Coronavirus preparation

• Please log in to reply
1438 replies to this topic

#1 ausfarmerswife

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:05 AM

Anyone started storing items incase of a Coronavirus outbreak?

What are you storing?

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:08 AM

Weapons ;)

#3 Mister Mum

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

Ammunition, lime and shovels.

#4 ECsMum

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

Lime and Tequila - so I have options.

#5 Jingleflea

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:21 AM

Not stockpiling anything.

7 or 8 cases in a country of 20 odd million people is not enough for me to panic buy anything.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

We don't have a car and I am lazy so we normally a years worth (some of it is no exaggeration) of cleaning/toiletry/soap/ shampoo/toothpaste etc. always anyway but I am starting to by a few tins of things (salmon, fruit, rice pudding) and may get some pasta and jars of sauce in, and juice/cereal

I may aim for 2 weeks worth but that is about it really

Oh I always have a cupboard full (really full) of the important things such as wine and chocolate and a ice cream (no help if no electricity I know) regardless of virus

I am not getting gas bottles as I don't want them around the place

#7 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

gin, wine, coffee and nurofen

#8 Freddie'sMum

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

The issue I am genuinely worried about is the meds that both DD#2 and I are on, and if there is a break in the supply chain.  I don't believe I can simply go to the chemist and buy multiple packets of those. In fact my own meds have a "do not supply before X date" sticker on them.

The other issue I am worried about is DD#2 eating.  She has such a limited diet, she would quite literally starve herself than eat a food that she doesn't currently eat.  If we were unable to buy her the foods she does eat, then we would be in trouble.

So I am buying extras of the foods she currently eats e.g. Weet-Bix.  I read a very good article in the newspaper yesterday, written by a professor (who specializes in viruses), saying we should prepare, but not panic.  That's what we are doing.

Edited by Freddie'sMum, 28 February 2020 - 08:33 AM.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 28 February 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

gin, wine, coffee and nurofen

I actually if I get quarantined with DS and DH I will need Gin and a lot of it

#10 MarciaB

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Not bothering with household products and food - I usually do a weekly shop - so can always go for a week without needing to go to the supermarket - in reality that could be stretched a few more days - so I am not going to change that.

But - given my experiences trying to chase down Dettol or antiseptic this week - I recommend keeping on top of that if you need (not going crazy just keeping a bottle of your antiseptic of choice available as it is flying off shelves around here).

I will also make sure we have an unopened packet of paracetemol and Nurofen before I shop and replenish if needed.

That is it really.

Edited to add - will also keep on top of dog dry food - eg I bought some today just as I opened the pack I have.  Normally I would wait until current pack is almost done - but I just want to keep ahead in case supply interruptions.

Edited by MarciaB, 28 February 2020 - 08:44 AM.

#11 South Coast

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:43 AM

I'm not so worried about the virus as such - more about the economic and social fallout.
The Dow Jones has totally crashed, supply chains broken, fear - its the perfect storm really.  I reckon this could be a bigger fallout that the GFC.

Anyway, stockpiling, no - worries about my job - yes.

#12 MarciaB

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostSouth Coast, on 28 February 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

I'm not so worried about the virus as such - more about the economic and social fallout.
The Dow Jones has totally crashed, supply chains broken, fear - its the perfect storm really.  I reckon this could be a bigger fallout that the GFC.

Anyway, stockpiling, no - worries about my job - yes.

OK - no it hasn't - it has dropped 10% - so a correction.  This is after a very long run - everyone is still ahead on where they were this time last year if they had invested.

Could it go down further?  Yes of course - and likely will - but it hasn't totally crashed.

#13 purpleduck

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

I'm more worried about supply chain issues and other people panic buying.

Luckily we don't have a lot of meds to worry about, but I'm sure there are plenty of things we mindlessly buy that will be impacted.

So yes, other than gin, which I will need to stock up on ;) we will be doing a decent shop in the next week or so which will include the a larger than usual number of non-perishable pantry items that we go through on a regular basis. (and cheap too eg pasta, rice, tinned veg etc)

Worst case scenario that I am thinking of is that one of my immediate family is sick and then it infects us all one after the other. We are a family of 5 and would be looking at a minimum of 4-6 weeks of illness/potential quarantine.

