Jump to content
Are you going ahead with your child's birthday?
50 replies to this topic
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:22 PM
My DD handed out invites to her birthday in late April. A friend has said i should cancel asap amidst the COVID-19 crisis. What would you do?
I'm only expecting about 10 kids. I don't anticipate the play area of the cafe would be busy considering so many are avoiding this type of thing and she's at school with these kids anyway so hardly avoiding contact.
As I don't know all the parents I've given my number to them and if they rsvp I'll save the numbers in case i need to cancel. DD will be devasted if we cancel so I can afford to wait a couple more weeks at this stage and see.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:33 PM
I'd cancel now. It's only gonna be worse in a couple of weeks.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:33 PM
My DD is turning 9 at the end of April. We've are going to aim for a 9 and a half party.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:33 PM
We attended a birthday party this weekend, and have another one coming up. I would go if you invited us. The party giver had wipes, etc for extra hygiene and no blowing out the candles.
Where is it being held? It sounds like a play centre? Can you relocate to your home or a park?
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:36 PM
i’d probably go ahead, unless a number of parents expressed concerns.
we’ve had a 50th cancelled - but that was quite a big affair - 100 people or so.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:40 PM
Advice I have read says cancel indoor birthday parties and be cautious with outdoor parties.
I would not attend an indoor play centre, but I might attend a park party.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:41 PM
We’ve got a few coming up. They are all house parties with local kids though, like you said, while schools are still open they are spending every day together anyway. Once they close down the schools I think it will be a different story. I’d probably rethink the venue though TBH, it seems unlikely play centres etc will still be open in April.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:43 PM
Same problem here. My DS just handed out invitations to a laser tag party that we booked a month ago I'm going to check to see if the venue will let us reschedule as I imagine we'll have a number of parents who are nervous about attending.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:47 PM
At this stage I would continue as per normal but keep monitoring the situation, if the government decides to close schools etc then I would be cancelling the party. We are in uncharted territory and we just need to be vigilant about hygiene and monitor the situation closely.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:55 PM
I have an early April party booked for my 4 year old.
Not sure what to do...thinking I’ll leave it for another week and then make a decision.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:08 PM
Play area in a café would be a no from me - as a parent I'd be reluctant to send my kid. I'd relocate to a playground or park if you can.
DS has a laser tag party coming up next weekend and the mother has indicated she is likely to reschedule.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:14 PM
We’ve got 3 friends coming this weekend.
Still on at this point. Because they all go to school together, share desks and handballs and laptops. Have stated that if school shuts, it will be postponed.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:21 PM
I’d move it outdoors.
We have a kids party next weekend at a large park. We will be going.
We also have a baby shower coming up. It’s in small house. Not so sure about that one. I may leave the kids at home.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:26 PM
We won't be having a party for my daugher's 3rd birthday in a couple of weeks. We attended a friend's 3rd birthday yesterday, and that will have to suffice. We'll just have a cake and maybe we'll go do some sort of outdoor activity that doesn't involve mixing with other people. It's a shame because she's just at the age where she loves parties.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:27 PM
Yes DD was asking what will happen with her birthday this year - late April date. I said it's one she will remember!
Hopefully not bad memories
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:29 PM
My DD has her birthday party, at home, scheduled for this weekend. I have held off buying food etc and I will make a call on Friday after COAG meeting. If school is still on I will go ahead with party. If school is cancelled we will cancel the party.
Things are moving so quickly and everyone is very understanding of that. Now to manage DD's expectations...she is turning 5 so it is such a special one
Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:34 PM
My daughter was having a party at Hoyts mid-April, which we have decided to postpone. She has been very understanding.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:03 PM
We went to a party last weekend and will go to one this weekend and the one after. 2 x play centres 1 at their home.
They're all school friends and in close contact anyway - so another few hours I don't think will make a difference.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:11 PM
DD’s birthday is next weekend. Her big party at a large venue has become a small party at our place. DD is disappointed, but understands and is happy to at least have a little celebration
ETA - other parents are understanding and all Friends are still coming.
Edited by BornToLove, 16 March 2020 - 03:11 PM.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:46 PM
Why does the friend think you need to cancel ASAP? Surely if the party is in 5-6 weeks then you can wait and decide at the start of next month.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:53 PM
Well my birthday party is this Saturday and I'm about to cancel that
And DD's birthday is a few weeks later. I haven't had the heart to tell her that she won't be getting a party in April. I like a PP's approach of planning a 9.5 party.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:28 PM
Was just about to hand invites out for a mid April party but decided to cancel yesyerday. She’s only turning 4 but is onto parties because of her older, and was looking forward to having her first party. She will be disappointed but I am worried about no one turning up which would be worse (kindy and ELC is tricky because I don’t know the parents). Hopefully we can go to build a bear instead with her sister and cousin.
Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:33 PM
We have just cancelled my DD’s party for early April. If it does not develop as i think It will, then i will schedule one at relatively short notice. This is the best possible outcome.
I did not want to keep building hope and anticipation just to have to dash it in a couple of weeks.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles