Paediatrician appointment

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

My original post was going to be what should I do.

I have my son's 6 monthly check up tomorrow at the paediatrician, and I wasn't sure whether we should attend tomorrow.  I rang an unhelpful receptionist.

In the meantime she rang back and said if I don't attend, I'll have to pay a non attendance cancellation fee regardless.

So I sent an email to and they sent one back.  The clinic is at a hospital which is why I'm more hesitant than if it was a shop situation.  They are on the top floor and we have to use lifts.  (Small spaces button touching).

They are only having one client in the waiting room at a time apparently.

The hospital is going to take our temperatures and ask health questions before we go in.  My ASD son also has high anxiety.  So this should be fun.

I called the hospital and they told me they have no jurisdiction over the clinic as it's hired by the paediatricians. Even though  teh paeds work in the hospital.

I sneezed a couple of times this morning.  

Yes I'm losing my mind I don't feel sick but I sneezed . argh.

I'm going in because they threatened the cancelation fee.  They never addressed whether they would waive that or not.

eta clarity

Edited by lazycritter, 25 March 2020 - 12:51 PM.

#2 purplekitty

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:06 PM

Did you tell them you had respiratory symptoms,that might sharpen their focus.

I find their attitude irresponsible and many consultations are being set up to do by phone now.

#3 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

That's tough lazycritter, I'd go if our paed said we still had to pay too.  I can't afford the out of pocket for no result. My DS does the same re buttons.  Is he too old for a stroller?  Otherwise do you have hand sanitiser you could take and use as soon as out of lift.  Our paediatrican has hand sanitizer everywhere. Or would a tablet/phone distract him from touching buttons?

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

Our paediatrician appointment yesterday took place on Zoom. Still got billed the usual amount. Scripts to follow in the mail. I am surprised they haven't offered this.

#5 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:45 PM

I asked about phone appointments but they said they'd only offer this if we were rural or qualified under their sickness guidelines. and that they are only 30mins and are not eligible for a medicare rebate.

to quote:
"The telehealth rules state that a patient must have had contact with a COVID person to be eligible or live in a rural location."

and

regarding attendance to quote:

"We have strict guidelines as to if you can attend appt:

You must not have travelled overseas in the last 2 weeks
You have not had contact with a COVID 19 person
Anyone in family if unwell you are not able to attend."

#6 purplekitty

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

I'm sorry they are being so inflexible.

Yes,here are the rules for Telehealth.

http://www.mbsonline...ists 250320.pdf

#7 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

View PostSM3s Fight Song, on 25 March 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

That's tough lazycritter, I'd go if our paed said we still had to pay too.  I can't afford the out of pocket for no result. My DS does the same re buttons.  Is he too old for a stroller?  Otherwise do you have hand sanitiser you could take and use as soon as out of lift.  Our pediatrician has hand sanitizer everywhere. Or would a tablet/phone distract him from touching buttons?

My son is 14 and is afraid of lifts.  His anxiety has always been around touching anything and a fear of being contaminated so this is going to be interesting.

But I do have an appointment coming up with my 10 year old who can't stop touching stuff in the same office so that's going to be difficult.

They both have ASD and we're looking at a diagnosis of ADHD for both of them at the moment which is why I'm reluctant to lose an appointment.

If I miss this one, I may not see the paed for 6 months and anything that helps his ability to learn is better known now.  Though we're all screwed now as there is no way I can get him to learn at home.
Having said that this is a fill in paed and not his regular because she took a year off.  He was supposed to be seeing the paediatrician's colleague but he was palmed off to the fill in doctor who might only be good for filling out scripts.

#8 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 25 March 2020 - 03:53 PM, said:

I'm sorry they are being so inflexible.

Yes,here are the rules for Telehealth.

http://www.mbsonline...ists 250320.pdf

Thank you for that.  I don't know why they can't just offer ZOOM or Skype like the PP.

Our psychologist is offering Skype sessions now.

#9 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 March 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

Our paediatrician appointment yesterday took place on Zoom. Still got billed the usual amount. Scripts to follow in the mail. I am surprised they haven't offered this.

I don't understand why they can't offer this.

They told me they won't do scripts over the phone, has to be face to face.

#10 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 25 March 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

Did you tell them you had respiratory symptoms,that might sharpen their focus.

I find their attitude irresponsible and many consultations are being set up to do by phone now.

I told them twice, in email and on phone that I've sneezed a couple of times but I'm just being honest.  I guess that doesn't mean I'm sick.

I wish the hospital could overrule them and demand they do skype consults.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

View Postlazycritter, on 25 March 2020 - 04:02 PM, said:

I told them twice, in email and on phone that I've sneezed a couple of times but I'm just being honest.  I guess that doesn't mean I'm sick.

I wish the hospital could overrule them and demand they do skype consults.
They just lease the rooms from the hospital as a private practice.

#12 José

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 25 March 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

They just lease the rooms from the hospital as a private practice.

The hospital would have no power here.

#13 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:28 PM

Yes the hospital told me as much.

#14 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:40 PM

So I'm pretty sure our appointment was not under the Telehealth rules as it wasn't bulk billed. How incredibly frustrating.

#15 lazycritter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 March 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

So I'm pretty sure our appointment was not under the Telehealth rules as it wasn't bulk billed. How incredibly frustrating.

They didn't let you know in advance that it wouldn't be rebated through medicare?

#16 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:41 PM

FuzzyChocolateToes, on 25 March 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

The tellehealth rules our GP is allowed to bulk bill under are pretty restrictive.  I hope you still got medicare rebate at least.  Your paed should have been clear upfront.

Sorry I thought with the button touching comment that he liked to touch absolutely everything like my Ds1. Had a feeling they were older, but thought I'd throw the stroller idea in incase I was wrong. I hope the appointment went well and was worthwhile Lazycritter.

Edited by SM3s Fight Song, 26 March 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#17 lazycritter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:12 AM

SM3s Fight Song, on 26 March 2020 - 01:41 PM, said:

The tellehealth rules our GP is allowed to bulk bill under are pretty restrictive.  I hope you still got medicare rebate at least.  Your paed should have been clear upfront.

Sorry I thought with the button touching comment that he liked to touch absolutely everything like my Ds1. Had a feeling they were older, but thought I'd throw the stroller idea in incase I was wrong. I hope the appointment went well and was worthwhile Lazycritter.

All good, Believe me,  the stroller was a life saver especially with Mr button presser. I wish they would still fit!

The appointment went well in the end.  Everyone entering the hospital had to have their temperature taken.

I'd explained this to my son before hand.

It probably tells of my heightened anxiety... My ocd anxious and germaphobe son started laughing at me because I kept spraying my hands with sanitiser every time I touched a lift button or opened a door.

We're trialling Ritalin as the screener I did heavily indicates adhd.   We've known his poor working memory and APD were the cause of his struggle to do school work since prep but apparently there was a test back then that he did that indicated that adhd might be a consideration in the future. He was also diagnosed with medium anxiety with his ASD.

We've done enough tests that say he should be able to cope with school work. I'm glad this doctor actively said he's most likely got it. The psych concurs.

I'm just glad that he accepted that I wasn't making up the struggle to get him to do homework. The fact we've been in tears about doing homework isn't normal.

Now the psych and this doc have aligned now.

Thank you everyone for your input.  I can't believe I've found a fill in paediatrician that's better that the practice owner.

#18 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:40 PM

lazycritter, on 25 March 2020 - 10:12 PM, said:

They didn't let you know in advance that it wouldn't be rebated through medicare?
Sorry I phrased that badly. We always pay. I believe Telehealth appointments under the new MBS Codes are bulk billed.

So glad the paed was helpful. Can you stick with this one?

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 27 March 2020 - 08:41 PM.

#19 Charli73

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:52 AM

Glad it went well LC..

Our paed appointment was by FaceTime and wouldn’t be eligible for any rebate and considering she couldn’t weigh DS or check height etc I postponed until June (next available)..

Our psychologist is still doing consults which is amazing as she doesn’t think FaceTime works well with the younger kids..

Such a hard time for our kids ATM.

#20 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:00 AM

Glad it went well Lazycritter. All sounds very positive.

#21 lazycritter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:21 AM

Fct I think we can stay with this one for the rest of the year at least.  He is travelling from Melbourne though so not sure how long that would last afterwards.

#22 lazycritter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

Our psych used "coviu"  to call as she wanted to use an encrypted video call but it didn't work very well.  Hopefully the kids laptops will work better than mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.