Note to Teacher (Update post #44)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

DD has been threatened with detention because she *hadn't done* her homework. She had actually done it, but was unable to print it because our internet went down so that she couldn't retrieve the document from Google docs. She told the teacher but to he wouldn't accept that. He could have looked to see the document and creation/revision dates.

I'm sure he's heard excuses before, but this is genuine - and our internet is still down, I've had to learn how to hotspot with my phone. It is expected to be down until 6 March(!)

I wanted to let the teacher know this was beyond her control, how should I word this?

Edited by qak, 11 March 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

Dear teacher,

DD has completed her homework but due to an internet issue, that is ongoing, she has been unable to print it.

We can organise for it to be emailed to you but this may take some time.

As this issue is beyond our control, I would appreciate if you refrained from issuing DD a detention.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Qak

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 23 February 2020 - 03:18 PM.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

Why on earth should she need to print it? She should be able to log on at school and share the Google Doc with the teacher.

So that's what I'd write.

Dear Teacher,

DD has completed required homework on x date and shared it with you on x date, at x time.

I do not give permission for any detention to be issued regarding this homework assignment.

Regards,
qak

#4 BornToLove

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Dear Mr Smith,

I understand there was a disagreement on Friday regarding DD’s homework. I want to clarify that DD did not have her completed homework with her on Friday because our home internet was down and was unable to access the file from the cloud.

According to our service provider, our home internet service will be unavailable until DATE.

Due to the length of time we will be without home internet, I would like to discuss with you alternate arrangements for DD to complete her homework assignments offline. Please reach me on XXXX at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
qak

#5 seayork2002

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

For next time can she use the printers in the library?

#6 qak

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 23 February 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

Why on earth should she need to print it?

That's what I thought - it's a title page, FGS.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will do a blend of them I think.

#7 qak

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 23 February 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

For next time can she use the printers in the library?

They still haven't been issued with their ID cards so can't print yet! She knows that's an option for next time ...

#8 Demera

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

I'm kinda with the teacher.  It's a problem solving opportunity. There are other ways..... eg hotspot to phone, go to the library (public library), use a friend or neighbour's internet, use public WIFI, etc etc.

#9 JRA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

What year?  I can understand your reaction, but I can only imagine how many times a day teachers hear excuses.  I am more surprised the teachers wanted a printed copy

Did she email the teacher the document ? Or just tell him she had done it.

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostDemera, on 23 February 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

I'm kinda with the teacher.  It's a problem solving opportunity. There are other ways..... eg hotspot to phone, go to the library (public library), use a friend or neighbour's internet, use public WIFI, etc etc.
While I get that  - why wasn't he verifying the document in Google Docs? Why was the student being asked for a printed version when a digital one, to which he should already have access, is available?

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostDemera, on 23 February 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Sure but the kid needs a chance to be able to try and even then those options aren’t available to everyone.

And as pointed out already the teachers can access the google docs of students, that’s all that needed to happen to confirm it was done.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 23 February 2020 - 04:23 PM.

#12 José

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

While I get that  - why wasn't he verifying the document in Google Docs? Why was the student being asked for a printed version when a digital one, to which he should already have access, is available?

Did a printed copy need to go in a book ?
I'm wondering the age of the student.

#13 lizzzard

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Meh, DD13 has had several detentions this year over homework 'issues' despite being very, very diligent. I only know because the school sends a weekly log of awards, detentions, and other comms. When I ask her about it she usually has some excuse or other. I never step in - sure, it might not be fair but eventually she'll learn how to manage such 'misunderstandings' better so they don't happen.

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

View PostJosé, on 23 February 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

Did a printed copy need to go in a book ?
I'm wondering the age of the student.
ID card mentioned for library printing indicates high school.

View Postlizzzard, on 23 February 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Meh, DD13 has had several detentions this year over homework 'issues' despite being very, very diligent. I only know because the school sends a weekly log of awards, detentions, and other comms. When I ask her about it she usually has some excuse or other. I never step in - sure, it might not be fair but eventually she'll learn how to manage such 'misunderstandings' better so they don't happen.
And the student will learn by ... osmosis? Repeatedly being detained and not being able to communicate effectively?

