Companies profiting from covid-19

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 JoanFontaine

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

1. Foxtel. You can’t lower the value of your package online, but need to call. They have suspended their call centre. So, I’m paying $29 for sport, when there is no sport. So I had to add 2 new packages, one of which I already had, to ensure the overall price of my package  didn’t drop, so that I could get rid of sport online. Very uncool. 😡

Edited by JoanFontaine, 28 March 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#2 lizzzard

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:08 PM

Honestly... there is conduct risk galore (ie the risk of companies doing the wrong thing) left, right and centre at the moment. I would say, in many cases they don’t necessarily realise they are behaving poorly.... if could simply be incompetence, distraction, the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, or rationalising it as ‘nothing is more important than the safety of our staff’. Of course, in other cases it’s also going to be blatant opportunism... Just another side effect of what’s going on right now....

#3 Amica

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Send them a message and have it saved. Tell them of your intent and that you will expect your refund to be back dated.

#4 literally nobody

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

I happily cancelled foxtel in favour for netflix at 3 times the cheaper rate.

#5 Mose

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:19 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 28 March 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

Honestly... there is conduct risk galore (ie the risk of companies doing the wrong thing) left, right and centre at the moment. I would say, in many cases they don’t necessarily realise they are behaving poorly.... if could simply be incompetence, distraction, the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, or rationalising it as ‘nothing is more important than the safety of our staff’. Of course, in other cases it’s also going to be blatant opportunism... Just another side effect of what’s going on right now....

This.

I think there is some profiteering happening. But mostly it's people trying to have good ideas on responding to the crisis without necessarily considering broader ramifications.

#6 DaLittleEd

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

I got an email from Vuly (we have a trampoline). I was so disgusted by it that I deleted it, should probably have sent them a email back to complain.

It was all picture of happy families, twee messages about having fun family time in the backyard in the current situation. All well and good, but it came off completely like a marketing email. And it didn't contain any useful information like - if they have stock, are they still shipping etc, what they are doing to keep staff safe etc.

Compared to a play equipment manufacturer based near me, who sent an email to say the showroom is shut for safety, online ordering still available but some delays as marked on website, and introduced free delivery to the adjacent metro area.

Vuly also has a huge thing on the website about prices increasing due to covid19 and the Aussie dollar. It just feels like a profit making exercise, especially as they are all like "5 days to price rises of up to $500, order Now!!!".

Eta - will unlikely to purchase anything from Vuly now.

Edited by DaLittleEd, 28 March 2020 - 12:27 PM.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

Foxtel has made the entire range available to all subscribers so I’m not sure why you had to add anything. My understanding is that it’s all available to everyone with a subscription.

#8 Meepy

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

I just checked our Foxtel and we definitely don’t have the entire range.  I wish we did.

#9 rileys-mum

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

I don’t think Foxtel is profiteering at all.
They have opened the full subscription to sports subscribers.
Their product (sport) has been taken away, they are just trying to satisfy customers.

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

I've heard of a number of good things, but also not so good.

It's very easy for companies to talk the talk, then when people go to access said help, find they have to jump through all sorts of hoops.

That Vuly email is disgraceful, pp.  Yes, the dollar's not doing great, my refund from my Japan accommodation made us a profit of 15% in only a handful of months.  We have been asked to share the pain. Vuly might have earned some friends by saying they were suspending the price increases for the next x months, knowing how important backyard exercise is going to be.    Hope they learn their lesson from the response.

#11 JoanFontaine

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

Expelliarmus said:

1585362554[/url]' post='18597708']
Foxtel has made the entire range available to all subscribers so I’m not sure why you had to add anything. My understanding is that it’s all available to everyone with a subscription.

not true. Movies was not included. They added kids and docos for free this week. I don’t really want them. Both are $10 add ons. I added movies for $20 and docos, which i already had, for $10, so I could remove sports at $29. It’s dishonest, or disingenuous to say the least.

at this difficult time, if you’re going to cancel your whole phone support system, then at least let me change my package online.

Edited by JoanFontaine, 28 March 2020 - 12:54 PM.

#12 lizzzard

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

Wow, that Vuly example is a major marketing fail. Talk about misreading the mood of their target market :omg:

#13 DaLittleEd

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, I feel like I should drop Vuly an email expressing my dismay, but don't think I have the emotional energy right now.

#14 Lifesgood

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Gosh. Imagine Foxtel behaving badly.

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

*admits to listening with half an ear to the Foxtel thing.

#16 DaLittleEd

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

I decided to email Vuly. Let them know that I will not be making any further purchases from them.

#17 magic_marker

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

Went to a little shop to buy my regular 20kg bag of rice. Triple the price.
Reporting them to the ACCC.

#18 Fourteenyears

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

View PostDaLittleEd, on 28 March 2020 - 12:25 PM, said:

It was all picture of happy families, twee messages about having fun family time in the backyard in the current situation. All well and good, but it came off completely like a marketing email. And it didn't contain any useful information like - if they have stock, are they still shipping etc, what they are doing to keep staff safe etc.

Wouldnt bother ordering from them now anyway.  

My daughter put her foot through our Vuly net the other day.  No problem there - it’s a few years old and has had a tough life.  

But when we ordered a new one (she can’t tumble on the trampoline without it), the website let the order through just fine, but then we got a phone call saying it will take a loooooong time to arrive because of supply chain issues out of China.

#19 Rummonkey

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:40 PM

I went to cancel foxtel (via their text message service which irks me to NO end- they’re quick to allow you to upgrade via their website but heaven forbid you want to downgrade) and was promptly given the entire service for free until the end of May.

#20 Chocolate Addict

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Foxtel adding every thing except movies is stupid. I don't have movies or sport but have everything else.

I used to have movies but never really watched, I would now cos there is bugger all on the other channels. Good thing I have netflix.

Not sure why you had to pay for the things they are offering for free.

#21 -Emissary-

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

We have Kayo for $15 a month.

I asked DH if he wants to cancel it (which can be done online) but he’s keen to keep it as we get a $10 discount off the basic subscription until April next year and he hopes sports will be back in a couple of month.

I’m happy to keep it as we can still afford it. We have Netflix and Disney+ as well.

Maybe after this is all over, have a look into Kayo? It’s own by Foxtel though..

Edited by -Emissary-, 28 March 2020 - 01:59 PM.

#22 #notallcats

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:17 PM

I'm going to add Woolies and Coles.  They've stopped all their specials, except Easter stuff.  They say it's because they can't guarantee supply but I call BS on that.  Ok yes they can't guarantee supply but that's not a reason to stop specials.

So now at a time when people are losing their jobs, and Coles and Woolies are probably getting double people coming through their doors at great profit, they are offering no specials, just every day prices.

#23 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

Weren't specials always done at the expense of the product company rather than the supermarket?

#24 Fourteenyears

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

View Post#notallcats, on 28 March 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

I'm going to add Woolies and Coles.  They've stopped all their specials, except Easter stuff.  They say it's because they can't guarantee supply but I call BS on that.  Ok yes they can't guarantee supply but that's not a reason to stop specials.

So now at a time when people are losing their jobs, and Coles and Woolies are probably getting double people coming through their doors at great profit, they are offering no specials, just every day prices.

I think Woolies is doing an exceptional job, rather than profiteering.

They are paying their casuals if they need to self isolate, they have temporarily waived rent for other retailers in Woolies owned shopping centres, they are rolling out Perspex shields to improve staff safety.  All this is costing them a fortune.    

There is a big difference between no longer discounting and actively profiteering.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 28 March 2020 - 02:24 PM, said:

Weren't specials always done at the expense of the product company rather than the supermarket?

Yes, suppliers pay for specials, not supermarkets.

Edited by born.a.girl, 28 March 2020 - 02:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.