Jump to content
40 replies to this topic
Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:09 PM
I have no idea what to do about childcare...
I'm in vic, have a school kid that will be home from tomorrow, but childcare is open and while its open I have to pay the fee. If DD2 has too many absences then we lose the subsidy. If I withdraw DD2 permanently from childcare I lose my spot and it might be January before I can get her back in again. Possibly longer.
Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:19 PM
We've pulled ours and will cop the 2 weeks notice payment period. But dh used to work at that centre and is still in the same company so I'm not worried about the spot. Probably talk to your centre manager and see if you can work something out. Some places will probably give you preference coming back if they can, some centers are waiving the notice period if they can, over heard of a centre that is letting the parents go as "casual" until permanent closure and then will reactivate their normal days (when it won't cost you anything). A lot will depend on your individual centre and what they can get away with/ are willing to do for existing clients
Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:24 PM
I have a 9 y.o and a 3 y.o.
Have decided to pull her from daycare. It doesn't make sense for the rest of us to be at home (2* adult WFH, 1 on school hols) and have her going out into the centre and its many exposures.
If the centre doesn't close down, then we will run out of absence days and CCS will be cut off about six weeks before end of financial year. In CCR days, we paid full price for about 2 months each year. So although it's hard, as long as we both retain our jobs we can wear it if we have to.
I think it's more likely that either the centres close or the CCS absence rules are relaxed before this happens.
I am still paying for a service I am not using. But I have always had to pay for my booked daycare days used or not. This is a budgeted expense for us. I am paying for availability, which is what I need when we get out of this.
Of course all this sound logic would go out the window if one of our jobs goes.
And I won't lie - temptation to send her so I can WFH more effectively is high, very high. But for me I consider it too risky, to us and to others.
Good luck with your decision.
Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:21 PM
I spoke to our childcare center today. They are unsure if they are classified as a “school” or an “essential service”.
Will have to wait and see what happens when SA starts to shut down.
Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:37 PM
NM - reread the article and realised I was mistaken.
Edited by PuddingPlease, 23 March 2020 - 10:39 PM.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:42 AM
Mine is currently going to childcare in NSW. She's 3 and every other thing she enjoys and keeps her sane has closed.
I'm WFH, DH has to go into the office. I'm 7 weeks pregnant. Soon she'll probably have to stay home but when day care closes it will be my parents who we are living with while house hunting watching her all the time which has its risks roo.
Day care has issued a number of statements as to all the steps they're taking and currently doing the best the can.
If and when day care is closed or we choose to stop sending her. We won't be taking her anywhere. No point people pulling them out and then taking family outings to the shops etc.
This week my only times out are to the shops for food or medicine, to my medical appointments or dropping DD at daycare.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:40 AM
DH has a small business. If he can work, he can pay himself (for now) and we can bumble through it with just our school kid at home. But our youngest is full on, he won't be able to work. If he can't work he can't pay himself.
While he can pay himself we can pay for childcare but we can't pay it on just my income. As for full fee, gosh I have no idea how we'd do that.
eta: gotta admit its nice being the higher income earner of the two of us, until this small business of his it was the other way around
Edited by WaitForMe, 24 March 2020 - 06:42 AM.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:09 AM
I’m so mixed. My DH can’t work from home so his still going to work. (His underwater most of the day though). I can do most from home but I need preferably 2 days in the office. We can juggle it but for 1 day as mum said she will still have them. I’m not sure I feel comfortable with her having them if DS2 is going to day care though.
DS2 has asthma so there is that.
But DS2 has a major speech disorder which going to kinder/day care is so beneficial to him. Those kids know him and have since he was 5 months old. They somehow get him and his language he speaks and his beautiful friends don’t have trouble communicating with him and understanding him like we do. He doesn’t seem as frustrated at the end of the day from day care then with us.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:50 PM
If the CCS rules are applied as usual be careful about ending your enrolment immediately after any absences.
CCS isn’t payable on any absences between the last physical attendance and enrolment ceasing.
For example if you have every Wednesday and a Thursday booked and advise your Centre you no longer want the place you will be in your two weeks notice. If you stop going immediately they will report the next four booked days as absences and you won’t get CCS on those.
I know of people who have signed their child in on what would be their last booked day just for five minutes and then signed them out again so it’s not an absence.
