Pears, Pumpkin and walnuts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nom_de_plume

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:43 PM

So I did a bit of a fridge, freezer and pantry inventory today and I have a few random things that need using up ASAP. Specifically pears, pumpkin and walnuts.

I thought the pears and nuts could make some kind of dessert (muffins? cake? crumble?) and i'm not sure what to do with the pumpkin other than soup. The pumpkin is homegrown by some friends of ours and it's huuuuuge.

Does anyone have some recipes they can recommend?

#2 rosie28

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

https://www.daringgo...ar-walnut-cake/

This cake is delicious. Maybe make pumpkin scones? Or a pumpkin pie? Now I want a pumpkin pie...but I’d probably just roast it and serve with every meal until gone. Or roast it and use in salad, maybe with maple toasted walnuts!

#3 BBC

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Pumpkin risotto
Pumpkin and chickpea curry

#4 Froyohoho

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

I'd do pear and walnut salad.
And yep the pumpkin could go in soups and curries. Great for stocking the freezer.

Edited by Froyohoho, 28 March 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#5 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

Dice, blanche and freeze most of the pumpkin. I find it handy to saute and add to salads.

Cook up the pears for pie filling and freeze. Goes well on vanilla icecream as well, yum.

I've done an apple, pumpkin and walnut salad before, I imagine pear would work instead?

#6 Etta

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

I am sure you would work these three into a pizza. Googling I can find recipes for combinations of 2 of these - I am sure you could get all three happening.

#7 BusbyWilkes

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

Pizza topping - pear, walnut and blue cheese
                       - pumpkin, olive and caramelised onion
Pasta - pumpkin ravioli (if you’ve got time to make your own)
          - store bought with roast pumpkin, red onion and burnt butter sauce
Pumpkin pie - didn’t think It would be liked, but everyone loved it
Salads
Risotto

Good items to have too much of!

#8 Silverstreak

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Maybe a pear and walnut tart, pumpkin soup and pumpkin risotto?

#9 Isolated Old Elf

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin scones
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin bread
Pumpkin muffins
Pumpkin pie
Caramelise the walnuts and add to pie once cooked

#10 Riotproof

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:28 PM

I assume the pears are too ripe for salad? I’m toying with the idea of a pear butter to go on toast/bread.
I have also poached pears before with some spices and a tiny bit of sugar to have on yoghurt, pancakes etc.

#11 IamtheMumma

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:34 PM

I'd make a salad. Got any feta or strong cheese? Cube the pumpkin and then roast it. Add pear slices, cheese and walnuts to lettuce. Add whatever meat you have sliced thinly. Yum.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 28 March 2020 - 04:35 PM.

#12 nom_de_plume

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Riotproof, on 28 March 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

I assume the pears are too ripe for salad? I’m toying with the idea of a pear butter to go on toast/bread.
I have also poached pears before with some spices and a tiny bit of sugar to have on yoghurt, pancakes etc.

Yes the pears are over ripe. Probably past the salad stage, although I'll store these salad ideas for summer BBQs. They sound delicious!

I'm liking the idea of the caramelized pear and walnut cake. Looks easy enough to adapt to GF and lactose free too.

The pumpkin could realistically do 2-3 dishes. I think it's easily 3kg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.