lemons.

#19 Mozzie1

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 25 February 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

Thanks, yeah I know she will be bigger but I thought Mum was a manageable size when I met them. We plan to both Crate train and do puppy school too, but thanks so much for the tips. I’m sure I’ll become a regular on this forum.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

Aawww my Labrador is the families ‘ comfort blanket’ the sweetest my loving soul I have ever met . We all adore him .we were incredibly lucky in that our boy missed the crazy teen faze . I think it was because he was glued to my side pretty much constantly ( brought him to work with me ect ) I think he has not been alone more than five hours in a row his entire life . Helps with a big family ..

Labradors need their people . Inside and in the thick of it constantly . Constant incidental training .

Then they are happy .

but their appetite...
it’s epic! My boy could do with losing some weight even though his meals are getting smaller and smaller! It’s the foraging from the younger kids . Constant sneaking a bite here and a snack there . So hard to mange .

their begging is slow shameless !

fantastic family dogs though l great choice .

#21 BeachesBaby

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

Agreed with the above suggestions to first narrow down dog breeds. We have two frenchies, one who we brought with us when we moved from the US, and one who we got here. We knew we wanted another French Bulldog, so we googled French Bulldog club of Australia, and there is a breed specific club that registers breeders who operate within the ethical and breed standards (which can be annoying about things like colour, but are intended to maintain the health of the breed). That way you know you’re working with someone who’s already passed a high standard.

I would strongly recommend against buying from a Facebook post unless the post is by an established breeder, because most breeders have wait lists and aren’t actively soliciting once the pups are born, the litters are spoken for before they’re even born. Additionally the breeder should ask you a bunch of questions, to establish your suitability as someone to take care of one of their puppies. It might feel invasive but it’s also the mark of a breeder who really cares about where their dogs end up, and who has done the work to establish healthy, strong breeding lines. Good luck, and I hope you find a great pup for your family soon!

Also as an FYI if you’re not set on a very young puppy, lots of breeders hold onto a puppy or two from each litter to see if they’ll become a suitable show dog, and a lot of them end up not being suitable to show, and are available from about 9-12 months which means that most of the puppy stage is over, they’ll be house trained and will have basic training commands too. These are some of the loveliest dogs around, just not 100% show standard which I know I don’t care at all about for my pets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.