HS Parent Teacher

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 EPZ

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:46 AM

Do you book interviews with all your child's teachers or pick the ones you mainly want to see?  DS has 9 teachers in total - for year 7.

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:49 AM

I only go in high school if the teacher has requested.

But our teachers are in constant contact, so we know what’s going on.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 25 February 2020 - 07:52 AM.

#3 Mrs Claus

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

We do core subjects only 7-10 then all subjects for VCE

#4 blimkybill

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I used to go and see the home group teacher plus the main academic subjects or the subjects they were really interested in. I would have had zero contact with my kids teachers if I didn't go, I never had any contact outside those appointments.

#5 EPZ

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

I am definitely going.

This is the first set of parent teacher interviews and he is new to HS so I do want to meet with his teachers. If there was a drastic problem, I would know by now but that isn't the reason I am going.

To see he is settling in well, he is on the right track with revision work, if they have any suggestions.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:47 AM

when the time comes for DS12 we will go but I think ours is mid year

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

I only see on request these days. Aside from the fact that I don’t find them particularly useful, I have three kids in high school...it would be physically impossible to see all teachers on parent-teacher night.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 25 February 2020 - 08:54 AM.

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

I found them particularly unenlightening and stopped going quite some years ago. They call me if they need to.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 25 February 2020 - 12:35 PM.

#9 amdirel

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

I don't bother, unless I have concerns.

#10 2_little_boys

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

I did for DS12 (SA year 8) this year as its his first year in high school.  Only met with core subject teachers (1 for maths/science and another for English/Global studies).

I didnt meet with any of DS16's (year 12) teachers.

#11 my3cubs

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:47 AM

I went last year for DS as he is on a learning plan & I wanted to touch base with his core teachers..however I’ve since figured out they will email if there is an issue so won’t be going this year. DD is in year 7 (HS) & they do mentoring sessions to set goals etc, the parent can attend if need be, I won’t be as DD is fine.

#12 IamtheMumma

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:54 AM

I used too but didn't towards the end. If a teacher requested it, I'd be wondering why and go. I'd be very ticked if something was wrong and was only been told in the speed dating style 10 min interviews.

If we were new to the school, I probably would.

#13 annodam

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

I only did Core subjects but for Yrs 11 & 12, I saw & spoke to every Teacher.
But usually if there's an issue our School let's you know in advance, so in interviews nothing was a surprise or shock.

#14 Sentient Puddle

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

I did when DS was in year 7.  I found them mostly a waste of time.  It was like speed dating but with teachers who weren't that into you (or really had no time to say anything significant).  I found it much more helpful to email the teachers and make contact that way if there are issues.

#15 Mose

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

I had forgotten until my sister reminded me recently...

...I was a good student in high school.  High grades, good behaviour.

Grew up in a country town and most of the teachers knew my mother at least to say hello to, as she was a primary relief teacher.

Anyway, in year 9 or 10, I absolutely lost it with my parents over why they never went to parent teacher interviews, didn't they care enough to spend the time etc, etc.  In a way that is still very memorable for my sister many decades later.

My poor father then went to interviews with all of my teachers who had nothing interesting to say that wasn't already in the school report.

I am not sure what the moral of this story might be, other than if you don't go as a matter of course, consider whether it is worth explaining this decision to your kids!

#16 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

I try to see every teacher if time allows. However if time doesn't allow I sacrifice art (my kids don't enjoy art) and the compulsory language.

#17 liveworkplay

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

We go if requested (never lol) or if I want to see them over something specific thing. I know most of my kids teachers as I worked at the school previously, but for an important subject, if I didn't know the teachers, I would go see them. Most of  our problem solving at our school is via email and private appointments with teachers.

#18 Black Velvet

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Always go to all of them for both twin sons. I have no life.

#19 Ivy Ivy

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

I go to the academic subject teachers, not to art, music, PE, and to make them more useful I have learned to be extremely blunt:  e.g. What does my child need to improve on?
General catch-ups interest me not one bit and I wasted years of these in useless "s/he is going ok" chit chat until I started asking specific nitty-gritty questions.

Also - I take a piece of paper and write down what each teacher says, otherwise by the next week I've forgotten 90% of the suggestions/advice.  So while the teacher is talking, I'm writing.  Probably conveys an impression of seriousness over and above what it actually is (my poor overloaded memory).

Edited by Ivy Ivy, 25 February 2020 - 05:30 PM.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:32 PM

I have found fairly unequivocally that nitty gritty questions haven’t been appreciated by my kids’ teachers, especially when I call bull sh*t on evasive answers...

The best interviews are ‘here’s what’s going well, here’s what needs to improve’. Parents shouldn’t have to ask for that IMO.

#21 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

View PostSentient Puddle, on 25 February 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

I did when DS was in year 7.  I found them mostly a waste of time.  It was like speed dating but with teachers who weren't that into you (or really had no time to say anything significant).  I found it much more helpful to email the teachers and make contact that way if there are issues.

this..i went last year when ds was in yr 7 and it was indeed like speed dating, and ...i got about as much out of it as i would speed dating: nothing meaningful. our teachers were in constant contact throughout the year and i had much more productive communication one on one via email or phone. i don’t think i’ll bother this year.

#22 .Jerry.

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:00 PM

I only go to English, Maths, Science.  Would go to others if I felt DD was expressing concern or if teacher requested.

#23 JustBeige

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Yep, in Year 7 & 8, I went and saw them all. Year 9 and 10, only their core subjects. Year 11 and 12, again only core subjects.  By then though I had a really good relationship with 99 % of their teachers. I/we used to get filthy looks from other parents as we would always run over time.

#24 nom_de_plume

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

We are only going to maths, english and science for DS in year 7. That’s enough for me.

#25 Mollyksy

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

You could try my mums method. She found one of my teachers quite attractive (apparently he looked like Tom Selleck). That was the only teacher she was interested in seeing for parent teacher night in high school!

She was pretty out of her depth having left school herself in year 9 to work to support her family and what I took as disinterest was probably just clueless. I wished at the time she was more interested. But in retrospect I navigated a selective high school and university and all of it by myself and was probably better off for it. No expectations (I'm still the only one in my whole family with a degree) but also no help or suggestions.

I'm struggling to get the right balance with my son of being involved but also give him the freedom and autonomy to gain the skill and satisfaction himself.

And if all else fails, I'll book appointments with the attractive teachers!

Edited by Mollyksy, 25 February 2020 - 06:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.