COVID-19 $750 stimulus payment

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 Silverstreak

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:57 PM

Just found out about this now, eligible households will be paid after 31 March 2020.

https://10daily.com....avirus-20200311

Edited by Silverstreak, 12 March 2020 - 12:58 PM.

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:59 PM

good news, it’s a start, i guess. although i await the Murdoch press screeching from the front pages “Irresponsible!” like they did for Rudd’s stimulus package.

#3 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:00 PM

I was surprised carers allowance was included but not going to knock it back.

#4 Silverstreak

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 12 March 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

Me neither!

#5 kitkatswing

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

Would have been nice if it included everyone..

Whilst I am thankful not to be on any allowances. I still struggle with bills and day to day expenses working full time.

Edit - Includes those who get FTB, which I think I do... So maybe I will get it????

Edited by kitkatswing, 12 March 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#6 Light'ncheesy

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:12 PM

The fact sheet:

https://treasury.gov..._households.pdf

#7 Jane Jetson

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

View Postkitkatswing, on 12 March 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

Would have been nice if it included everyone..

It doesn't need to include everyone. Frankly, it shouldn't.

People like me who are on nice salaries in industries which are hopefully only tangentially affected, who earn too much to get FTB, don't need it compared to the poor buggers in casual work and who work in say, hospitality or tourism. DH is on contract so that might be interesting, but at least he's not still waiting tables and thus not getting shifts.

Frankly, those people are likely to need it regardless of whether they have kids. The payment's just for people receiving income support and concessions, right?

I'm almost pleasantly surprised given it's ScoMo and co that they didn't just give it to anyone earning in the 37c tax bracket and up.

I am as always wary of the usual sop to business handed out by this government rather than going straight to the more vulnerable worker.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

So if i havent done my tax yet, & subsequently qualify for family tax, then i dont get the payment?

That's going to make things interesting for a lot of people running small businesses.

#9 Lees75

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:29 PM

I changed my FTB payments a few months ago to be calculated at the end of the financial year. May or may not get any FTB, dependent on my business deductions. I wonder if those of us who claim at the end of the financial year will get it when we do our tax?

Does anyone have any info on the grants for small businesses?  It seems to read like it is for wage payments, which is great, but what about for sole traders?

I am a little concerned about the finances of my family if I can't work because of quarantine issues - self employed, community OT, single mum. Thankfully the kids are at high school, so I won't have child care concerns if schools gets closed.

#10 BECZ

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

At least they have restricted it to one payment, regardless of how many benefits your receive.

I remember last time we got around 4K. Some payments were per child and others were per family and some people got one for family assistance and others for other benefits that they were on etc.

We only had 2 kids at the time too and a friend who had 5 kids got over 8k.

We will get it again this time for family assistance and I will make an effort to spend it this time.  I have to admit that last time it went into savings.

I was talking to my mum about it and she and her partner are mostly self funded retirees.  She said, but we don’t need it!  She was surprised that there wasn’t some kind of scale. They only get about $50 per fortnight, but will still get the same amount as those fully reliant on the pension.  They can’t believe that they even qualify for any pension, but apparently it was done automatically.  They received a letter informing them of their entitlement.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

I've just looked up the specifics.

Like a lot of young people, my daughter gave up on her application for Newstart, which she would have received in part due to being low income from casual work. After five months of 'you didn't send us the requested documents', 'the documents were fuzzy' (they weren't), best one was 'you need to send us your details about your bank account in Afghanistan'.  Round and round it went until she gave up.  She's not alone.

Today's information says that if an application dated today is eventually approved, the applicant will receive the money.

Get your young people who qualify for newstart, and who have given up (and they are many) to apply today.

#12 CrankyM

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 12 March 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

Oh wow, we actually qualify for something. I'm actually surprised it is on there, I thought maybe it was a typo in the press release and they actually meant carer's payment as the two often get confused. I need to pay someone to pack up my dad's house and move everything for him, so I guess that's what it's going to be spent on.

#13 Dianalynch

Posted 12 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

I’m happy people on Newstart are getting a payment, even though it’s too little too late, and can only hope that one day soon the govt is decent enough to raise the rate and index it appropriately. Won’t hold my breath. Vote Labor!

#14 IamzFeralz

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:09 PM

So I think they want us to spend it so we can keep the economy afloat.

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for posting Silverstreak, without this thread I'd probably have assumed that people needed to qualify before the announcement.

Got my significantly underemployed (and no doubt not about to improve) adult daughter at the computer right now applying for Newstart.

Only problem is one of the documents she's been asked to upload is her last payslip (employer didn't give payslips) from the Employer who was responsible for her second (invalid) Robodebt, still unresolved.   From 2016.

Her current employer also doesn't provide payslips.  Illegal I know, but what do you do? Threaten to leave the job?  She hasn't paid any super for nearly two years either but that's another story.

#16 Ozquoll

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

View PostBECZ, on 12 March 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

I was talking to my mum about it and she and her partner are mostly self funded retirees.  She said, but we don’t need it!  She was surprised that there wasn’t some kind of scale. They only get about $50 per fortnight, but will still get the same amount as those fully reliant on the pension.  They can’t believe that they even qualify for any pension, but apparently it was done automatically.  They received a letter informing them of their entitlement.
There really should be a sliding scale 😡. I was surprised also that both pensioners in a couple receive $750 - I thought they would do something like $750 if you are a single pensioner, $1000 if you are a couple.

#17 dadwasathome

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:19 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 12 March 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

There really should be a sliding scale . I was surprised also that both pensioners in a couple receive $750 - I thought they would do something like $750 if you are a single pensioner, $1000 if you are a couple.

Pensioners are more likely to vote LNP than Newstart recipients.

#18 Ozquoll

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

There is that 🤨

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

View Postdadwasathome, on 12 March 2020 - 02:19 PM, said:

Pensioners are more likely to vote LNP than Newstart recipients.

I can't agree with that - people who qualify for the Age Pension are more likely to be Labor votors.  Self funding retirees are more likely to be LNP, me excluded of course.

#20 KACM

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:33 PM

At least they have restricted it to one payment, regardless of how many benefits your receive.

I remember last time we got around 4K. Some payments were per child and others were per family and some people got one for family assistance and others for other benefits that they were on etc.

We only had 2 kids at the time too and a friend who had 5 kids got over 8k.

We will get it again this time for family assistance and I will make an effort to spend it this time.  I have to admit that last time it went into savings.

It’s a stimulus payment, not a welfare payment. It’s simply designed to get more money out into the economy.

#21 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:33 PM

They'll be wanting to give it to people who are more likely to spend it. That means it doesn't need to target only those who are in dire straits financially. It's a stimulus measure not welfare.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

They can’t believe that they even qualify for any pension, but apparently it was done automatically.  They received a letter informing them of their entitlement.

Tell them to make a weekly booking at their local Chinese.

#23 Jane Jetson

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

Tigerfilly beat me to it!

Edited by Jane Jetson, 12 March 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#24 MrsMuzz82

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

I'm not getting anything from it but I'm fine with that. I'm really glad that they are implementing some form of sick pay for casual workers who wouldn't otherwise received any sick leave. They didn't give too many details about that in the article but to me that stood out as really important.

Everybody stay home! Now, I'll be going back into my bubble thank you very much

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

View Post**Tiger*Filly**, on 12 March 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

They'll be wanting to give it to people who are more likely to spend it. That means it doesn't need to target only those who are in dire straits financially. It's a stimulus measure not welfare.

but i can pretty much guarantee a large chunk of recipients will use it to pay down debt. put it on the credit card etc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.