Weighted Blankets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzy B

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:35 AM

Just hoping I could get some advice on where you got your weighted blanket from and feedback on it and if it worked? Im in the market for one thats not the size of the doona and not hot....one that she can sleep with on top of her usual doona without roasting?!! Many thanks....😊
Oh...and im in Vic.

Edited by Buzzy B, 29 February 2020 - 05:36 AM.

#2 SummerStar

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:51 AM

We got our daughters from catch of the day. It was $70 instead of many hundreds and is no different to a friend of ours who recommended it for her who did pay hundreds. She likes it, not sure of they work as such but I wouldn't pay a fortune it seems they took off and heaps of companies popped up to cash in.

#3 Charli73

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:11 AM

We bought one with my sons funding money and he didn’t like it. Said it was too heavy even though it was the right weight for his age.

If you can borrow one try that otherwise I have seen them for $40-$50 at spotlight, even ALDI had them as a special buy a little while ago..

#4 susie78

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:33 AM

I got my 12 yr old one at Spotlight. It’s a bit smaller than single bed size, think it cost about $70?? I agree with seeing if you can borrow one to trial first, they don’t work for everyone.

#5 Buzzy B

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:35 AM

Thanks ladies. Im willing to try anything. She walks around with a blanket half the time so its definately an option. Hadnt thought of spotlight! 👍

#6 Mose

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

I am also wondering about getting one, for myself.  I have terrible insomnia, which is much better if I have a reasonable weight on me - on warmer nights I spend the entire night putting doona on so I can get to sleep and then waking up to take it off, waiting til I am cold again to put it on again....

Will be stalking for anyone who might have used one and have feedback.

Am concerned it may not work for me and a lot of money...but if it does it would be life changing...

#7 BornToLove

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:55 AM

Mose, I have terrible insomnia and use a weighted blanket. I would say it helps in that my sleep is deeper and more restful. However, I still wake in the night and, if I’m in a bad episode of insomnia, can be up for hours.

I would speak to your doctor about your troubles sleeping if you need something effective. I was taking endep for a while for migraines and it was a game changer for my sleep. I’ve since come off of it, but considering going back on for the improved sleep aspect.

#8 IamOzgirl

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

Mode, I have one.

I sleep poorly due to anxiety.

Which manifest as either unable to fall asleep (brain won’t shut down) and 3am wake ups.

I got mine a year ago.

It have only started working this year.

Pp who said it’s too heavy. Get him to use it on the couch in the evening. I was the same when I first got mine. I can now sleep the whole night under it.

OP I got my on amazon it was about $100 and is a single.

#9 BusbyWilkes

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

How hot the blankets feel can depend upon the materials used. That is where the cost difference comes from - and whether they use Australian workers or are made overseas.

The spotlight ones (and probably ALDI too, but I haven’t checked them) come in set weights. The lightest available isn’t suitable for smaller children. Maximum weight of blanket  should be 10% of body weight.

It doesn’t work for everyone. It’s meeting certain specific sensory needs. If you/your child is calmed by firm hugs, likes lots of pillows/blankets on then iris more likely a weighted blanket will help. If you/your child avoids this sort of sensory input, chances are it will just irritate them!

A great local company (it’s not mine!) is

calmingmoments.com.au

I believe an EBer also has a business making weighted products.

It’s not these types of businesses that are jumping on the money making bandwagon. It’s the large spotlight/ALDI ones that are ripping off something that has been used for decades.

If cost is prohibitive, check out gumtree, marketplace etc. People who buy them and don’t find them useful often sell them on there in very good condition for about half the cost of new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.