Share your sleep training experience

6 replies to this topic

#1 sharkling

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

Hi all. I have a one year old whom I would like to "sleep train" because at the moment she is dependent on nursing to go to sleep. Even with nursing, she struggles quite a bit to fall asleep.

A couple of months ago I did try to sleep train her which basically involved letting her "cry it out". This is because I found that any form of comforting didn't seem to work and she became more agitated if I picked her up. It seemed to work and after a few nights of "crying it out", she seemed to fall asleep on her on more easily and slept through the night.

She would cry for a good 10-15 minutes (yes, heart wrenching) then falls asleep in an awkward facedown position - out of sheer tiredness I suppose. Also, her head would sometimes hit the side of the cot as she falls forwards while crying.

While the sleep training did seem to work, I was not consistent and didn't apply this to day naps. Then we went overseas and everything went back to square one.

Now that I would like to start sleep training again, I hope that some of you can share your sleep training experiences and what worked or did not work. I could use the same method but would like to see if I can make it easier for the little one. Thanks!

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:33 PM

Learn to distinguish between her different cries - anger, distress, tired etc. don’t leave a distressed child crying. If you want a book - Elizabeth Pantley is good.

#3 Apageintime

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:14 AM

I joined the beyond sleep training project on facebook and found them really super useful.

I read about bioloically normal infant sleep expectations and worked around those.

#4 Bigbaubles

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

Both of mine went to sleep schools at aged 6months and 9 months. We learnt so much and our girls got so much better at sleeping.

It's about reading signs and also recognising cries. Our eldest always had a tiny cry before bed. It always freaked us out because we thought she was upset, but it was just her getting her 'last bit of energy out'. (At 3 she still does this sometimes and actually tells us that she's fine) I now know what is a bit of a protest cry and what is a really upset cry, that she needs comforting.

Highly recommend residential sleep school programs, we had two great experiences.

#5 123Tree

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:04 AM

I went to sleep school without second when he was nine months. Best thing I ever did. We didn’t let them get distressed but kept our comforting to a shorter time frame. So pat for two minutes and leave. If still crying three minutes later go back in for two minutes sort of thing, increasing intervals. I couldn’t stand the thought of my son crying too long which didn’t happen.

My thoughts at the time going to sleep school is if they introduce something I didn’t like then it would be my choice whether or not to continue. Also if my son was distressed during our stay I could just pack up and leave. However it was a very supportive environment and I learnt a lot.

#6 rowd

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

My best advice with sleep training is to keep it super consistent and do it for every single sleep. For us, we did in room settling, but he was younger, and I don't know that would work for an older child. Now on the odd occasion where he won't settle, we do spaced soothing. We go in after 2 mins of crying, reassure him and lie him down, then 3 mins, then 4 mins and so on (have never actually gotten to 4 mins). We are also very strict with sleep cues (for us these are darkness, white noise, a sleeping bag and a song) and we use these with every single sleep and don't vary them. It means if we go places, we have to blackout the room and can't forget his white noise, but it also means he sleeps great right from the first nap on every holiday, or at other people's houses.

#7 Bigbaubles

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:04 AM

View Post123Tree, on 13 March 2020 - 10:04 AM, said:

My thoughts at the time going to sleep school is if they introduce something I didn’t like then it would be my choice whether or not to continue. Also if my son was distressed during our stay I could just pack up and leave. However it was a very supportive environment and I learnt a lot.

Yep, I second this.  

We had weight issues with one of mine which was also part of our stay as well and they tried to force us to give her puree. I refused, and I saw the paediatric dietitian the next day who agreed with us doing BLW. The nurses were fine.
It was the same with dummies. It was up to us whether we wanted to keep her dummies or not.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.