Government Response

• Please log in to reply
840 replies to this topic

#1 Tokra

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:04 AM

I'm just curious - what do we think of the Governments response to the crisis?

I saw the address by the PM today and I have to admit that I enjoyed the part where he told Aussies to stop with panic buying and that he was disappointed in that behaviour etc.

I have felt like they have done an okay job and have felt like the information I'm receiving sounds reasonable.

But I don't know if it actually is or if I'm just falling for their crap.

How do we know?

#2 IamtheMumma

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

They're a month behind taking any action and their "Just pray" approach is total BS.

#3 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:17 AM

I feel like they are slow to act and only willing to follow other countries. It’s always about what other countries are doing on this or that but we aren’t doing their same approach overall, so we aren’t going to have the same outcomes.

Even in the panic buying part he is banging on about commons sense - many people have already proven that their common sense is non existent or completely irrational.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

I can't say I am a fan of Morrison's but I also know whatever the government or whatever decisions they make people will complain about it regardless

#5 Ozquoll

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

I'm glad Morrison spoke about the panic buying today, but I don't think it will be enough. He needs to start wielding some power to stop the panic buying madness NOW.

#6 Silverstreak

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

I am concerned, to be honest. And I get the impression that economic considerations are taking precedence over safety considerations. Like, let's just keep everything running at the status quo as much as possible and if people get sick, so be it. But have everybody stay 1.5 metres away from each other, because that's possible in every social situation.

#7 annodam

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

This action should've been brought upon us at the beginning of Feb., too late now!

#8 Kreme

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:37 AM

I don’t trust them.

Lecturing about panic buying will achieve nothing because panic is not a logical state. Hoarding is a response to feeling that it’s everyone for themselves and the government is not going to take care of you. He’s also lecturing people to get off Twitter, because he doesn’t want us reading posts by epidemiologists or emergency doctors who disagree with his approach.

People want clear information and decisive action. The bullsh*t about going to the footy and just keep on being Australian has exposed Scomo as a man with no plan and no ideas beyond slogans. He thinks he can advertise his way out of this one.

I’d be demanding he step aside except there’s nobody else in the government who is capable. Seriously Tony Abbott would do a better job than him, and I never thought I would hear myself say that!

#9 Anonforthistime

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:39 AM

I suggest Turing on the ABC National press club now and listening to the expert epidemiologists who are at the forefront of this.
They are advising the government and are the appropriate experts to do so. I’m glad the government is listening to them and not the panicked people in the community.

#10 Ozquoll

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

^^^ (responding to Kreme)
He probably would...but can't you just see him running up and down the streets in his red budgie smugglers, looking for particles of coronavirus to personally shirtfront? 😆

Edited by Ozquoll, 18 March 2020 - 11:40 AM.

#11 zenkitty

I’m no fan of Morrison but I think the response has been reasonable. Economic concerns aren’t everything, but people are going to lose their jobs, businesses and homes because of this. The government needs to establish an urgent basic income people can apply for quickly so that more control can be taken ASAP.

#12 -Emissary-

I’m tired of waiting for a lock down.

I feel like they are prioritising the economy over peoples’ healths. They’re probably thinking the options are a few thousands deaths vs hundreds of thousands of jobs and are currently prioritising the jobs.

I don’t know what the right answer is and I don’t think they really do either.

Edited by -Emissary-, 18 March 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#13 CrankyM

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

I honestly don't know that they actually know what they are doing. I wish they were providing clearer information. Issue regular bulletins in simpler language. We have this many cases at of 9am, we have this many cases as of 6pm. This is what we are doing, with actual proper guidelines. I wish we were following Singapore's example. I have family there and they are regularly updated. They have concrete measures in place that people can see being implemented. Schools are open there, but people see that the children are temperature checked in the morning and after school. Cases are tracked. Contact tracing is in place. There is less waffle. The more unknown, the more scared people are.

Edited by CrankyM, 18 March 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#14 Magratte

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

View Postzenkitty, on 18 March 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

The government needs to establish an urgent basic income people can apply for quickly so that more control can be taken ASAP.

I agree with the above, but have not heard this suggestion from the government yet. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

#15 Amica

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

The PM is so far out of his depth he should feel humiliated. Bleating on about panic buying is tokenistic and meaningless. Protect wages, protect our vulnerable, and announce stimulus that doesn't patronise us with the myth of trickle down economics.

Even Trump is upstaging Morriscum and Australian government at this point.

Edited by Amica, 18 March 2020 - 11:55 AM.

#16 zenkitty

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

View PostMagratte, on 18 March 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

I agree with the above, but have not heard this suggestion from the government yet. This needs to be addressed ASAP.

I doubt this government would go there, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it does. We are heading towards the worst of both worlds without it - severe outbreak plus economic disaster.

