Another load of puppies

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 kadoodle

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:15 PM

I’m emergency foster caring for a kelpie who is about to drop puppies as of twenty minutes ago.  It never rains but when it pours, eh? She’s incredibly anxious, so is isolated in my bedroom. She’s also self-harming (chewing on her front legs). I’ve bandaged her, and am trying to keep her distracted. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Jamelex

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:42 PM

No suggestions, but you are amazing!

#3 Silly Old Elf

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:30 AM

Well, looking at pictures of puppies helps me... but I’m guessing that’s a trigger for her?

Calming music or audio book? I don’t know much. About pregnant dogs. Sorry. You are doing a great thing though.

#4 osmund

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

Some good, tasty things to chew on - bones? bully sticks? antlers?

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:34 AM

I have no idea, sorry. Does this mean you'll have mum and puppies until they're 8 weeks old? You're amazing for continually taking on fosters.

Any chance she'll let Mama Dog near her? I'm guessing she might be a calming influence.

Good luck with the upcoming births.

#6 Bono25

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:35 AM

Would mama dog help? Or mama cat if she's used to cats? Poor thing must be so stressed. Or a big tasty bone that gives her something else to chew on?

#7 FiveAus

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:10 AM

Can you cover an area for her and make a den? She is probably highly anxious due to the presence of other animals, even if she can't see them she'll be able to smell and hear them.
A dark, closed den might give her comfort and help her relax a little.

#8 kadoodle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:18 AM

Thanks! This was a shock - I got asked in the middle of the night, told it was an “emergency situation” - but I’ve made her a den in a basket under my desk, and put blankets over the top. She’s settled enough to eat and drink something. I’m keeping all the other animals away for now.

#9 IamtheMumma

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

She will calm down. She knows she is safe with you.

#10 annodam

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

My Basenji sometimes licks his feet, so much so they become red raw, he licks all the fur off.
At first we thought anxiety but he does it at random times.
He'd be fine at the Kennel for 4wks but then comes home & does it whilst laying on the couch.
What I find helps, is Tea Tree oil (typically dogs don't like the smell) but if that fails, one of those cone collars, is it called Elizabethan collar?

#11 kadoodle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

The vet did a home visit, and gave me some licking deterrent to put on her legs. Flea, tick and worm treatment, too, although she looks pretty healthy for a pound puppy, if young.

Apparently she was at a pound that was being shut due to COVID-19 staffing issues, and anything that couldn’t be fostered was going to be euthanised. She’s still pretty jumpy, but at least she let me pill and potion her.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:55 PM

Could the vet estimate how long until the puppies are due or how many puppies she might have?

That's so harsh that animals would be euthanised because of this stupid bloody virus.

#13 kadoodle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:14 PM

No, without doing an ultrasound they couldn’t tell me, PPop. She said that young dog usually means a small litter, but Teen Mum has seven.

#14 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:54 PM

She’s spent most of the day making a nest in her basket. Just continually re-making it.

I had to get cross with the rescue for not telling me she’d come from a potentially infectious situation (apparently dogs don’t get covid 19, but can carry it on their fur, and for asking me today to take on another mum to be. It seems that I don’t get my boundaries respected until I get cranky, which is annoying.

#15 BusbyWilkes

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 27 March 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

She’s spent most of the day making a nest in her basket. Just continually re-making it.

I had to get cross with the rescue for not telling me she’d come from a potentially infectious situation (apparently dogs don’t get covid 19, but can carry it on their fur, and for asking me today to take on another mum to be. It seems that I don’t get my boundaries respected until I get cranky, which is annoying.

So sorry that your good nature is being taken advantage of. This is why foster carers suffer burn out.

Our dog was at the vets yesterday (doing his best to support small local business with a $1000 bill!) They said that animals (other than possibly ferrets) can not catch Covid19 and that the chance of transmission from touching animals is minuscule. I know that doesn’t change the fact that your agency should have told you, but hopefully might decrease your worry around this.

#16 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

Thanks, BW; that’s a big relief. I’m a bit fatigued from all the contradicting information out there.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

She’s whimpering and licking, and allowing Mama dog to lick her.

#18 Paddlepop

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:28 PM

Does that mean that she's in labour?

#19 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

I think so. Pre-labour at least. She likes Mama, and is letting her lick her like she’s a baby. I’m guessing she’s around six months old, so she is a baby.

#20 Mollyksy

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

Aww, poor girl. I'm glad Mama has taken her under her wing (paw). Kadoodle, you are amazing. I know you've refused before but can we send some money for dog/puppy food for you? Or IM your address and food preferences and we can order an online pet store delivery maybe?

#21 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

Puppy one has arrived. Black and Tan girl. Mouth to mouth resuscitation required, which was gross but effective.

#22 Flaxen

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:02 PM

Oh glad puppy one has arrived, is everything ok?

#23 kadoodle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:03 PM

I have a tail poking out! What do I do?

#24 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

Oh come on child bride. You can do this.

Fingers crossed kadoodle.

#25 Paddlepop

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:09 PM

Call the vet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.