Gardening chat thread

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#76 limakilo

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 26 March 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I think they need to be dug out, if you want them gone permanently. Boring, monotonous hard work - Perhaps a job for your H.
Save the fun gardening for yourself.
I thought so. We have just broken up (another thread) so I think it might actually help me, I can "rage garden"!
Then turn the soil over and sow lawn seed?
huge job, but only a little lawn, maybe 5m x 4m?

#77 BusbyWilkes

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:59 PM

View Postlimakilo, on 26 March 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

I thought so. We have just broken up (another thread) so I think it might actually help me, I can "rage garden"!
I had seen your other thread, hence the suggestion to give the crap job to him! But if raging at weeds in the garden helps, then you get rid of some frustration and end up with a lovely lawn.

#78 *Spikey*

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

One of my lovely colleagues gave me a heritage tomato bush at christmas. Poor thing has survived bushfires, smoke and ridiculous heatwaves - and living in a pot for ages.

I planted it a couple of days before it rained - and I now have a tomato bush with tomatoes growing on it. And it's just outside of my study, so I can see it while I'm working.

Who knows if I will get to eat my tomatoes, but I'm pleased that they're growing lol.

My crepe myrtles are also flowering finally, and the pink ones have looked lovely. I am tempted to find some winter veg seeds, and do a couple more plants - any suggestions?

#79 purplekitty

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:52 PM

This is the tool I use to get flat weeds out of the lawn.

https://www.bunnings...weeder_p3361194

#80 blackcat20

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM

Tomatoes we’re slow to get going in Melbourne but I’m still picking fruit. Not ready to be pulled out yet but I need the space....

Lots of figs ripening at the moment too.

#81 Etcetera

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

Currently making grape jam and it smells so good!

Planted broad beans, peas, beetroot, with radishes, Asian greens and more salad greens to do tomorrow.
Changed where the greenhouse is going and planned our long awaited garden shed.

Feels so good to get outside with DH and put in place the things we've talked about for so many years.

#82 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 26 March 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

When I was in Melbourne everybody was complaining about their tomatoes this year.
Oh yes. I had 5 or 6 plants and got hardly anything from them. Really disappointing.

#83 Ozquoll

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:01 PM

Perhaps it was the humid February that gave the tomatoes trouble?

#84 Ozquoll

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:05 PM

View Postlimakilo, on 26 March 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

20sqm of Sir Walter turf would cost less than $300 around here 🤔. So much easier than growing from seed.

#85 Sancti-claws

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 26 March 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

This is the tool I use to get flat weeds out of the lawn.

https://www.bunnings...weeder_p3361194
I loved using that on the garden - I think what was referred to above as "father christmas" are the dandelions we call "santa claus" and that is the ONLY tool (and you still need to wet up the soil and hold your mouth right) that will take the big fat taproot up and out!

Hubby did a lovely list on eden seeds - then finally hit "checkout" to get the "we have a backlog of over 5000 orders so have closed for a bit".  He finally found some not so poetic seeds at Big W today.

#86 Ozquoll

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

^^^
Oh no 😱!! How disappointing, after all the fun of choosing the seeds 😟. Greenpatch Seeds might be worth a try, or The Lost Seed?

#87 BusbyWilkes

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:58 AM

View PostSancti-claws, on 27 March 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

I loved using that on the garden - I think what was referred to above as "father christmas" are the dandelions we call "santa claus" and that is the ONLY tool (and you still need to wet up the soil and hold your mouth right) that will take the big fat taproot up and out!

Hubby did a lovely list on eden seeds - then finally hit "checkout" to get the "we have a backlog of over 5000 orders so have closed for a bit".  He finally found some not so poetic seeds at Big W today.

me too, though a different company. Had everything in my cart, waited a couple of hours while DH went to see what seedlings were available. When I went to checkout, only 2 of my 9 seeds were still in stock. And one of them was kale ☹️

#88 Sancti-claws

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

That is sort of a pyrrhic victory, isn't it?

#89 Etcetera

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:59 AM

Im excited! We're getting some panels to make some raised beds from a neighbour in exchange for some potatoes!
Just having my morning cup of tea and then DD and I will dig some potatoes up for her.

We got a delivery of some gorgeous looking soil yesterday.

#90 BusbyWilkes

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

View PostSancti-claws, on 28 March 2020 - 07:15 AM, said:

That is sort of a pyrrhic victory, isn't it?

This thread is not just great for gardening advice. Also get to learn new words!

#91 MsLaurie

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

When should I be looking to plant bulbs? I have some tulip bulbs that have been sitting around for ages (oops) as I keep dithering...

#92 blackcat20

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:07 AM

View PostMsLaurie, on 29 March 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

When should I be looking to plant bulbs? I have some tulip bulbs that have been sitting around for ages (oops) as I keep dithering...
Daffodils etc can go in now, I planted mine yesterday . Tulips I was told to put in the fridge on April first then plant on mother’s day.

#93 Charli73

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

Our tomato’s were crap too this year from 4 plants..

I am trying to Redesign the front yard to make it more modern and I can’t choose any plants to go against the house under the front windows in the garden bed there. They would get virtually no direct sun. I have large birds nest ferns there now..

#94 Ozquoll

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

View PostMsLaurie, on 29 March 2020 - 10:01 AM, said:

My tulip bulb packets said from March onwards, so I've bunged them in the ground already. Fingers crossed that works out okay 🤞. I've also bought the most beautiful assortment of anemones and ranunculi in tones of pink, purple and darkest maroon. I think they will make a glorious display 🌷🏵️🌿.

#95 Ozquoll

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

Charli73 - clivias?

#96 Charli73

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:48 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 29 March 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

Charli73 - clivias?

yes Im considering those, definately on my short list as I know they live shade.. and to think I had a few in my back when we first moved in and we took them out..

#97 purplekitty

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:43 PM

What climate zone do you live in?

Azaleas or rhododendrons?

#98 CrankyM

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

Well we all got out and pulled out all the grass and weeds out of the veggie patch. It’s all been piled up and left to die. We will burn it and then do the ash through the soil as well as some very old chook poo and maybe some blood and bone.

My seeds haven’t arrived yet but everything has been very delayed as they have literally cut out region of WA off and everything has to go through police checks and road checks before being let through.

Oh and we harvested a bunch of loofah and have kept the seeds to we can grow so more. It seems to grow decently here.

Edited by CrankyM, 29 March 2020 - 06:44 PM.

#99 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:15 PM

I planted snow peas today and will plant lettuce tomorrow and tomatoes and chillies.  I've got some flower seeds so might pop them in as well.

#100 Ozquoll

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

^^^
Tomatoes and chillies! Are you in the sub-tropics AO? My tomatoes are looking good still but the frosty weather is only weeks away down here 😕.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.