DD 7 and orthodontics

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Charli73

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

My DD 7 went to dentist and it seems her back molar is not growing down straight and is impacting against the adjacent tooth.
We’ve been told we may need orthodontic session to discuss possible arch expander. Her eye teeth aren’t lining up either.

Has anyone’s child had this done? It’s supposed to reduce the need for braces later on but I’m thinking she will
Need braces regardless.

She’s only 7 I feel it’s early for orthodontics..

Can anyone help?

Edited by Charli73, 29 February 2020 - 09:17 PM.

#2 meohmy

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Yep, we were referred to the ortho right on 8 years and commenced treatment with a jaw expander pretty much straight away. 6 months full time, 3 months at night and such a massive difference. The teeth have then gone back to doing their thing and moving around as teeth fall out and natural growth happens (which is normal), they just now have the room to actually do it. High likelihood of braces later but we have hopefully avoided surgical removal of 6-8 teeth because they now have room.

I know of at least 3 others that started treatment in the year after mine.

#3 LucyGoose

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:35 PM

A lot of kids seem to get preventative treatment now.  I took my 8 and 9 year old daughters who have over crowding to the orthodontist and they didn’t recommend any early treatment for them.  We will go every 12 months for a check up though.  

#4 Crombek

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

We had our first ortho visit for ds8 in January. They want to give his eye teeth time to come in on top (just breaking through & still missing) & reassess in 8 months. Likely to need some work to create space though.

I work in schools & see kids with braces etc regularly from Gr 3 up nowadays.

#5 Charli73

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:41 AM

Ok well maybe it’s not as early as I thought..
Thanks for your replies

#6 susie78

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:04 AM

My son had an expander and partial braces for about 9 months when he had just turned 9. He had a narrow top palate and the ortho advised to do it early while the jaw was still moveable and before the bones fused mid teens. I too felt it he was young but the ortho took the time to explain why it was less complicated and traumatic to do it then rather than wait which would require fairly major surgery to correct.

#7 rainycat

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:40 AM

My daughter starting seeing the orth at 8 and has now started her twin expander plate at 10. She is supposed to wear it for 2 years and hopefully not need braces. She is a very little girl for her age and has managed well for the last 3 weeks. Bit of a drama this weekend with the bottom plate hurting her soft tissue. Will have to sort that this week.
I was really worried for her but she has been brilliant. It took her 3 nights to be able to leave it in all night and about a week to get the talking happening clearly. She has taken it in her stride, it has helped that friends have had a top plate.

#8 TheGreenSheep

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

We started ortho treatment at around 8-9, beginning with teeth removal to maintain the midline of the front teeth. DS had braces at 12 and is almost due to have them off!

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

2 of my children have had identical treatment with palate expanders. I think DD was 8 and DS2 was 10 when they started at the same time. DD has definitely had a better result, and may avoid braces. DS2 has had 2 baby teeth removed because even with the adjustment, they weren’t coming in correctly. I don’t know if he would have had a better result if he’d started earlier.

#10 Fizgig

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

My DD is also 7 and the dentist has said she will need to see and orthodontist between 8 and 10 to get an expander plate as she has a cross bite on one side and her front teeth don’t meet together. She said that a lot of the time the expander means that they don’t go on to need braces as the teeth have room to slot into place but I’m still anticipating it.

#11 Jane Jetson

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

When it became clear that the DDs had inherited the tiny jaw and big crooked, crowded teeth that run in my family, we took them to the ortho.

I thought it might be a bit early, but it looks like the expanding plate and partial brace they both had means that they can skip having perfectly healthy teeth ripped out to make room for the rest (as happened in my case and my sister's) or losing a bunch of them to decay like my mother and grandmother did (they didn't get braces at all though).

It doesn't appear to have reduced the overall cost, sadly. But DD1 is about to go into proper braces, and the estimated time they'll be on is a lot shorter than I expected, so there's that, at least.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

All 3 of my children have had arch expander plates with various teeth moving springs etc from about the age of 7-8yo. They have all gone on to have braces also. Their experiences with braces has been very straightforward though so I expect the plates helped given how complex their teeth and jaws are.

#13 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:11 AM

DD had a a couple expanded plates and a herpst appliance as her jaw was just too small for all her adult teeth.    She also had issues eating and would drool while chewing and quite badly while sleeping.

she started when she was 8-9 and was finished the treatment before high school.  She had braces for 9 months just to straighten a couple teeth on top.    Her whole face shape changed and she was very happy that she did it before high school

#14 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

Agree with the others. Two of  mine started with an expander at 8, the other was 9. My advice is be prepared to shop around though. Our orthodontist charges $2200 for an upper expander but I've heard of others charging a lot more. (She is cheaper for braces too-~$8000 whereas the other local one charges $10,000!)

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 01 March 2020 - 01:22 PM.

#15 CrankyM

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

I know several kids who have had to have similar around the same age. I fully expected one of mine to, but they have said to wait. So we review it every 6 months or so. Of course his molars are only just starting to move and he’s 9.5.

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 01 March 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

Our orthodontist charges $2200 for an upper expander but I've heard of others charging a lot more.

Ours charged $1300 for the expander and then $490 for the retainer afterwards. It seems like a bargain now!

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 01 March 2020 - 06:15 PM

DD 2 started at 7 with an expander then went onto braces for three years and this was 29 years ago :)

#18 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 01 March 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

Ours charged $1300 for the expander and then $490 for the retainer afterwards. It seems like a bargain now!
Lucky you!

The retainer was included in the $2200. In fact for my eldest braces to his top 6 teeth were included in the price  as the plate wasn't enough to do the job. His course of treatment took 4 years with appointments every 8 weeks so we did ok.

#19 Ivy Ivy

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:07 PM

Quite a number of girls in my daughter's school had upper expanders from year 3 or 4.  My understanding is they work best if done a year or 2 before menarche, and they make any future braces either less likely, or easier.

In my opinion it is worth sourcing Australian-trained dentists and orthodontists.  Levels of training and expertise, and error rates, and poor outcomes, of professionals trained in some external overseas sites, may not be what you are comfortable with.

Edited by Ivy Ivy, 01 March 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#20 Charli73

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:52 PM

So to update partial braces went on today to help the impacted molar tooth correct itself. She was so keen to choose colours now not so excited it feels sore and doesn’t want to eat.

Cost was $750 for full treatment with braces around 13yo once baby teeth have all gone

Edited by Charli73, 23 May 2020 - 10:19 PM.

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:37 AM

Late to the party - my original response is irrelevant with your update!

Edited by SeaPrincess, 23 May 2020 - 12:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.