Life at home

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#1 Lifesgood

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

How is everyone finding life at home for those who are now working and schooling at home?

We are going through a lot of tea bags.

Edited by Lifesgood, 26 March 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:33 PM

it’s a struggle. we have a relatively big house for inner west sydney but DS said today “our house is kind of small” - yep, and it’s only going to feel a lot smaller as this goes on...

we’re holding on, just....but we are a week in. i want an end date. i need an end date. there has to be a point at which - surely - they say - ok, let’s try something else. and yes i’ve seen the curve..blah blah blah.

#3 Holidayromp

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

I have had my job suspended. This whole thing blows.

#4 RichardParker

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

I’m eating A LOT.

#5 Mooples

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:40 PM

Ds 4 years old has finally realised that it doesn’t matter how many times he asks to go to the park / the pool / a play centre / the zoo etc we can’t go.

Lots of playing in the backyard, craft and extra screen time.

Dh is already looking forward to getting back to working onsite.

#6 petal71

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:41 PM

Oh no HR : ( Really sorry to hear that.

I did WFH and homeschooling today for the first time and it was harder than I was expecting. Work is insane due to Covid-induced changes in the system, and although DS did pretty well, I found myself frazzled when he got through activities so quickly!

But for a first day it went OK. Will prepare a bit more for next time. We have had little guidance from the school so that didn't help.

#7 PandoBox

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostMooples, on 26 March 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

Ds 4 years old has finally realised that it doesn’t matter how many times he asks to go to the park / the pool / a play centre / the zoo etc we can’t go.

Lots of playing in the backyard, craft and extra screen time.

Dh is already looking forward to getting back to working onsite.

This 100% but with a 2 year old.

Also I keep googling when will Covid end. I know logically that the internet can't tell me this and I also know that there is no point googling it but I do it anyway.

#8 WaitForMe

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

View PostRichardParker, on 26 March 2020 - 07:37 PM, said:

I’m eating A LOT.

I'm drinking a lot!

#9 cstar

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

We are doing ok so far, my kids are older , 18 and 14 and are all happy to be at home (for now)

my dh thought it was Tuesday so that was funny. He has completely lost his days.

#10 Lifesgood

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 26 March 2020 - 07:36 PM, said:

I have had my job suspended. This whole thing blows.
I'm so sorry. What work were you doing?

I'm having a glass of wine each night to help de-stress from a day of WFH and homeschooling. Not ideal.

#11 WaitForMe

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

To top it all off, our nbn cable got ripped off the house today.

eta: nbn first have to assess its not a problem inside the house. Erm, its dangling from the street pole...

Edited by WaitForMe, 26 March 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:50 PM

Its ok so far. I finish at 2, so I'm not stressing too much over it, I just get them to do what they can from their work schedules and if they need help they get it at 2.

#13 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:54 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 26 March 2020 - 07:48 PM, said:

I'm so sorry. What work were you doing?

I'm having a glass of wine each night to help de-stress from a day of WFH and homeschooling. Not ideal.

hmm. i wish i was stopping at just one glass. but no, it’s not ideal. i really hate this. and i’m an introvert - on paper, one would think i would like this but i don’t. i worry for my children, this isn’t good for them. they need exercise and stimulation and social contact. so do adults, for that matter. it’s taking a terrible toll ...

#14 Evra

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

Had my first WFH faux pas today.
Joining team meeting on Zoom. Unmuted. Manager’s face appears.
DD (somewhat inaudible, I sincerely hope): Is that your boss? She’s a rude old lady. ROAR.
Me: Oh, ha ha, she’s being a lion, roaring at everyone.
DD: No, I just roared at your boss.

#15 ekbaby

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

Homeschooling has been ok when that’s all I have to worry about but next week am supposed to be trying to WFH at the same time and I have no idea how that is going to be possible with a FYOS 5yo (& 2 older primary kids who fight and argue but at least can be given some responsibility for own learning).
I think maybe I’ll just let her have tv all day and then do 1 hour of school in the arvo

#16 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

View PostEvra, on 26 March 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

Had my first WFH faux pas today.
Joining team meeting on Zoom. Unmuted. Manager’s face appears.
DD (somewhat inaudible, I sincerely hope): Is that your boss? She’s a rude old lady. ROAR.
Me: Oh, ha ha, she’s being a lion, roaring at everyone.
DD: No, I just roared at your boss.

lol....i’m getting an insight into my DH...he manages a large sales team..he conferenced them all in this morning..i was working at the other end of the table ...i thought he was a complete prick! they must  hate him....

Edited by Lucrezia Bauble, 26 March 2020 - 08:01 PM.