Also if you are absent 14 weeks Centrelink cease your enrolment and that same rule above applies.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:06 PM
Please keep your kids home if you can. Childcare staff are trying their best to make a hygeinic environment but the virus is very easily spread. If we don't all stay home more people will die, it is simple as that.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:09 PM
I'm really torn. With both of us WFH I don't know how we would manage having DD 2YO home with us but the longer she's there, the higher the risk. I also won't see my parents until she's been home with us for two weeks. After that I might be able to get a little help so long as we've all effectively self isolated including not going to the shops. So basically I need to make the decision at some point to have two very difficult weeks in the hope of getting a little extra help from my parents after that.
Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:50 PM
I’m another one torn. I really want to keep DD 2yo home but realistically know it is going to impact on my ability to work from home. I don’t think I can risk depending on my parents even after keeping DD home for 14 days as I don’t trust their ability to self isolate. I think my plan at this point is to get through the week and reassess on the weekend.
I’m also concerned about the impact this is going to have on DD more so than my older DS who I am keeping home from school. I might be wrong but for some reason I feel that these years are more important development wise than primary school.
Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:30 AM
Does anyone know whether the absence days are pro rata or not? 42 days is a very different period of time if your child attends care 5 days a week compared to 2 days a week.
Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:44 AM
We've decided to see out the week, then DD2 will be kept home. We will be permanently pulling her out (for now) as we simply can't justify $1200 a month to keep our spot.
I'm dreading telling childcare. More jobs gone.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:24 AM
Is anyone still sending their kids to childcare this week?
I feel like I have to keep mine home this week but I hope it doesn't adversely affect the centre and staff in terms of their jobs.
I'm also a bit scared for how long this goes on for. We won't be able to afford childcare without the CCS so if it goes on for longer than the allowed absences (I think 62 days now?) we'll be in strife. Hopefully if that's the case, the situation is reviewed by government. At this stage I'm keeping our place and I don't mind paying while she isn't there, especially if it helps our centre.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:37 AM
I’m wondering if perhaps they could offer a holding fee of some sort to keep the place for when things loosen up? Because it seems absurd that playgrounds are too risky but daycare is okay, and paying the full rate to not send her... agggh!!
Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:55 AM
It’s doing my head in! We’re not sending DD, but still enrolled. I think I’m going to wait until after Easter to see if schools reopen or not. If childcare isn’t shut down by then, I will give notice. Definitely can’t afford to pay fees without CCS and we’ve used a number of absent days already.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:23 AM
Well, we ended up taking DD2 out mid last week. She figured out her big sister wasn't going to school and got really upset she was missing out on the apparent fun at home. And it just seemed ridiculous DD1 was at home isolating and she wasn't.
However we have not withdrawn her yet. They told us to get our income reassessed, that we get 62 days absence, hardship childcare cover... but none of that has much of an impact on us. We aren't under financial hardship, but we don't want to wait until we are. Its too late in the financial year for the loss of DH's financial income to change our subsidy much.
We still have mortgage payments and council rates and utilities and I can't change any of them.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:29 AM
Actually I just remembered Morrison is talking about a wage guarantee. Hopefully that will come through, and it will allow childcare to hold onto my spot.
The other thing thats horrible about all of this is the displacement of workers - they lose their jobs and don't necessarily go back to the last place they worked at when this is all over. At childcare, this means new carers, new kids, just in the same building.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:35 AM
I’m really confused - if they close daycares, we don’t have to pay? I’ve taken them out but enrolled still.
I have my twins in three days but can’t afford it. I intend to pay for now until they eventually close to secure my spot. Someone please explain if that’s okay? Thanks!
Edited by newmumandexcited, 30 March 2020 - 07:36 AM.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:39 AM
My child is still going. There are so few kids attending and DH and I are still working. Evetually they'll close and we will have to make it work somehow. Until then we are taking it week by week.
Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:23 PM
Made the decision to keep mine home this week and after seeing the press conferences today I know I've made the right call - I can work from home so we'll work it out like everyone else who has to.
newmumandexcited - I think what you're doing is right except I'm not sure if they will actually end up closed (unless you have a case at/related to your centre) - health care workers etc are still going to need childcare I imagine and I think the government really don't want to make a call on this. It's also a huge workforce to be putting out of work, even if temporarily.
Maybe see if you can ring and have a chat to your centre director?
I do think (hope!) if the directives to stay home and the current restrictions stay in place for months, the government will have to address the absence days issue and security of enrolment etc
2 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles