Help me understand the park closures?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tiggy2

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:52 AM

Can’t find anything useful on govt website.
Do they mean the playgrounds are closed but the rest of the park is ok to jog through or we can’t go through the park at all?
Our local park is a big reserve with a playground, footy oval etc and a running trail that goes through it to join up to one of the long bike trails into the city. We usually run that track every day.

Any assistance finding accurate info appreciated.

#2 Cimbom

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:54 AM

Yes I'm pretty sure it is only the playground equipment

#3 kimasa

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:54 AM

Playground is closed.
Yes to jogging.

Source: employed by a VIC LGA and we all got an email about it.

#4 Bam1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

Does that mean basketball courts as well? I hope it does!

#5 JRA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:09 AM

This may vary council to council and also what sort of courts. Are they open with no fence around them?

In our area some council facilities have been locked now for a couple of weeks, but these are fenced ovals/courts

#6 dadwasathome

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:22 AM

We have a skate park (unfenced) next to a tennis court (fenced).Will be interesting to see how it's managed.

The context of the announcement appeared to be, let's stop the germ/virus factories that can be kids playground equipment and stop yoofs breaching social distancing in skate parks.

Raining in Sydney this morning but the parks and shared pathways nearby were the businest over the weekend that I've seen them in 25 years.

#7 #YKG

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

Play equipment is a no go, there was that construction fencing going up around the park across from my house this morning. The large grass area near it isn’t being closed off that I can see

#8 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

#YKG, on 30 March 2020 - 09:23 AM, said:

Play equipment is a no go, there was that construction fencing going up around the park across from my house this morning. The large grass area near it isn’t being closed off that I can see

I cant imagine my council fencing all the playgrounds off, there are literally hundreds of them!

I didnt actually realise basketball was an issue so we will avoid this from now on.  I suppose its to stop young people mixing as mentioned above rather than people in the same family.

#9 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

I wonder how it works with childcare and kindergartens?

DD aged 3 spent pretty much the entire childcare day in the sandpit.  I feel sorry for the workers having to contain a bunch of hyperactive toddlers and not being allowed to use play equipment.   Maybe balls and other toys are ok if not shared between children.

#10 hills mum bec

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

MadMarchMasterchef, on 30 March 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

DD aged 3 spent pretty much the entire childcare day in the sandpit.  I feel sorry for the workers having to contain a bunch of hyperactive toddlers and not being allowed to use play equipment.   Maybe balls and other toys are ok if not shared between children.

The playground rules don't extend to play equipment in schools or child care centres.

#11 Tokra

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

I can't imagine there would be an issue with a basketball court if there is only 1 person there at a time or you are playing with your kid.

#12 Bam1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

No problem If..... but of course at the hoops in our park there are multiple people playing and they certainly not from the same household.  No fence though so may be hard to keep people out.

The mayor of NY started taking the hoops away where social distancing wasn’t being followed.

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

The playground in the park at the end of my street has been taped off with hazard tape.

#14 Treasure Island

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Basically can go walking but nothing else. At our main park the council has put "police" tape around all the exercise equipment and bbqs and I presume the playgrounds but I can't see them from the walking track. The skate bowl has traffic barriers all over it. I presume they have done similar at at least all the larger parks. The skate bowl at the other city in our regional council area has been filled with sand lol.

Edited by Treasure Island, 30 March 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#15 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

Bam1, on 30 March 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

I would see this the same as kicking a ball around - if it is your immediate family group it's OK.  Otherwise limited to 2 people.  

Although I wouldn't play basketball or kick a footy anyway - you are both touching it and sweating on it and...... Safer to be walking/jogging/riding bikes etc.

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:02 PM

Ruf~Feral~es, on 30 March 2020 - 02:54 PM, said:

I would see this the same as kicking a ball around - if it is your immediate family group it's OK.  Otherwise limited to 2 people.  

Although I wouldn't play basketball or kick a footy anyway - you are both touching it and sweating on it and...... Safer to be walking/jogging/riding bikes etc.

I figure if there's someone infected in the household, just being in the household with them 23 hours a day is more likely to lead to infection, than half an hour of sweaty hands on a basketball.  If there's no one infected, the sweaty hands won't matter.

#17 Noodlez

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:22 PM

I see no issue with a family group passing or kicking a ball around I think to suggest that this is an issue is just a bit unrealistic.

I’m devastated that we can no longer go to a playground at a park, my two year old just won’t understand. We live in a unit with not a lot of common outside area to play in. This is the rule that I think is going to hurt the most.

Edited by Noodlez, 30 March 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#18 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

You might just have to go to parks without playgrounds like sports ovals etc so you don't have to explain why they cannot use the equipment.
I too live in a unit, maybe you could look at extra outdoor play stuff for home like a folding plastic slide, a sandpit etc. I hung a swing off the rafters of my pergola over my deck but set it up in a wy I can unhook the swing when I didn't want it in the way.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:00 PM

Noodlez, on 30 March 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

I see no issue with a family group passing or kicking a ball around I think to suggest that this is an issue is just a bit unrealistic.

I’m devastated that we can no longer go to a playground at a park, my two year old just won’t understand. We live in a unit with not a lot of common outside area to play in. This is the rule that I think is going to hurt the most.

Yeah, it's going to be hard when kids are too young to understand.

Unfortunately the virus lives on hard surfaces the longest, up to three days, from anything I've read, so stuff like playground equipment would be impossible to keep appropriately santised.

#20 needs to get out

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

And people don't get it. We have a playground over the road from our house. Mum asked last night if we had been letting the children go over and play on it.

No, we haven't, and no we shouldn't have been. She didn't seem to get why I was worried...

#21 Mmmcheese

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:11 PM

MadMarchMasterchef, on 30 March 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

It doesn't work. Some of the things I've read on Facebook cannot be at all good for children's emotional wellbeing. It is just a big risky place right now. We did our best before the holidays, but I'm glad to have a break as I don't know how it's sustainable at all.

#22 Dustyblue

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

Expelliarmus, on 30 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

The playground in the park at the end of my street has been taped off with hazard tape.

Same. It's the only fenced-off kiddie park in town, and I guess I can see the point of closing it.

But urrrgh, DS3 is not happy. I really, really feel for people with multiple kiddos stuck indoors... I'm already about to lose it.

#23 WaitForMe

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

needs to get out, on 30 March 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

And people don't get it. We have a playground over the road from our house. Mum asked last night if we had been letting the children go over and play on it.

No, we haven't, and no we shouldn't have been. She didn't seem to get why I was worried...

Yeah... it was a challenge explaining to DD, when cycling past a playground and seeing a school friend, that she wasn't allowed...

My expectation is they will stick a big sign up, like a real estate board, at the bigger playgrounds. We have lots of little ones dotted around, I'd be surprised they do anything for them.

Or maybe they'll do nothing at any of them. It becomes the police/army responsibility to move people along.

#24 dadwasathome

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

I just walked past a couple of playgrounds and several sets of exercise equipment. All taped up with warning tape.

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

WaitForMe, on 30 March 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yeah... it was a challenge explaining to DD, when cycling past a playground and seeing a school friend, that she wasn't allowed...

My expectation is they will stick a big sign up, like a real estate board, at the bigger playgrounds. We have lots of little ones dotted around, I'd be surprised they do anything for them.

Or maybe they'll do nothing at any of them. It becomes the police/army responsibility to move people along.

Pretty easy to wrap some tape around most of them. We have a lot of council employees who could do it in one day for ours.

Obviously that's not going to stop someone who's determined, but it might stop all of those who need that 'extra message' that this is serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.