#17 Jersey Caramel

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:57 AM

I am not a fan, but I thought today's press conference was better than previous ones.  They seem to have realised they need to explain *why* they are doing what they are doing.  Some people seem to think that a 2-4-6 week "shutdown" would be the panacea,  so I think it was important that they explained that it's really a 6+ month period that would be required and they started preparing people for that.  

I suspect that they think/have been advised that compliance will be better if there is a gradual tightening of restrictions rather than something drastic.  Most of us on EB are well informed and recognise the likely progression of this pandemic, but we can't forget that there are still LOADS of "it's just a flu" people.  My mum's friend who is a nurse said this just last weekend!!!

Norman Swan's prediction was that they would be looking at Easter for a first 'total lockdown' period, and the modeling from Imperial College in the last day or so shows that you would need to have pulses of lockdown otherwise you are just delaying the inevitable peak.

#18 #YKG

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

View PostAmica, on 18 March 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

The PM is so far out of his depth he should feel humiliated. Bleating on about panic buying is tokenistic and meaningless. Protect wages, protect our vulnerable, and announce stimulus that doesn't patronise us with the myth of trickle down economics.

Every single government around the world are out of their depth. No Trump is not upstaging anyone, he keeps going on about it like it’s a terrorist they can shoot and be done with.

I don’t particularly like our government, but I also know there is so so much more going on behind closed doors that we will never be privy to. This is a novel SARS virus, meaning it’s a new strain of SARS. It’s unpredictable, they can only work with what they have.

Honestly there is not a single person on this board that would or could do any better despite what you think.

#19 Magratte

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:03 PM

View PostAmica, on 18 March 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

One like is not enough. I agree 100%.

#20 NikiOne

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

I'm not impressed, we should have done better, I'm not surprised.
A few weeks ago the line was we can't stop international travel and now we are isolating everybody who enters and preparing it seems to close the boarders.
So why didn't we do that a few weeks ago? At a bare minimum it would have given us time to get the test kits we need, get all the PPE we need, source more ventilators and of course manufacture more toilet paper.
Where we are today was completely predictable 2 weeks ago and where we will be in 2 weeks time is also.
The fact that so many people are doing more than the government is requiring (e.g. kids from school) speaks volumes.

#21 Tokra

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

I find it difficult to accept that the head doctor would stand there and just kind of lie to us.

https://www.facebook..._video_explicit

This is happening now.

The lady in the green necklace shut down the lady to the left of her big time and that has made it look like they have something to hide.

"Featured is Director of Epidemiology at Doherty Institute Prof Jodie McVernon, Associate Prof Kamalini Lokuge and public health physician Associate Prof Vanessa Johnston."

#22 Tokra

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:14 PM

One thing I find weird is that people are hoarding, so supermarkets are put limits on what we can buy in one transaction, so then people have to go to the shops more.

It's a no-win situation.

But I am starting to understand that people are panic buying because they are scared.

#23 Kreme

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

I know people who are being forced to go to work every day even though their job is entirely suitable to work from home.

I would like to see the PM lecturing companies that they have a moral responsibility to keep workers at home wherever possible.

#24 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

I have felt like we have not been given good solid information.

For example, it took a fair amount of digging to find out what the definition of self isolation was in the case of exposure. This information was critical to planning what would have with shared care with my eldest.

I feel like we are getting a flood of information in regards to italy etc. And the government doesn't seem to have a plan. It feel reactionary. There os no explanation, no long term plan. Rules FEEL like they are happening ad hoc. It feels as if we are just drifting with the tide.

People are scared of supply chains falling, quarantine, and also severe loss of income. We are told the economic fall out of this is going to crash industries and and cause massive unemployment. But we're told to just chill with the panic buying. That's nice, but people NEED some security.

Lockdown is coming. It has to. Either as a prevention or at its peak. How are businesses going to run when significant amount of their staff is off sick? How are they going to pay wages?

This needs to be addressed. Funds need to be made available. And people have to have that sense of security.

A bakery I follow in England raised an excellent point, until shut down is declared they cannot claim their losses on insurance.

I get that the government needs time to get plans in order. They need to manage economic collapse and the long term ramifications of that against loss of life. But I don't feel secure. I don't feel like the government has a plan. Other than just locking step with other countries and saying she'll be right.

#25 Crombek

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

I really don't think anyone is qualified to say whether the government's response is right or wrong. It's clear even the experts can't agree on the best way forward day to day. So much changes in real time too.

I have faith that they have a better panel of advisors than I do. I believe they have some impossible choices to make. Whether they make the 'correct' choice in what is essentially a Sophie's Choice circumstance depends on their end goal, and what they are prepared to sacrifice to get there. And I acknowledge that their goals may not be the same as mine. And that's ok even though I might not agree, or like it.

I am just really, really glad I'm not in their position.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.