We're in about Week 4 of the year - still an appropriate time for a parent to be modelling communication with the teacher.

#15 .Jerry.

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

I do not give permission for any detention to be issued regarding this homework assignment.

This is not a good approach in my opinion.  Technically the school doesn't need permission to give detention.  It's part of the education act in my state.

I would write a note detailing the reasons that your daughter didn't do the homework fully.
It's then up to the teacher whether or not they give an extension or assist them to find a solution.

A detention isn't the end of the world.

​PS, I hate having to print things out.  We don't have a printer at home.

#16 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 23 February 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Several detentions this year?

Its like week 3 or 4?

Doesn’t that concern you at all?

#17 lizzzard

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:03 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 23 February 2020 - 04:56 PM, said:

Several detentions this year?

Its like week 3 or 4?

Doesn’t that concern you at all?

She's also had several merits for outstanding behaviour and academics (following on from late last year) so in terms of her overall attitude or progress, not really.

The school is pretty strict, which I support. I think she probably needs to listen better and/or communicate with her teacher if there are problems getting in the way of her delivering what's required. But she will learn. Detentions aren't the end of the world - I see them as a way to focus kid's attention.

#18 José

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

View Post.Jerry., on 23 February 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

This is not a good approach in my opinion.  Technically the school doesn't need permission to give detention.  It's part of the education act in my state.

I would write a note detailing the reasons that your daughter didn't do the homework fully.
It's then up to the teacher whether or not they give an extension or assist them to find a solution.

A detention isn't the end of the world.

​PS, I hate having to print things out.  We don't have a printer at home.

Yes, i agree.
The 'i do not give permission ' sounds a bit adversarial. Not sure it helps build a positive and constructive home- school relationship.

#19 lmh83

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

If it is a title page, I am assuming it is to go in her book. If she couldn’t print, she should have taken a note in on the day it was due. High school teachers tend to be suspicious about excuses from teenagers.
With regard to the teacher simply checking the google doc - I can only see a google doc a student has done if it was something I set them in the first place through google, it is located in a shared folder, or they share the file with me. Other than that, I can’t see a thing.

#20 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

What age is she? My response would depend on that.

#21 onetrick

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

Depending on the year level, sometimes I ask kids to stay back so we can chat at lunch about these problem solving strategies that you are all mentioning... generally as a 'keep back those who havent handed in assignment' then ask at the start who has a legitimate reason and chat to them first. Takes a minute or two out of lunch (rather than a minute or two per student- and when you add in other students interrupting the story/ needing your attention, it is usually more like 10 mins in a junior high school class... love teaching year 7, but this stuff is hard to explain unless you have been in a classroom as it seems so dramatic!), and then problems are solved. And those who havent started use the time to work on the assignment.
If the detention literally consisted of sitting in silence for half of lunch, I'd have an issue with it, but if it was time out of class to deal with the issue, then it's a good use of time IMO?

#22 Freddie'sMum

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:36 PM

With regards to the power outage, we have whole suburbs without power including the local high school, shops, library etc.  So some may view it as a "problem solving" issue, I personally don't agree with that esp if we are talking about year 7 kids.

Our State can't guarantee power. I don't see why new year 7 kids should wear that, plus the student in question has completed the homework and the teacher can check / verify that.

#23 liveworkplay

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:50 PM

What grade?

In primary school I told each of my kids teachers at the beginning of the rule I did not believe in homework, there was no evidence for its benefit and unless they were not finishing their set class work they I would not be monitoring them completing it and they were not to be punished because of it.

In high school I would leave it to my child but surely there is an alternative way to submit it?

#24 Lees75

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

At my kids’ high school if there is a legitimate excuse, like a printing issue, the kids would be excused from an academic detention, provided they had a note in their diary on the due date, not after.

#25 qak

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:53 PM

She's started in Yr 7 this year.

And I had to figure out the hotspot thing myself!

I'd never done it before either - it took me a while to work out the laptop and the printer needed to both be on the same hotspot, I don't really understand why, if the network is OK, it's just the internet that's not working.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.