School Holidays & COVID-19

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JRA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:56 AM

So, for some of us, school holidays are happening already.

So what are you up to on the "holidays" if you are not working? What are your kids up to?

Me - I am not working on the holidays. Have a bit of prep for work after the holidays, but am enjoying getting some cross-stitch done, as well as moving my swimming/exercise to our own pool.  

DS- He is happily gaming with his friends, although feeling cooped up after so long not being able to do anything with a broken leg.

What are you doing? What project?  Go on, share a photo of it.

#2 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

cut down a tree/bush.  it was infested with Euros
Still need to clean up after the cutting down.

Does anyone know if wood that has been spayed with permethrin can be burned?

#3 lizzzard

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 30 March 2020 - 12:13 PM, said:

cut down a tree/bush.  it was infested with Euros
Still need to clean up after the cutting down.

Does anyone know if wood that has been spayed with permethrin can be burned?

🤣🤣🤣

#4 Fi Fy Festive Fo

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:09 PM

Honestly, I am dreading the nsw school hols. I'll be off work for the first week and no I idea how we will pass the days... school and wfh are hard enough.
I expect there will be lots of walks, lots of movies and eating

#5 Araucaria

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:21 PM

Me - working on learning plans for term 2 (online and face to face because we don't know what is happening0.  Working on craft projects.  Sorting out the house.

DS - Lego, drawing, playing with the dogs, digging holes in the backyard, bouncing on the trampoline, playing in the sandpit, doing Prodigy.  

So, situation normal really.

#6 chicken_bits

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:46 PM

I have two primary school aged kids (5 and 8) so school holidays at home is interesting.

Being in Vic we've already had 8 days at home and I've got them on a "fun school" schedule to stop them going crazy, keep my husband sane (we live in a small 2 br apartment with no backyard and he's WFH) and stop me from going crazy.

Lots of lego, virtual playdates with friends, science experiments, youtube exercise, screen time and imaginary play.

Edited by chicken_bits, 01 April 2020 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Julie3Girls

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

I have no idea ... Dd is going to be working over the Easter long weekend, but he actually had booked a week and half of annual leave (which has been sooooo rare) and we’d planned to go away.
Now, I’m going to have 3 teenage girls home, and a very bored husband at home with me, with nothing to do. Going to be a long holiday.

#8 Ernegirl

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:40 PM

I heard myself promise DD we can go camping in the back yard.  DH blissfully unaware as yet.

We are also going to do a DIY Easter Hat parade. And actually I'd like an Easter Wine hunt for me.

#9 Freddie'sMum

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:49 PM

We will do what we are doing now - but without any schoolwork.  The kids will get to sleep in.  DH will continue to WFH.  I will eat all the chocolate in the house and everyone will have far too much screen time.

#10 Bearynice

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:59 PM

I’m working hard on drinking all the coffee

Kids: LEGO, art/ drawing, lots of reading, outside in garden, chatting to school friends, playing on Nintendo switch, eating

#11 (feral)epg

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:26 PM

Much as I'm finding the school work dreadful - I'm dreading the days without it even more!
7yo DD quite likes doing worksheets etc so at least it's keeping her amused.
I'm dreading that it's probably going to start raining as well and then we'll all be climbing walls for amusement

#12 Fi Fy Festive Fo

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:14 AM

View PostErnegirl, on 01 April 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

We are also going to do a DIY Easter Hat parade. And actually I'd like an Easter Wine hunt for me.

Wine hunt sounds like a great idea!

#13 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:52 AM

I’ve told DD8 that she can do an Easter egg hunt for DH and I. She is very keen. As to actual school holidays, far out... dunno. Prob LEGO and drawing etc like PPs. Dh and I will both be trying to work. Well, he’ll just continue and I’ll do my best (it’s my own biz so I’m much more flexible).

#14 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:18 AM

nothing. we’re doing nothing. screens, tv..an hour outside for exercise unless by then that’s verboten. how ****ing depressing. it’s a completely sh*t situation.

#15 kimasa

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:30 AM

I've been stood down as of this week so now I'm free as a bird to sit around the house.

We've got a daily activity jar and we pull a random activity out of it every morning, then make up a day schedule incorporating that activity.

Seems to be working. DD pulled out "big clean up day" today though, so today she's not so enthusiastic.

She loved make a movie day.

#16 red_squirrel

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:13 AM

All sorts of stuff.

On a serious note I’m trying to teach them life skills that we are all just too busy to teach them at other times. This can be anything from how to clean various things, cook, use appliances etc to how to fix things (providing Bunnings stays open).

