Can I use cornflour to make a white sauce?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mose

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:44 AM

I have a guest coming tonight (assuming we are all well).  I was planning to make lasagne, but have just realised I don't have gluten free flour for the white sauce.

I am pretty reluctant to go and buy any if I don't have to, because I really only need a few tablespoons - so even if I could find it, I don't want to buy it when although I will use it, it would be over months and others probably need it more.

So can I make a successful white sauce using cornflour? (White wings, I have confirmed with friend in past she is good to use this - is not coeliac).

Thanks for any tips.

#2 .Jerry.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:54 AM

I always use corn-based cornflour to make a white sauce.  Much smoother.  

Not commenting on the dietary requirements of your guest, but the corn flour will make a fine white sauce.

#3 FiveAus

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:57 AM

Yes. I only ever use cornflour to make white sauce. it would never occur to me to use any other type of flour.

#4 27plus

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

You can but don't you use it at the end, rather than melting butter, adding flour then adding the milk?

My mother use to melt the butter then add the milk and then the cornflour (or something like that).

#5 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:49 AM

I have when I have been out of plain flour, works fine :)

#6 eigne

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

I would never have thought to use corn flour! Good to know. I’ve only ever used plain flour!

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:11 PM

Yes, it works fine.

#8 amdirel

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:57 PM

Yes you can use corn flour. Mix cornflour with a few tablespoons of milk, heat the rest of the milk first, then add the cornflour mixture.

#9 sunnies

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Cornflour works fine for a white sauce. If your guest is Coeliac, just make sure the cornflour does not contain traces of wheat/gluten (and of course, make sure it is not wheaten cornflour). Edit - sorry missed a bit of your post about no Coeliac.

Edited by sunnies, 21 March 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Huh - my recipe for white sauce calls for cornflour.... only reason I buy cornflour is for white sauce making.

#11 sammyv

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Make sure it is gf corn flour. Otherwise it is fine to use.

#12 Bono25

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:15 PM

So, how do you make white sauce with corn flour? Do you still mix it with butter, and then add milk, or just warm milk up and add cornflour to it?

#13 amdirel

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

View PostBono25, on 21 March 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

So, how do you make white sauce with corn flour? Do you still mix it with butter, and then add milk, or just warm milk up and add cornflour to it?

As I said above. Heat the milk. Add a few spoons of corn flour to a few spoons of cold milk and mix til smooth. Then add that to the heated milk.

#14 Dianalynch

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

good to know - it sounds easier than making a roux

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

Another 'only ever' cornflour person here.

#16 amdirel

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 21 March 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

good to know - it sounds easier than making a roux

Yep, it is. And fairly impossible to stuff up. My DD makes white sauces all the time to make herself tuna mornay, and it's nice to know she can make it with no risk of a burnt lumpy nightmare lol.

#17 ytt

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:14 PM

I've never heard of using cornflour... great to know :)

#18 iwanttosleepin

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:35 PM

I only use cornflour for sauces, gravy etc.

much more forgiving then regular flour in terms of stirring, lumps etc.

#19 iwanttosleepin

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

yes - you make it the same.  melt butter till its hot, mix in flour and cook it till it dries a bit,  add cold milk slowly and keep stirring

never add flour to cold milk and stir in - you have to cook the flour or it tastes floury.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.