Jump to content

Gardening chat thread


  • Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#51 blackcat20

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostEtcetera, on 23 March 2020 - 03:01 PM, said:

^^ I'd go and grab some asap as everyone seems to be turning into homesteaders now!

I’ll have a look on my way home tomorrow.

#52 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

I did a large order of seeds from Diggers last night.  My vege beds are ready to be planted once they arrive.

Anyone here experienced with hippeastrums?  I have about a dozen in pots that have never flowered for me.  I suspect they have not had the soil changed in a very very long time.  I think I will repot them and see what happens (they came from a friend whose parents collected them but didn't garden for years before they passed).

#53 Etcetera

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

We had some hippis in Brisbane. I must confess I did absolutely nothing. I have heard you're supposed to dig bulbs up and separate them to get more flowers... at least that's what the previous owner of our current house told me. I've not done that though because well, I'm lazy.

We have a feijoa, it's a pretty big tree but has only gotten a few flowers and then nothing.


I'm very grateful for this thread. It's taking me away from all the other crap and I'm enjoying thinking about the garden again.

#54 purplekitty

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:18 PM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 23 March 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

I did a large order of seeds from Diggers last night.  My vege beds are ready to be planted once they arrive.

Anyone here experienced with hippeastrums?  I have about a dozen in pots that have never flowered for me.  I suspect they have not had the soil changed in a very very long time.  I think I will repot them and see what happens (they came from a friend whose parents collected them but didn't garden for years before they passed).
Mine are in the garden, they get some fertiliser occasionally.
They do need a fair amount of sun to flower well.

#55 Jembo

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

Quote

Try Perth hills veggie co. You can order online and they will post out free of charge. We also live in WA and have this issue. Almost nothing at Bunnings or mitre 10.

Excellent thanks, will look into it.  Crazy!  It is still hot here, and has been the past few days, so quite a few things would have been fried if people thought they could plant an entire salad garden and be laughing in the near future.  

I am battling fruit fly at the moment, does anyone have any secret tips, no matter what I do I feel like I fail at it.

#56 Sancti-claws

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:55 AM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 23 March 2020 - 07:39 PM, said:

I did a large order of seeds from Diggers last night.  My vege beds are ready to be planted once they arrive.

Anyone here experienced with hippeastrums?  I have about a dozen in pots that have never flowered for me.  I suspect they have not had the soil changed in a very very long time.  I think I will repot them and see what happens (they came from a friend whose parents collected them but didn't garden for years before they passed).
Yep - dig them up and separate them - whenever I don't is probably the ideal time, but at unideal times I have had them reflower a year later - they love sun.

I had a great-aunt who had a 3m wide hippeastrum border around both houses that they owned (property and town) - I love them.

#57 purplekitty

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:52 PM

View PostSancti-claws, on 24 March 2020 - 04:55 AM, said:

Yep - dig them up and separate them - whenever I don't is probably the ideal time, but at unideal times I have had them reflower a year later - they love sun.

I had a great-aunt who had a 3m wide hippeastrum border around both houses that they owned (property and town) - I love them.
Mine are in large clumps and flower their heads off every year.
I never dig them up except to plant a bulb somewhere else.

#58 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I will repot them and put them in a sunnier spot.  Then I will expect them flower properly.

#59 rowd

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

My happy gardening news today is that my seedlings got on the courier before the garden store closed for lockdown. So sometime in the next few days I will have vege seedlings to plant!

Etcetera, I wonder if it doesn't get cold enough there for feijoas? Or perhaps if there's nothing to cross pollinate, the fruit doesn't set?

#60 Ozquoll

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

Feijoas need quite a bit of water too. My neighbour's tree, which is irrigated, gets huge crops, but my grandmother's tree which has to fend for itself gets very small harvests, and some years none.

#61 Etcetera

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:38 PM

Hmm possibly. I've never watered it. It gets a few flowers and the small birds love sitting in it. I only know what it is as the previous owner told us. Most things here were neglected so we're still finding our way. I'll do some research.

Just harvested 8kg of grapes!

#62 Ozquoll

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

^^^
That's enough to fill a 5L carboy and make some wine 😁 🍷

#63 ContentedFleur

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

I just got an email from Diggers that my autumn garden speedings collection (https://www.diggers....edings/pcavp20/) had arrived! Earlier than I was expecting, so I've got a huge lot of jobs to do tomorrow:
  • take out spent zucchini plant (4.2 kg of zucchini, not bad)
  • transplant chives
  • clear out salvias from along fenceline
  • take out spent tomato plants (dismal failure this year, I need Ozquoll's Guide To Tomatoes)
  • nail chicken wire up along fence previously covered by salvias
  • transplant raspberry canes from vegie bed to fenceline
  • empty huge compost bin that's been happily composting for a few months into two vegie beds
  • add decaying pea straw
  • plant the new garden!


