Join the now under or unemployed due to coronavirus club here!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 3rd time lucky

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:24 PM

Ok - so I’m now on a weeks ‘leave’ while my workplace figures out what the hell to do with all their employees due to a drop in business...
Not sure if I’ll have a job next week.

Hoping once the business picks up after all this, I’ll have a role to go back to, but who knows?

Luckily we are the stereotypical husband outearns wife family, so we can pay the expenses if DH stays employed. But we’re screwed if he loses his job.

Things will be tight though...

Wah!

Just a month ago I had my annual review - all positive, pay rise etc.
how quickly life can change.

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:27 PM

Me...

Well I have a job still I guess just no hours.

We are much the same, reasonably ok if DHs job holds up but if not we are circling the drain.

#3 Zippypeaks

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

Hubby's the one tasked with letting people go. He came home the other night and burst into tears. People with mortgages, babies on the way, partners who have lost work. He's taken a 70% pay cut and I'm a SAHM. It's going to be a rough and rocky road ahead.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:43 PM

Yep, DH lost his job on Monday (sales to hospitality businesses) and I don't think I will lose mine but will likely have to reduce my hours in the coming weeks (real estate).  It really sucks and for DH this is the third redundancy in three years.  The first redundancy we were fine as he got a good payout, he took a few months off and found a job relatively quickly.  The second time he had only been there a year so no redundancy payment and it took a while to find a new job eating up all our savings.  Job paid a lot less so was not able to build back the savings.  Now this happens, again no redundancy payment because he had only been there a year and no savings buffer.  We are screwed.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

I’m a sole trader and by the end of this week won’t have any work, dh is okay for now and we just hope it stays that way. Tough times ahead.

having said that we’re spending very little, our expenditure was way down last f/night, will only decrease this f/night, seems we can live on a lot less when we’re not allowed out much...

#6 SMforshort

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

Sorry everyone is doing it tough.

I did hear today that private health insurers are offering to waive some payments for some people whose income has been reduced/lost due to the current crisis.

A reminder to all that the best thing you can do when you receive a bill from a utility, insurer, basically anyone you make a regular payment to, is to ring them ASAP and ask to pause or reduce payments.  All of these organisations are putting hardship policies in place.

If you get onto it early, it will relieve your stress and hopefully help you manage your finances.

#7 melanieb530

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

Started a really fantastic new job, part time school hours, in February after being out of work for a period of time. On unpaid leave now as where I work has been closed, so at least I have been able to keep all the children home from school since Monday. Husband’s job seems OK for the moment thankfully.

#8 nom_de_plume

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 25 March 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

I’m a sole trader and by the end of this week won’t have any work, dh is okay for now and we just hope it stays that way. Tough times ahead.

having said that we’re spending very little, our expenditure was way down last f/night, will only decrease this f/night, seems we can live on a lot less when we’re not allowed out much...

Yes spending is definitely down. We are saving $450 per month now that swimming lessons, gym, gymnastics and football are cancelled.

By virtue of being home more and not having to rush to activities we are not eating takeaway or convenience foods so probably saving an extra $50 per week there as well. My petrol bill has also halved due to cheaper petrol and driving less.

#9 nom_de_plume

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

Also childcare. Not having to pay fees for OOSHC and vacation care is saving us too.

#10 DaLittleEd

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:28 PM

DHs contract cancelled a month ago, and now there are no jobs. We were both frantically looking for work, but realistically only one of us could work now as DD's school is closed.

DH is going to keep looking for work (unlikely he will find any), as his work is probably something that can be done as WFH (all his colleagues at his last workplace are now WFH), whereas the jobs I can apply for are less likely to be WFH.

We have had no luck with centrelink. DH's newstart claim was rejected (before new covid announcements) and he can't log in or ring to find out why, or start a new claim. They want me to provide identity documents in person (lol) even though you supposedly don't need to do that anymore.

#11 It's Percy

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

I've gone back to uni to do my Master's so my DH is the only breadwinner. He's been put on enforced annual leave for three days a week, however he only has about 15 days of that so after three weeks that runs out and will be on LWOP. No idea what we will do then.

#12 José

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:36 PM

My DH can join the club OP. After being with the same employee for 9 years.
I earn too much for him to get centrelink benefits. And I'm grateful my job is secure.
I worry for DH and his wellbeing.
And we will definitely feel the impact of him not earning.
I'm reluctant to drop health I insurance but might need to.

#13 3rd time lucky

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:36 PM

I’m so sorry for everyone else in a similar situation.

And I also feel for the management tasked with telling people they’re laid off/ reduced hours etc.
This situation is just so unprecedented and so wide reaching.

#14 eponee

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

View PostZippypeaks, on 25 March 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hubby's the one tasked with letting people go. He came home the other night and burst into tears. People with mortgages, babies on the way, partners who have lost work. He's taken a 70% pay cut and I'm a SAHM. It's going to be a rough and rocky road ahead.

That must be so hard for your husband xx

#15 caitiri

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:46 PM

i Respect any management who is actually giving information DH doesn’t know if he has a job or not

#16 Treasure Island

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

I'm a bit of both here. Long time single mother but I also work as a casual teacher aide so if school's shut next term that means no extra money coming in from work. I have already had no work this term. I have applied and interviewed for new jobs but its all on hold now. I am working the election Sat night if that doesn't get cancelled last minute.

Locally I have noticed some jobs being advertised due to this - supermarkets, medical, fruit picking (due to no backpackers) and a few others so hopefully some people have been able to replace their lost jobs even if its just temporary.

#17 Fourteenyears

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:55 PM

Sole trader, lost possibly all of my work.  Might pick up enough online to cover some business costs.

I’m OK as my husband earns enough to tide us over and I should be able to pick it all up again at the other end.  I am profoundly grateful my overheads are low compared to many in my field of work, and I have no staff to worry about.

#18 Mozzie1

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

I’m the breadwinner and in a contract until June. Until recently it seemed like a fairly low risk decision. But for now we are still employed, and I’m sorry for those who aren’t (or who have to tell others they aren’t).

View Postnom_de_plume, on 25 March 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Also childcare. Not having to pay fees for OOSHC and vacation care is saving us too.

That’s amazing, we are still spending $2k a month but we can’t drop the services because we will need them at the other end of this.

#19 wilding

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:10 PM

Educator here, worked 5 hours today and lost my other shifts for this week and have 1 5 hour one next week if lucky. Wish they would shut us down instead of dragging it out so I know where I stand. It's just me and the kiddo who is looking for work.

#20 No Drama Please

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

View PostMozzie1, on 25 March 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

That’s amazing, we are still spending $2k a month but we can’t drop the services because we will need them at the other end of this.
Ours said not to pay, just withdraw and put them back later, because any absences affect the CCR, (that might not be a factor for you but just in case)

#21 nom_de_plume

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

View PostMozzie1, on 25 March 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

I’m the breadwinner and in a contract until June. Until recently it seemed like a fairly low risk decision. But for now we are still employed, and I’m sorry for those who aren’t (or who have to tell others they aren’t).

Darn :( we are in Vic and our vacation care is cancelled and no OOSHC because no school. Ours allows casual bookings thiugh. Which is probably why we don't have to pay.

#22 Kalanchoe

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:51 PM

DH & I had to close our business on Monday. No idea when we will be able to open again. Just feeling so lost :(

#23 lizzzard

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

I have a small business - me and 2 staff. I am desperately trying to pin down a lifeline. I'm cautiously hopeful but wont know for several weeks if I can somehow secure something to get us through. It's honestly been the most stressful few weeks of my life.

#24 Apageintime

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

Yep my husband. It's heartbreaking. We will not be ok without his wage

#25 kim27

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

So sorry for everyone in this situation.

I work for a state government and thought I was pretty safe. Today at a meeting management admitted that they haven’t been told yet what happens pay wise if our work dries up for a couple of months. I have some annual leave and long service leave but not two months worth. I have months of sick leave so would probably be better off getting the virus!

I live alone and have a mortgage so the Centrelink payment would pay the mortgage and bills but I’d have nearly no money for food. I’m one of the lucky ones because I still have permanent job and we’ll be ridiculously busy once the lockdown was over.

You would think that if governments stop paying their workers then we’re really in big trouble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.