On an educational note - I swear- I am teaching them how to systematise and classify objects on scientific properties by getting them to sort through all the things I never got around to like the kitchen drawers. You have to have a kid that likes matching or organising things otherwise they will consider it slave labour. It’s a win for me for now.

Then as a fun thing we are going to make a scarecrow to guard our newly planted beans, strawberries and herbs. I never got around to Marie Kondoing so have more junk to make this than the Playschool useful box.

Besides that he have a switch and iPads and books.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:26 AM

I have fences to strain, 4000 spare beehives to strip, repair and paint, kilos of wax to purify, an acre of lavender to plant out - and now I have a captive workforce!

There’s probably going to be quite a bit of playing with foster kittens, Nintendo, bickering and Roblox with school friends too.

#18 *Marty*

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:28 AM

View Postkimasa, on 02 April 2020 - 07:30 AM, said:

I've been stood down as of this week so now I'm free as a bird to sit around the house.

We've got a daily activity jar and we pull a random activity out of it every morning, then make up a day schedule incorporating that activity.

Seems to be working. DD pulled out "big clean up day" today though, so today she's not so enthusiastic.

She loved make a movie day.

Sorry to hear that you have been stood down.

Can you please post the list of activities in the jar?

Or can other people add ideas.

Doing nothing hear apart from our daily walk/bike ride and way too much screen/ps4/tv :(

#19 Sentient Puddle

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:46 AM

It has been ok here so far for school holidays + a week in Vic.  DS has been working on an essay - some music practice for both DS and DD but mostly a lot of movie watching, tik tokking (is that even a word) working on a gigantic puzzle, walking the dog, gardening and pottering around.  Yesterday we got fast food for lunch just to go further than the dog walk and got drive through.  We are taking it easy and even though I was up at 5,30 as per usual the kids are still in bed - one asleep and one ipad watching.  

We are just taking it slow and trying to be calm and kind to each other.  This last bit is taking a bit of work but are trying not to watch too much news and slowly establishing a new normal that doesn't involve going out.  Quite a change to our previous normal!

#20 WaitForMe

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

We are juggling two jobs but I was actually thinking yesterday that my kids are having a school holiday much like what I had except without the neighbourhood kids. Hours of minimal supervision, not going anywhere, just making your own fun out of things you find along the way.

They came in to show me this massive red bruise welt looking thing on my 4yos, looked kinda like a burn except they had massive smiles on their faces, and the 7yo had a yellowy brown looking one. After a brief moment of panic they announced they had made "aboriginal body paint" out of crushed rocks, dirt and chalk mixed with water. Lol.

Of course, there are those idilic moments with many moments of fighting in between, and asking if today we can go to the museum/scienceworks/art gallery/pool/city/anywhere but here.

#21 livvie7586

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:45 PM

https://www.cardsaga...ilyedition.com/

Not sure if this will help anyone, but it seemed to be the appropriate place to post.

#22 Treasure Island

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

Projects around the house. I bought 5 puzzles and we have done 1 so far, Netflix movie marathons, will also hire some on BigPond since no cinema these hols, gaming, youtube and social media as usual, baking etc.

I also have a Zoom job interview next Wed so that will be interesting. My study is open plan. I will have to lock everyone in their rooms, including the cat :rofl:

#23 IkeaAddict

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:57 PM

View PostFreddie, on 01 April 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

We will do what we are doing now - but without any schoolwork.  The kids will get to sleep in.  DH will continue to WFH.  I will eat all the chocolate in the house and everyone will have far too much screen time.

This, but without the DH LOL

I have 50% shared care of DS with my ex who is fine to have DS with him on normal days etc even though he's working from home. We have both resigned ourselves to the fact that more screentime will be happening.

Virtual playdates with his friends over skype as well

#24 No Drama Please

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

I’m going to look at all the overseas galleries and museums etc that have free online tours at the moment. Do some baking, make the lockdown loaf. Buy some edible plants for the balcony.

Watch that tiger whatever thing on Netflix. Stand on the balcony and judge people’s social distancing, so far everyone I’ve seen as been alone or only two people! Are we allowed to go for a drive and look at the beach if we don’t get out of the car?

^ actually just found out no we can’t go for a drive and look at the beach; answered in another thread!

Edited by No Drama Please, 03 April 2020 - 02:14 PM.

#25 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:07 PM

If we go back to school on day one of term 2, we will have already had 5 weeks off.  

Normally school holidays include playdates, going to parks, hanging out at home, occasional cinema visits, going to the mall.  We generally don't go away due to work commitments but also financially we can't.

After 2 weeks, people are starting to get frayed here already.  School officially finished today.  I am bored, I am tired of being cooped up, I am very tired of having no space or alone time - so totally get the kids feeling like this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.