#64 Ozquoll

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

^^^^
You have a lovely day of gardening ahead of you tomorrow 😀! Nothing like gardening for soothing the soul IMO.

I had a look at that Diggers autumn seedling pack - noice! I'm nervous of putting anything in the cabbage family in my vegie patch, as it is located in a rural area where many of the farmers grow canola...it is cabbage moth heaven there 😲. I have been eyeing off the Vege Cloth row covers here:
https://www.allsun.c...GardenClip.html

That last picture on the page, of an unsprayed cabbage grown under row covers, is inspiring - no holes in the leaves whatsoever!

#65 CrankyM

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:05 AM

I need it to cool down already so I can dig up my new veg patch and get DH to lay the new retic pipe. Stupid tropics. It was 34 degrees at 4pm yesterday. My seeds hopefully are sitting at the post office.

#66 purplekitty

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

View PostCrankyM, on 26 March 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

I need it to cool down already so I can dig up my new veg patch and get DH to lay the new retic pipe. Stupid tropics. It was 34 degrees at 4pm yesterday. My seeds hopefully are sitting at the post office.
Yes,it's too hot still and too high UV,even in the subtropics.

#67 CrankyM

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:31 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 26 March 2020 - 12:21 PM, said:

Yes,it's too hot still and too high UV,even in the subtropics.

Yep and the sun is basically down by 6.30 at the latest so I can't even do it in the evening. Because tropics don't really get a long dusk, the sun goes down its dark within 15 mins.

#68 purplekitty

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

View PostCrankyM, on 26 March 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yep and the sun is basically down by 6.30 at the latest so I can't even do it in the evening. Because tropics don't really get a long dusk, the sun goes down its dark within 15 mins.
I miss the twilight of Melbourne.

#69 blackcat20

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 24 March 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Feijoas need quite a bit of water too. My neighbour's tree, which is irrigated, gets huge crops, but my grandmother's tree which has to fend for itself gets very small harvests, and some years none.

I never did anything for either of my two trees and always got bumper crops.

Tried to buy veggie seedlings yesterday but the shelves were bare except for parsley and kale  :rolleyes:  it'll be another week before they get a fresh delivery and apparently they arent receiving as much as they would normally.

#70 Zeppelina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

Planted some a couple more rows of lettuce today, and a row of silverbeet. Also a few snow peas. (Melbourne here, so autumn is in full swing). And picked a whole lot of cherry tomatoes (the only tomatoes that have actually survived this summer).

Felt very good to be out in the sunshine amongst the greenery.

#71 purplekitty

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

View PostZeppelina, on 26 March 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

Planted some a couple more rows of lettuce today, and a row of silverbeet. Also a few snow peas. (Melbourne here, so autumn is in full swing). And picked a whole lot of cherry tomatoes (the only tomatoes that have actually survived this summer).

Felt very good to be out in the sunshine amongst the greenery.
When I was in Melbourne everybody was complaining about their tomatoes this year.

#72 Zeppelina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 26 March 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

When I was in Melbourne everybody was complaining about their tomatoes this year.
Yeah it was a really weird summer in Melbourne. It felt much cooler than usual, especially in the evenings/at night. We barely used our aircon at all, or even the fans in our bedrooms. We had a handful of stinking hot days, but none of the normal heatwave kind of behaviour the rest of the country had.

#73 limakilo

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

We have moved into a new rental, and the small back lawn is shocking!
It's full of weeds, the internet tells me their real name is taraxacum but I called them "Father Christmases" growing up.
We can mow one day and they are a good 10cm high two days later.
I have used some weed killer, but am after any advise. Do I need to get a hoe and just start digging them out?
I don't think the real estate are going to help with them, especially now.
Anyone a lawn genius?

#74 BusbyWilkes

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Unfortunately, I think they need to be dug out, if you want them gone permanently. Boring, monotonous hard work - Perhaps a job for your H.
Save the fun gardening for yourself.

#75 purplekitty

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

View Postlimakilo, on 26 March 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

We have moved into a new rental, and the small back lawn is shocking!
It's full of weeds, the internet tells me their real name is taraxacum but I called them "Father Christmases" growing up.
We can mow one day and they are a good 10cm high two days later.
I have used some weed killer, but am after any advise. Do I need to get a hoe and just start digging them out?
I don't think the real estate are going to help with them, especially now.
Anyone a lawn genius?
Dandelions?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.