I do not have 4-6 weeks worth of food in my house. If nothing happens and supply chain isn't affected, then we just eat down the food as we get to it.

#14 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

View PostJingleflea, on 28 February 2020 - 08:21 AM, said:

Not stockpiling anything.

7 or 8 cases in a country of 20 odd million people is not enough for me to panic buy anything.

Same here, especially when we live in a town of barely 1500

#15 Ozquoll

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

I already have prepper tendencies so have a pretty good stockpile of food. I have bought a bit more UHT and powdered milk and bread flour though.

My real dilemma is chocolate - I can't stockpile it because if it is in the house I eat it immediately 🤫🤭! But imagine a two-to-four week quarantine without chocolate 😱

#16 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

I am going to get my eye check early and order my disposable contact lenses and just brought a big pack of contact lens solution.
I'll grab some extra groceries including long life milk, toilet paper and tissues this weekend.

I just was at Chemist Warehouse, and yes all the antiseptic, hand sanister and disinfectant was gone.

#17 chillipeppers

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

I have lots of pasta, rice, flour, powdered milk, canned veges and lentils, salt, sugar and toilet paper. I can’t think of anything else to add. Maybe canned tuna and other canned meats?

#18 lozoodle

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

Nope. I'm in camp life as usual.
I have a pantry that could probably keep us fed for a year anyway though.

#19 hills mum bec

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:09 AM

Like some PPs, I'm more concerned about supply chain issues rather than actually catching the disease.  DH & I had this conversation last night and have decided to just start getting a few extra items every shop.  Things like batteries, panadol, toilet paper, non perishable food (for us and for the pets).  We have also made sure that all our gas bottles are full (we don't have natural gas in our area, cooking & hot water are on bottled gas).

ETA - we have a lot of fruit trees on our property and are pretty self sufficient when it comes to fruit but we are going to buy a few packets of veggie seeds every shop too.

Edited by hills mum bec, 28 February 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#20 Melbs2010

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

I've bought up some extra non-perishable foods over the past week or so.  Mainly because my son has coeliac disease and supplies of some gluten free products can be scarce at the best of times.  Or require extra effort in that you can't just head down to 7-11 for gluten free bread normally.  If there's panic buying and supply chain issues in the next few weeks or month than I've got enough gluten free foods to fall back on should supermarket shelves be empty

#21 Sentient Puddle

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

I bought Baileys and wine Yesterday. Still have a litre of vodka unopened so stocks are good here!

#22 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

View PostSentient Puddle, on 28 February 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

I bought Baileys and wine Yesterday. Still have a litre of vodka unopened so stocks are good here!

yep...and our lemon tree is looking to yield a bumper crop soon, so that will take care of vitamin c and ward off scurvy....(and be good for the g & t’s)

#23 No Drama Please

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 28 February 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

My real dilemma is chocolate - I can't stockpile it because if it is in the house I eat it immediately 🤫🤭! But imagine a two-to-four week quarantine without chocolate 😱
Same! I’m thinking of buying boxes of chocolates when they on sale. I can tell myself they are presents for someone else so I’m not tempted to break into them. It’s that or get the aldi security box this week and let my non-chocolate eating DD choose the code :lol:

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

Nobody has caught COVID-19 in Australia from human to human contact. Those who caught it from OS have all recovered and trying to go about their lives.
I may be just an eternal optimist but I am nowhere near feeling the need to stockpile.

It might bite me later but I still am not that way inclined to start panic buying.
I do of course have the means to get food and other goods in if quarantined and I know not everyone has that ability.

#25 purpleduck

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

View Postchillipeppers, on 28 February 2020 - 09:01 AM, said:

I have lots of pasta, rice, flour, powdered milk, canned veges and lentils, salt, sugar and toilet paper. I can’t think of anything else to add. Maybe canned tuna and other canned meats?

Olive oil, cake soap for washing hands, deodorant, shampoo, laundry powder.....

Oh and toilet paper - we get ours from who gives a crap and they ship from China. So I'm ordering an extra box.

Edited by purpleduck, 28 February 2020 - 09:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.