Closed private school and fee discounts

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 crazypenguin

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

If your children go to a private school that has closed (before the state schools did so if the state schools have in your state), have they offered a fee discount, and if so, how much?

Just trying to see if our school is reasonable.

#2 Caribou

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

Private school here. No fee discount. Why would they? They have the same outgoing costs! Teachers salaries won’t change.

I don’t expect them to give a discount nor should they?

#3 JRA

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

No discount expected here, DS is attending lessons as per normal, just from home.

I will say the school gave a reasonable discount when DS was absent for two months when ill

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

I would not be expecting them.

Presuming your teachers had the extra load of preparing work for the children to do at home and actually being at school even though the children weren't.

Edited by Soontobegran, 24 March 2020 - 07:38 PM.

#5 José

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

DS goes to a catholic school. a parent has posted on FB about a fee reduction. i hope they give it to families who experience hardship as a result of carona virus.
but like the PP i dont think it should be expected as i also imagine most of their costs wont change.

#6 crankybee

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

I am a teacher at a private school and we will be teaching a full timetable from home if we close. Even now with 60% of the students self isolating we are setting work for them to do. We are working really hard to make sure the students continue their learning.

#7 #YKG

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

Honestly I think a discount or reduction should only be offered to families that are suddenly without household income.

Not sure why a discount would apply to everyone? Are teachers not providing work?

#8 IamzFeralz

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:38 PM

View Postcrazypenguin, on 24 March 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

If your children go to a private school that has closed (before the state schools did so if the state schools have in your state), have they offered a fee discount, and if so, how much?

Just trying to see if our school is reasonable.

Isn’t the school providing online programming and or tuition at home for your children?  They still have to pay their teachers to manage that.

#9 eponee

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

My DS13's catholic high school has emailed all families inviting them to apply for 'temporary fee assistance' if they have been negatively impacted by current events.

The school hasnt closed as yet but I think it is inevitable.

Edited by eponee, 24 March 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#10 liveworkplay

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

Teachers are working twice as hard to provide content to classes and in the back ground get online learning up and running. The ones where we are are providing a modified timetable of face to face online teaching. They are still working and teaching, who should you get a discount? If families are in hardship then there are policies in place at schools to help with this.

#11 crazypenguin

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

Thanks all. The school has given a 20-30% discount, depending on year levels, we get 30%. I thought that was reasonable but my husband thinks it should be more. Was just asking to see what others have done.

I will almost certainly lose my job soon, so it isn't helping the situation. At least his job is very secure.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

If you need to ask for money reasons then they have ways to do that but if they are still providing work then there should be no discount.

#13 liveworkplay

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:50 PM

View Postcrazypenguin, on 24 March 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

Thanks all. The school has given a 20-30% discount, depending on year levels, we get 30%. I thought that was reasonable but my husband thinks it should be more. Was just asking to see what others have done.

I will almost certainly lose my job soon, so it isn't helping the situation. At least his job is very secure.

I think even that is extremely generous. I work in a non  teaching role at a school. The clock is ticking on my pay as of Monday where we move to online learning. I am only paid as long as I have productive work to do. This won't last for months on end. Schools are much much more then just teachers and students.

#14 crazypenguin

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

Also, I haven't said a single thing against teachers or the school. Of course teachers are working hard and providing online content. They do a great job.

Not that it is relevant but I am a relief teacher in public schools, which are still open, and that is an incredibly stressful job at the moment. A lot more stressful than what my child's teacher is doing. Plus, when they close I will not have an income. I don't resent them at all and I certainly don't want them to take a paycut. The fees of the students in the class would pay 140% of her wage, and then there is the Government funding on top of that. The school closing has meant the amount of work I can do, and income I can earn, has been limited.

#15 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

No discount here but fee assistance has been offered if parents out of work or losing income due to COVID19. On a case by case basis I believe.

Our school has honestly been incredible. They deserve every cent of what I paid them at the start of the year. I don’t want any back.

20-30% seems incredibly generous.

#16 annodam

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:59 PM

Haven’t heard anything.
I wasn’t expecting any reduction, in fact it didn’t even cross my mind!
Our School actually shut its doors yesterday, no one is on Campus.

#17 JRA

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

20-30% - wow that is generous.

are the teachers providing content or actually running classes online?

#18 José

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

I also think 20-30% is very generous

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

I would be super impressed with a 20-30% discount..

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

How much school have they actually missed ?

The school must be in a very favourable financial position.

#21 Cat12

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:26 PM

Not for school fees no, but 3 of my kids were at boarding school. I haven’t heard about boarding fees being reimbursed and boarding has just closed 3 weeks before the end of term (WA). So paying fees and feeding the extra 3 mouths at home is a double whammy.

Cat

#22 Caribou

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

That’s an impressive discount! They must be doing alright. I know my private school can’t afford to give back cash that’s for sure.

#23 can'tstayaway

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

I think that’s incredibly generous too.

I would not expect a discount at this time.  My children might not be physically attending school, but the school is still providing them an education. The teachers. The support staff. The cleaners, gardeners, canteen staff still need to be paid. The subscriptions to the various online databases and online learning platforms all still need to be paid. The electricity still needs to be paid.

I’m fortunate that I do not need to Immediately worry about putting food on the table or keeping up mortgage payments. I hope that by maintaining our fee payments, which I would be paying anyway, means that the lowly paid staff like cleaners or canteen employees can feel secure in their employment and keep an income coming in.

#24 crankybee

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

but I am a relief teacher in public schools, which are still open, and that is an incredibly stressful job at the moment. A lot more stressful than what my child's teacher is doing.

Read more: http://www.essential.../#ixzz6HbOgkaBE
Follow us: @essentialbaby on Twitter | EssentialBabyAU on Facebook

How do you measure that?

#25 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

View Postcrazypenguin, on 24 March 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

I don't resent them at all and I certainly don't want them to take a paycut. The fees of the students in the class would pay 140% of her wage, and then there is the Government funding on top of that.  

Who is going to pay for the executive and the Principal's wage? What about the counsellor who is probably in overdrive. What about the IT guy keeping all the online systems running? What about the cost of the servers to run the online systems? What about the front office staff who are still there doing their jobs?

You are paying for more than just your child's teacher. I'm surprised that as a relief teacher you didn't already realise that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.