#17 ceeshell

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:01 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 26 March 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

hmm. i wish i was stopping at just one glass. but no, it’s not ideal. i really hate this. and i’m an introvert - on paper, one would think i would like this but i don’t. i worry for my children, this isn’t good for them. they need exercise and stimulation and social contact. so do adults, for that matter. it’s taking a terrible toll ...

I feel that, too. My middle child was really getting into running. She had been sprinting with Nippers and doing well, and was starting soccer to keep up her cardio fitness. She was looking forward to the cross country and athletics carnival. She has just realised that she’ll lose a lot of her fitness.

It’s not the end of the world, just very disappointing.

We’ve lost 50% of our business and are in panic mode. Working from home, homeschooling, trying to work out how to hold on to staff, knowing we won’t be able to pay ourselves etc etc etc. It’s truly horrible.

We’re not the only ones, so should stop whining.

The dog has never been walked so much, though!

#18 kimasa

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

I don't have a desk and it's driving me nuts. I've never had a need for a desk, I'm very much a laptop on my lap on the couch or cross legged on the floor kind of person, but doing it all day is killing my back and the dining table just isn't the correct height.

Thankfully DD is all about skipping and hula hooping at the moment which is a nice backyard activity, plus her dance school has uploaded all their songs onto Band so I can schedule her for half an hour of dance practice and she will go and push the couches to the side and do that in the loungeroom, so I'm not overly concerned about her exercise, my exercise, however... I should probably take up skipping.

I've also realised how much tea room tea I drink at work, my tea supplies are plummeting too.

#19 #notallcats

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 26 March 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

It's honestly no good for anyone.  Give yourself a break.

If it makes you feel any better, I told my kids that school is still open and I will send them if they don't stop whatever bloody annoying thing they were doing. ...

i think this is worse for the adults.  Children don't know anything different.  So look after yourself too.

#20 seayork2002

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

I am still working  (around the corner from home) DS and dh are getting through each day as best they can

The bottle shop man knows me now in preparation from me working from home with them soon

We live in a 2 bed unit but i have saved some shows and good books and Easter eggs

#21 SummerStar

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

As an introvert I love the can't go out at all. I do wish the outside world was normal though. But not having any issues staying in and not even having to do the school run. I get everything I need delivered so I am not unhappy or climbing walls.

I have a child who hates leaving the house too and isn't the biggest fan of even going to school. So it's been ok there too.

#22 Lifesgood

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

DH is a bit of an exercise nut so he is doing circuit in the backyard and the kids join him. We are going out for long walks whenever possible.

I've found with DS (Year 4) that 3 hours of school work is enough each day. We do 2 x 30 mins each in the morning session (English),  middle session (Maths) and afternoon session (rotates through all the other subjects). Half hour for recess, 1 hour for lunch. The teacher sets a task for each session which takes about 30 mins and then I set another task eg. reading, Mathletics, researching a topic and making some notes.

I'm also allowing him to Skype his friends each lunchtime and after school so he feels a bit connected.

DD (Year 9) is struggling emotionally. We are battling to get her to get dressed in the morning, brush her teeth, shower in the evening, come out of her room. She is making all the mistakes.

#23 iwanttosleepin

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

We start Monday - DH and I working from home.  He always works from home but 3 kids plus me as well is going to be a serious change.

We won't insist on school work for 3 weeks.  Youtube will get a workout. the kids are having 14 days in isolation and then they can go to the grandparents house (just up the road).

I also have 2 staff - both who are not ready for this!  One doesn't have internet at home and the other one learnt how to use Teams, Zoom and the server today.  

I did a click and collect from BWS today.  Its lucky that Campari and Aperol don't count as spirits... cause I had 2 bottles of gin as well and wine. And my teenager keeps drinking my soda water.  Aghh.

#24 -Emissary-

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

Overall I’m ready for DH to go back to work and DS to go back to school and it’s only week 1.

The internet speed has been slow and DH complained today that me watching Netflix slowed him down. I told him to get work to organise a 4G modem for him as it’s unfair on me not being able to watch TV..

I’m not monitoring DS (in year 7) or home schooling him as I have a 3 month old DS2 who clings onto my breast almost 24/7. He does his work in the living room though and I warned him that his teachers are checking attendances for all his classes

The food situation has been overwhelming. I’m not used to thinking about 3 meals a day for DS who is the worlds pickiest eater...

If I wasn’t breastfeeding, I’d have already gone through all our alcohol by now (and we have a decent collection...)

Edited by -Emissary-, 26 March 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#25 Treasure Island

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

OMG just trying to help DS3 with an assignment on his school laptop and word isn't working properly so took ages to do stupid little things. Then tried to email it to my laptop to print and its in one note which for whatever reason we had trouble then logging into (don't know why it didn't just send it as a word file??). So have given up, he'll have to print it at school tomorrow. Whole thing should have been much easier than it was!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.