So has anyone on here tested positive?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Cat12

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

So, I hope this isn’t insensitive to ask as I’m aware there is at least one member who has lost a relative to the virus. But I was wondering if anyone on here has tested positive. I don’t know anyone in my limited circle and I live regionally.

Cat.

#2 Aquamarine

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:35 PM

I also don't know anyone who has tested positive, or even suspected..

#3 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:11 PM

Two degrees of separation for me. My coworker was booked to go on the Ruby Princess but thankfully cancelled.  Coworker's friends still went on the cruise. One of those friends is now positive.

#4 Moo-me

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

My friend is suspect (they are very very sick) but can’t get tested as they aren’t aware they have been in contact with a confirmed positive case or been overseas.

It worries me if they are positive and can’t get tested how inaccurate the reported figures are...

#5 *~*emma*~*

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:16 AM

View PostMoo-me, on 29 March 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

My friend is suspect (they are very very sick) but can’t get tested as they aren’t aware they have been in contact with a confirmed positive case or been overseas.

It worries me if they are positive and can’t get tested how inaccurate the reported figures are...

This! Could of randomly been at the supermarket with someone who had all the triggers.

We need to test for symptoms !

#6 qak

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:36 AM

I think the COVID-19 symptom checker tool has changed:

https://www.healthdi...om-checker/tool

You no longer need to have 'contact' to be sent to ED.

#7 AIR

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

My son was tested two weeks ago as he was sick (he has pulmonary hypertension and has a PICC line to his heart running medication 24hrs a day keeping him alive)

Even though we’d have been self isolating and he hadn’t left the home in over two weeks, I was still having to interact with people due to needing groceries/medications.

The doctor didn’t want to be complacent given how serious covid 19 would be for him he was tested.

At a clinic that was only doing covid 19 testing, we had to wait outside call them, then given masks while waiting outside they prepared the room.

It took longer for the lady to put on PPE than to do test were out in about 10mins went straight home to isolate until we got the results (which were negative thank goodness)results were back by the next day.

I’m glad the doctor was proactive

It is very frustrating that they had such stringent rules about who can be tested, glad they appear to have changed that.

#8 robhat

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

Not me, but I have friends who have family or friends who have tested positive and I know plenty of people put into isolation because there was a case at their workplace or similar.

My husband's office has been shut down due to a case in their building and his company requested that he isolate. We aren't going anywhere anyway. Haven't been anywhere at all except a few walks around the block for exercise.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

The person my husband shared and office with tried to get tested a few weeks ago so we were a little nervous she met all the requirements expect being overseas and it was so complicated she gave up (we don't blame her at all!) and the three of us were sick a few a weeks ago but we think it was something DS picked up at camp.

Apart from feeling weird and having colds and feeling off we had no real concerns we had it nor would they have tested us if we tried to.

So not sure but I doubt it - I do not personally know of a positive case

#10 gravity1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

I work with someone whose son and daughter in law have tested positive. She has not been in contact with them as they live interstate and it’s hard for her not being able to be there for them.

#11 PurplePaperFrog

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:33 PM

My close friend has tested positive.

She had no symptoms except for no sense of taste and smell.

She's very lucky.

#12 alchetta

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:04 AM

I have a friend who is sick with it but outside Australia. The rest of her family likely has it too but won't be tested due to the strain on resources.

I have cold symptoms but don't meet testing criteria. Am self isolating anyway and will try to get a telehealth appointment if I don't improve rapidly.

#13 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:39 AM

I know of a few who think they had it, but in the UK. No one was eligible for testing.

#14 Crombek

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:11 AM

I don't know them personally, but a couple a block away tested positive after one of the cruise ships. They are self isolating now, I hope they were previously...

#15 Hands Up

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:18 AM

A team member’s husband has it. My team member herself has come back negative but is obviously still in isolation due to sharing a household with a known case.

#16 Charli73

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:33 AM

While I don’t know anyone there are known multiple cases in two suburbs near me, I worry it is getting closer..

#17 José

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:40 AM

I don't know of anyone confirmed or suspected.

#18 Let-it-go

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

I know someone who’s parent died in Europe.

Edited by Let-it-go, 01 April 2020 - 07:02 AM.

#19 annodam

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

Mums SIL in Greece passed away about 2wks ago, no funeral just a quick burial.
She was old yes but still...
I think mum will be next, she’s not isolating at all & keeps going about her day like nothing’s happened, you’d think with her SlL dying, she’d be proactive but nope.
Also, a colleague at DHs work passed away after Lunar New Year.   He came back from China to work for a week, then was off sick for around 2wks, then they were notified he’d passed away.
Still waiting to hear from the family.
Very suspicious circumstances but DHs work took every precaution regardless.
Plus most of the workers there work with HazChem, so they’re adequately dressed with protective attire anyway.

DDs friend from Uni had to self-isolate due to coming into contact with someone who had CV, Her symptoms were mild, just a dry cough & sore throat.

#20 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:28 AM

View PostJosé, on 01 April 2020 - 06:40 AM, said:

I don't know of anyone confirmed or suspected.

same, i don’t know of anyone confirmed or suspected.

#21 null

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

We have had a member of our extended family who tested positive in Australia. He is around 70 years old. He had recently been travelling overseas. From when he was tested to when he was hospitalised was 5 days. After a further 2 days he was in ICU on ventilation. I don't know how long he was ventilated for but he is out of hospital now and doing okay.

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:41 AM

I might have it . I am isolating myself with flu symptoms. I feel fine now besides a sore throat . I probably don’t have it my symptoms seem more like the flu and I don’t have the dry cough .

i would like to be tested but don’t fit the criteria so it’s sort of annoying I will never really know .

#23 lizzzard

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

OI hopefully there be a test for whether you have antibodies - that will tell you whether you’ve had it or not. That test will still take some time before it’s widely available but it should be before the vaccine as far as I understand.

#24 null

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:51 AM

View Postqak, on 30 March 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

I think the COVID-19 symptom checker tool has changed:

https://www.healthdi...om-checker/tool

You no longer need to have 'contact' to be sent to ED.

Whether or not that means you get tested though may be another matter.

From https://www.health.g...ovid-19#testing

You will only be tested if your doctor decides you meet the criteria:
  • You have returned from overseas in the past 14 days and you develop respiratory illness with or without fever
  • You have been in close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days and you develop respiratory illness with or without fever
  • You have severe community-acquired pneumonia and there is no clear cause
  • You are a healthcare worker who works directly with patients and you have a respiratory illness and a fever
There is a global shortage of the test kits that pathologists use to diagnose COVID-19. This is why we are doing targeted testing instead of widespread testing.

#25 lozoodle

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

I sort of wonder sometimes, I had a strange cold the other week that started with a few days of constant headaches which is unusual for me, but I only had a slightly runny nose for 1 day and a bit of a cough but nothing major. The thing that makes me curious is the fact that I completely lost my sense of smell even though I wasn't congested and could breath through my nose. I have a disgustingly overpowering scented candle in my office that i usually have to keep the lid on because it is so strong, I put it right under my nose and could not smell a thing! At this point in time I was still attending work in the city (large volume of people in my office) and quite a few people were unwell with similar things at the same time, but no one thought too much of it as we were all told that a runny nose etc isn't a sign.

I'd love to do the antibody test down the track out of curiosity sake.

I also wonder about DP who was really quite unwell back in early February, he had the heavy chest, raging temps, night sweats, chills on and off and the hacking cough. I think it lasted about 10 days. The rest of us got a niggly cough and soreish throat but nothing like he had. We thought he was just rundown I guess as it wasnt long after his dad passed. But then in hindsight it makes you wonder... we had people come from overseas for the funeral, who knows what they brought with them! If he had those symptoms now he'd be going to the clinic for testing for sure.

Edited by lozoodle, 01 April 2020 - 09:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.