Do you think this passes the new “gathering” rule?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 zande

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:14 PM

In my culdesac every Friday we have drinks on my neighbour’s porch - there’d be max 12 of us usually. We haven’t done it now for the past couple of weeks due to Coronavirus (some neighbours elderly but still fighting fit). A couple of the group asked today whether we could find a way to still catch up as a few of us really depend on that once a week catch-up.

If we each sat on our own driveway and chatted across the road, would we be contravening the law? We are taking it very seriously and don’t want to endanger anyone, but we have a couple of neighbours for whom this is their only real people contact. WDYT?

#2 #YKG

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

If people happen to be in their own driveways and not on each other’s properties it might pass, not entirely sure.
Wouldn’t you have to yell at each other to talk?

#3 Anonforthistime

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:26 PM

Each in your own driveway, assuming there is at least 2mt between you all, I would think is acceptable.
Might need to shout but could be a fun way to keep the spirits up. I think it’s like the Italians singing from their balconies :)

#4 Sandra

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

My brother did that in his street, they sat in driveway and used  phones on speaker to hear each other. Maybe find a voice chat app you can all use so you can hear each other if there arena few households?

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me.

#6 justbreath

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

Yep I think that would be fine.

Another question... I’m a single mum of 3, my parents were my main support but are now isolating. I work part time in a frontline service. I am good friends with my neighbour, also a mum to 3, also a frontline worker (married to another frontline worker). She works part time the opposite days to me. We have been swapping our children on the days we work so we can keep them home from school. With the new rules I initially thought this would be fine as it’s in a private home but now people are suggesting even in a private home it isn’t ok. So where does this leave me? Am I forced to send my kids to school (as is she) rather than break the “2 together” rule or are there exceptions?

#7 #YKG

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

From the explanation last night of 10 people living in the home you can have 1 extra body that doesn’t live there.
My understanding was to limit extra people to 1 in addition to residents of the property.

How many kids do the neighbours have?

Edited by #YKG, 30 March 2020 - 08:46 PM.

#8 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:48 PM

I wouldn't do it.  Use zoom, skype or facetime sure.  But not out in a visible public place.  It's a very grey area and no one is 100% sure what will or won't get them into trouble or fined.

#9 justbreath

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

View Post#YKG, on 30 March 2020 - 08:46 PM, said:

From the explanation last night of 10 people living in the home you can have 1 extra body that doesn’t live there.
My understanding was to limit extra people to 1 in addition to residents of the property.

How many kids do the neighbours have?

3. We both have 3, so on the days she works I have all 6 kids and on the days I work she has all 6.

#10 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

i’d do it....but maybe i play a bit fast and loose with this sort of stuff. if it’s good for your well being and mental health then I’d run the risk...i’d even be prepared to cop the fine....

#11 blimkybill

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

View Postjustbreath, on 30 March 2020 - 08:43 PM, said:

Yep I think that would be fine.

Another question... I’m a single mum of 3, my parents were my main support but are now isolating. I work part time in a frontline service. I am good friends with my neighbour, also a mum to 3, also a frontline worker (married to another frontline worker). She works part time the opposite days to me. We have been swapping our children on the days we work so we can keep them home from school. With the new rules I initially thought this would be fine as it’s in a private home but now people are suggesting even in a private home it isn’t ok. So where does this leave me? Am I forced to send my kids to school (as is she) rather than break the “2 together” rule or are there exceptions?
I think if i were you I would still do that. Even though it doesn't strictly meet the "rules", firstly you are doing it so you can work in an essential service, not for leisure. That makes a big difference as far as rules are concerned. Secondly, the alternative of using school or OOSHC results in a higher level of potential viral spread than what you are doing.
So I would definitely keep it up.

#12 katpaws

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

Can I ask perspectives on this? Can you meet someone for a (takeaway) coffee or walk, there'd only be two people.

I'm without support atm and  want to catch up with a friend who is supporting me through a tough time and i cant go by without some form of real interaction, like a hug.

Do the new restrictions mean I can't do this?

#13 Fossy

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:40 PM

Technically illegal but hard to police.
Is it a gathering of more than 2 people or is it just a coincidence you all decided to sit outside and enjoy the afternoon sun?

#14 gracie1978

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

It's allowed in NZ

#15 Sancti-claws

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

You can't hug your friend, Katpaws.

I have made a deal with my neighbour that we put chairs on either side of our fence (at least 2 m apart) with our respective cups of tea and have a tea session in the morning before I start work/family stuff to get her some social contact at least.  We will do the same in the afternoons when I finish work.

She is heartbroken and feeling really quite over the whole thing - and keeps getting bullying (no doubt well meaning) phone calls from her children banning her from going outside of her home.

#16 zande

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:51 PM

Thanks all, seems like it’s a grey area so we’ll give it a miss :-(

#17 lozoodle

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:08 PM

If you're on your own property I can't see the issue?

How's it any different from your neighbours being out gardening their front yards at the same time as you, for instance?

No one  is actually near each other or mixing space or touching the same objects!

#18 Murderino

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

My BIL did this with the neighbours over the road tonight. He was in his driveway in a chair and the people from the two houses directly opposite were in their driveways. Everyone was well over 3 metres apart do I don’t think that would count as a gathering.

#19 Odd-1-Out

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:16 PM

If you are on your own properties you should be able to do what you like.

#20 Ellie bean

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

View Postkatpaws, on 30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

Can I ask perspectives on this? Can you meet someone for a (takeaway) coffee or walk, there'd only be two people.

I'm without support atm and  want to catch up with a friend who is supporting me through a tough time and i cant go by without some form of real interaction, like a hug.

Do the new restrictions mean I can't do this?
My understanding is you can do it but stand 1.5m apart? I was planning a walk with a friend on that basis

#21 Kafkaesque

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:27 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 30 March 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

My understanding is you can do it but stand 1.5m apart? I was planning a walk with a friend on that basis

My understanding is that it is only recommended to be exercising with members of your household. While It wouldn’t breach the rules for “gatherings” it isn’t the socially responsible thing IMHO.

#22 SFmummyto3

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:03 AM

I’m a bit confused. There’s four in my household, me plus three teenagers. Are we all allowed out at the same time to go walking for exercise?
If so, can we walk next to each other, say two in front and two behind?

#23 Lesley225

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:11 AM

If you live alone it is fine to walk with someone else for safety
  That's why they have allowed 2.

#24 BadCat

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:12 AM

Edited by BadCat, 11 May 2020 - 09:09 PM.

#25 SFmummyto3

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:38 AM

Thankyou! A walk with the dog is all we can come up with for dd’s 18th this weekend :/  That or a drive somewhere, but one dd gets terrible carsickness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.