Job seeker payments

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The new me

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

DH is in hospitality, they are closed so he has no income
I am still working (for now)
Under the normal rules I earn too much for him to be eligible for anything.

I am hearing rumours they may be changing the income a partner can earn.  I can't find anything

Does anyone have any links I can read?

Thanks

#2 Paddlepop

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

No link sorry, but I saw on the news that they're considering increasing it to $74 000. It was either the channel 10 Brisbane 5pm news or the channel 7 Brisbane 6pm news. I'm pretty sure it was the channel 7 news.

#3 José

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

thanks for posting this OP.
i have the same question.
so many families will be hit hard  by the sudden and unexpected complete loss of income.
even if their partner earns an average wage the impact is potentially pretty significant.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:44 AM

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.  DH and I both earn similar amounts but he has just lost his job so our income is now halved but still too much for any centrelink.  That doesn't make it any easier to pay our bills.  Unfortunately even if they increase the threshold to $74K we will still be slightly over.

#5 Lesley225

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:47 AM

On rn this morning hank was refusing to answer that question on income limits of the spouse and just kept saying it varies check online

#6 The new me

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

From what I read today, the minister has the power to make changes and is considering it

surely this should have been considered up front.

Grrrrr

#7 Bigfamof10

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

View PostThe new me, on 24 March 2020 - 07:18 PM, said:

DH is in hospitality, they are closed so he has no income
I am still working (for now)
Under the normal rules I earn too much for him to be eligible for anything.

I am hearing rumours they may be changing the income a partner can earn.  I can't find anything

Does anyone have any links I can read?

Thanks

#8 Bigfamof10

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

https://www.services...its/income-test

#9 blimkybill

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

View PostBigfamof10, on 20 April 2020 - 09:52 AM, said:

Ah, so the income test for partners will be relaxed a bit from April 27.
It's a bit hard to work out the cutoff at which no Jobseeker will be paid. But I think it's around an average income. Jobseeker payments will reduce by 25c for every dollar earned by the partner over $994 per fortnight. Jobseeker amount is $510 per fortnight for a partnered person (not including the coronavirus supplement). So maybe some Jobseeker would be payable up to a partner income of roughly $78K (note: estimate only, may be not quite correct).

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

Services Australia have confirmed that anyone applying, whose partner income was above the threshold, will have their application automatically re-assessed.

It's important to note, too, that even if you qualify for $1 of jobseeker, you get the full Caronavirus supplement.

#11 wallofdodo

Posted 20 April 2020 - 10:27 AM

Interesting. Yes we are one family who have fallen through the cracks. My DH had 3 casual/temporary/partime jobs. 2 of those have fallen through.

One the boss closed up the business really hastily before any announcements.  
One the company was sold in Jan before all this happened, so they stopped giving him shifts.
One he still has some hours.

So cause he still has a job (yay) and I have a job (also yay) he doesn't qualify for any payments, even though our income has dropped quite significantly (about 6000 this FY).

I am not complaining we don't get any money, I am so grateful to still have work, and happy to be paying our part to keep the country afloat. Just a description of how easy it is to fall through the cracks.

If the company hadn't sold, he would have qualified for the job keeper payment, as he had been a casual there for about 5 yrs.

#12 melanieb530

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

So with the new income test does that mean people whose partner’s income previously put them over the limit can now apply even if they haven’t been working long term? $78,000 seems like a very high income to a lot of people. Wondering if many people previously never eligible (and not counting officially in unemployment figures) will now be able to claim and also then make official unemployment figures look a lot higher than they would be otherwise.

Edited by melanieb530, 20 April 2020 - 02:23 PM.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

View Postmelanieb530, on 20 April 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

So with the new income test does that mean people whose partner’s income previously put them over the limit can now apply even if they haven’t been working long term? $78,000 seems like a very high income to a lot of people. Wondering if many people previously never eligible (and not counting officially in unemployment figures) will now be able to claim and also then make official unemployment figures look a lot higher than they would be otherwise.

I doubt we'll know what official unemployment figures would look like, given with jobkeeper payments, we won't know if those people would have needed to apply for jobseeker, or even if they were eligible.  My daughter's on jobseeker but there was potential for her to be on jobkeeper.

People getting jobkeeper may or may not have been unemployed.

At some point the partner income will drop again, and the service will know how many people fail to qualify any longer.

#14 The new me

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:02 PM

I was reading this morning about the adjustment to partner income threshold not coming in until 27/April
This means DH application still due to be assessed will be declined before this date (then reasssessed)

However as it looks like he will probably get job keeper I regret giving them all my paperwork - it was a horrendous pile of paperwork - trust deeds and asic documents (for a trust and company I started last year but haven't done anything with yet).

I know we are lucky

#15 Murderino

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

He won’t have to reclaim though it just won’t lay until the relaxed income test comes in.

I’d recommend everyone who has lost significant income to claim and let Services Australia work it out. Be truthful about your remaining gross income and your assets and see what happens.

Better to apply and find out you aren’t eligible than to find out later that you would have received some payment but now it’s too late because you assumed you wouldn’t be eligible.

#16 doubting thomas

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

Does anyone know how you change your answers to the original jobactive question? I forgot to mention something important but can't see how to alter it. ( It was the original list of questions that asked personal questions like "do you have a medical condition" etc"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.